Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14500 mods?
Excalibur Offline

Likes Given: 43
Sex: Male
14500 mods?
Hi all

I've been debating which 14500 mod to buy and I just need a bit of advice. The ones I've narrowed it down to are the Ba Gua, Leo, and Gus G16. Ideally I need one in the next couple of weeks before I go away so I can't really wait for a Piccolo or Temon.

These are the questions I have:

The Ba Gua seems to get a bit of a pasting for its switch, but is it really that bad? I also wonder if its the sort of mod to take on holiday as an all-dayer? I just don't want to spend nearly £80 on something that looks nice but could break any time and requires lots of maintenance. I've also heard it has very low tolerance for battery sizes, is this a major issue?

The Leo is not available right now but I have read good things and it's relatively cheap too. Should I try the classies for one of these? Or should I go straight for a higher end 14500 mod?

The Gus G16 has a severe lack of info around it. There's maybe one or two vids on Youtube and not much on the forums. Is it well-regarded? I know there's a spring in the connector which isn't great but it seems like a decent device.

Any advice or suggestions are most welcome. Please bear in mind that I need a mod in the next fortnight so in stock or imminent would be perfect.

Thanks everyone

Mods: Nemesis Kalafan, Microstick, Pisces Mini, Hana Modz V3

Atties: Spheroid, MCV Atomic, Trident V2, Origen V2
03/09/13 10:28 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
oldgit Offline

Likes Given: 37
Sex: Other
RE: 14500 mods?
I've been using the Gus G16 for over 6 months now, and just taken delivery of my 3rd one. Paps and Gus used to work together, Gus was Paps turner, they went their separate ways but the design on the Gus is the same as the Paps piccolo v1 (I think).

I'm not a fan of the spring in the atty end but it works, I have ordered a couple of new pins from Vapist though, just to see if there is a difference. They also take the efest nipple top batteries, although you may need to either remove the spring or crush it a little using pliers if your atty has a long center pin.

The G16 really is a great little mod and is my mod of choice now, and depending on how much I vape, I usually only get through two batteries a day. Delivery from Greece was fairly quick too, here within a couple of days.

Oh, and the atties I use on mine are the Spheroid, HF mini and the DID 16 ... hope this helps.

Cheers,

Bob.
03/09/13 10:49 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
Barracuda Offline

Likes Given: 38
Tagging along with this as 14500 mods are appealing to me atm for some reason. Smiling
03/09/13 10:57 AM
Excalibur Offline

(03/09/13 10:49 AM)oldgit Wrote:  I've been using the Gus G16 for over 6 months now, and just taken delivery of my 3rd one. Paps and Gus used to work together, Gus was Paps turner, they went their separate ways but the design on the Gus is the same as the Paps piccolo v1 (I think).

I'm not a fan of the spring in the atty end but it works, I have ordered a couple of new pins from Vapist though, just to see if there is a difference. They also take the efest nipple top batteries, although you may need to either remove the spring or crush it a little using pliers if your atty has a long center pin.

The G16 really is a great little mod and is my mod of choice now, and depending on how much I vape, I usually only get through two batteries a day. Delivery from Greece was fairly quick too, here within a couple of days.

Oh, and the atties I use on mine are the Spheroid, HF mini and the DID 16 ... hope this helps.

Hi Bob

Thanks for the advice. It's really helpful. I was close to pulling the trigger on a G16 and I think I'll go for it now. Just a couple of quick questions. Which pins did you get from Vapist? Do GP parts (like telescopic centre post) work with the G16 then, seeing as they used to work together? Lastly, will aw imr 14500s work every time?

Many thanks for your help. Planning to use a Spheroid with it to so good to know that's a possibility.

Max

03/09/13 10:59 AM
BOFH Offline
Mod Makers and Sellers

Likes Given: 300
Ive got one of these http://www.cloud9vaping.co.uk/epages/yxv...-SIM-14500

Bit more expensive but its in stock and has never let me down!
03/09/13 11:06 AM
Excalibur Offline

(03/09/13 11:06 AM)BOFH Wrote:  Ive got one of these http://www.cloud9vaping.co.uk/epages/yxv...-SIM-14500

Bit more expensive but its in stock and has never let me down!

