Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
AW IMR 18650 battery life ???
zorpie Offline

Likes Given: 90
Sex: Male
AW IMR 18650 battery life ???
Hi.

I know this is like saying 'How long is a piece of string' but I still would like to compare notes with other users on battery life.

Firstly - I am not a heavy vaper. I would say I perhaps use a 3ml tank a day and I use a mixture of Genesis devices and tanks and cartos. My preference in Genesis attys is to have coils of about 1.5 ohms and use 3.7V on my devices (approx. 9 watts - drawing approx. 2.4 amps) from my AMR IMR 18650 batteries (2000 mAh). I have four of these batteries - all purchased new in May/June last year.

The batteries used to last a whole day - I cycle them - charge, rest and use. In other words - they don't come off the charger and go straight back into the device. The charger is an XTar (six charging ports).

But now - after 6 months use - the batteries only last a matter of a few hours on whatever device I am using at the time.

I'd like to know from others - if this is the 'norm' for these type of batteries ?? I would have expected better performance from them. These are the red batteries - the genuine articles.

I also have a couple of Panasonic (grey) CGR18650CH batteries (I think these are also 2000mAh but there is no rating on the case) also bought new and a couple of AW IC 18650's at 3100mAh and these - are holding up still and lasting a day after about the same length of time. I've ordered up some 'Nitecore' IC 18650 batteries at 2600mAh - these have just arrived - they are marginally longer and fatter - but still fit my devices OK.

Any comments from other 18650 users in general ??

Regards,

Richard

10/01/13 11:15 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
HERC Offline

Likes Given: 16
RE: AW IMR 18650 battery life ???
Batteries do not have an indefinite life, every recharge will diminish the overall lifespan of the battery itself.

Maybe yours have just worn out and its time to buy some more
10/01/13 11:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
zorpie Offline

Hello Herc,

Having been in the electronics industry for about 40 years - I am well aware of the fact that batteries do not have an 'indefinite' life !!! But irrespective of that - my question was raised to enquire what other users have found as regards the battery life of these AW IMR 18650 cells in their various devices. It would be interesting to find out if I am alone with my (what I consider to be) rapid fall off in charge retention of these particular batteries after only 6 months - or not. (Edit: They certainly haven't had anywhere near 500 charge/discharge cycles. I've had them a maximum of 9 months - that is 270 days - and there are four of them - only one used at any one time. Divide 270 by four and you get an approximate 70 charge/discharge cycles. If you factor in the drop off in performance over the last couple of months or so - then you can probably increase that charge/discharge cycle to about 140 times per battery. I don't consider that anywhere near the rated 500 + charge/discharge cycles quoted by the manufacturer. NOT that I expect the batteries to give full performance when they were new right up until the end of their life - but 24 hours down to three or four hours on the device - to me - is not what I would expect after 140 charge/discharge cycles. )

Regards,

Richard

(This post was last modified: 10/01/13 11:58 AM by zorpie. )
10/01/13 11:46 AM
trog100 Offline
Vendors

Likes Given: 11
Sex: Undisclosed
Quote:Maybe yours have just worn out and its time to buy some more

perfectly correct they have and it is..

having said that at one battery per day they should last longer than six months if used properly..

this has all been discussed in depth only a few day ago.. but its a waste of time because it all rapidly goes off the front page and into the forum archives never to be read again..

trog

ps.. two link.. and good examples of why its waste time writing about this stuff.. its forgotten before its written.. Wink

http://ukvapers.org/Thread-Battery-time-measured-in-ml

http://ukvapers.org/Thread-18350-batts

(This post was last modified: 10/01/13 12:52 PM by trog100. )
10/01/13 12:40 PM
zorpie Offline

Hi Trog,

Thanks for the links. I had not seen these - so am studying them !!! However - I don't doubt what Herc said and you repeated. They are already - at just nine months old - needing replacement. Maybe that IS the norm and I'm expecting too much out of a £10 battery.

Regards,

Richard

10/01/13 01:39 PM
trog100 Offline
Vendors

Likes Given: 11
Sex: Undisclosed
the recognized norm for a rechargeable lithium cell is 300 full charge/discharge cycles and this is from as new down to 80% of as new capacity..

as such batteries go your £10 one is an expensive one..

trog

10/01/13 03:55 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes trog100's post:
Kenneth (10/01/13)
BlackwaterVaper Offline

Likes Given: 496
Sex: Female
I paid closer to £13 each for AW IMR 18650 batteries!

I worked in an industry that used lithium batteries to power everything, tested them new and when devices were returned, usually after a couple of years use.
Some batteries (none of this type, much cheaper) were faulty from new and either would not hold a charge or discharged too quickly.
Many were returned because they had been over-discharged for the chargers normally used, some after only 6 months. It may have been that these batteries were faulty but they were only checked to learn if they could be revived.
A few could be brought back to life by a long trickle charge on a normal charger. Some of those were brought back to the correct charge and held