Cheers BOFH

I did have a look at these. Beautiful device but probably one for the future because of the price. I know it's not that much more than the Gus in the big scheme of things but it just looks a bit more precious to take on hols. Also kind of hoping they make one with an adjustable pin in the future, as I quite like having that option.

03/09/13 11:17 AM
johnners Offline
Seen Your member

Likes Given: 981
(03/09/13 10:59 AM)Excalibur Wrote:  
(03/09/13 10:49 AM)oldgit Wrote:  I've been using the Gus G16 for over 6 months now, and just taken delivery of my 3rd one. Paps and Gus used to work together, Gus was Paps turner, they went their separate ways but the design on the Gus is the same as the Paps piccolo v1 (I think).

Hi Bob

Thanks for the advice. It's really helpful. I was close to pulling the trigger on a G16 and I think I'll go for it now. Just a couple of quick questions. Which pins did you get from Vapist? Do GP parts (like telescopic centre post) work with the G16 then, seeing as they used to work together? Lastly, will aw imr 14500s work every time?

Many thanks for your help. Planning to use a Spheroid with it to so good to know that's a possibility.

Max

Gus mods told me recently that they no longer ship to UK from their website but have a new UK supplier. I'm waiting on a G16 as well but also on the lookout for a 14650 tube to go with it.
Here you go....
or perhaps you know of another vendor?

http://vapeemporium.com/

j.

03/09/13 11:18 AM
oldgit Offline

Likes Given: 37
Sex: Other
Hi Max,

this is what I meant http://www.vapist.net/Spares_-_GP_Telesc...00813.aspx and from what I've read, they work quite well. Don't be put off by the spring in the Gus, it also works well and tbh, until I saw a post on here a few days ago, I hadn't even thought of getting the tele center posts, but that post peaked my curiosity Wink.

I don't have any AW IMR 14500 batts but they should fit/work just fine, I only have the efest IMR's, and they work perfectly, I would suggest you go for the flat top ones though, as the spring is a little long in the Gus, I just crushed mine down so there's no gap on the threads (ocd).

You can also buy the tele post from Gus, though his one seems to have a small fuse in it instead of the spring http://gus-mod.gr/zencart_gus/index.php?...ucts_id=46

Cheers,

Bob.
03/09/13 11:19 AM
johnners Offline
Seen Your member

Likes Given: 981
(03/09/13 11:19 AM)oldgit Wrote:  Hi Max,

this is what I meant http://www.vapist.net/Spares_-_GP_Telesc...00813.aspx and from what I've read, they work quite well. Don't be put off by the spring in the Gus, it also works well and tbh, until I saw a post on here a few days ago, I hadn't even thought of getting the tele center posts, but that post peaked my curiosity Wink.

I don't have any AW IMR 14500 batts but they should fit/work just fine, I only have the efest IMR's, and they work perfectly, I would suggest you go for the flat top ones though, as the spring is a little long in the Gus, I just crushed mine down so there's no gap on the threads (ocd).

You can also buy the tele post from Gus, though his one seems to have a small fuse in it instead of the spring http://gus-mod.gr/zencart_gus/index.php?...ucts_id=46

Spare posts at Vapist been out of stock for a while. There is a possibility that the latest G16s have been upgraded like the Cores to give the option ofa solid post, or fuse or spring .. but I can't find a definite answer about that... Waiting for mine to arrive!
j

03/09/13 11:23 AM
Cookie Offline
Cookieeeeeeeeeeeeees!

Likes Given: 475
I don't think you can go too far wrong with the Leo to be honest.

I admit I have not tried the others mentioned but comparing it to other non 14500 mods I have had, for the money they are very well built, cheap and available spares are a bonus.

The wife now has two which she uses out and about and to be honest, I cannot fault them. They are happy to stand up without the locking ring done up (must have for me since getting the GP Paps 2.5's), the threading is pretty spot on and they are weighty, quality wise, without being overly heavy.

The bonus to me is you can probably get two plus some spares for the same price as one of the others.
03/09/13 11:30 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)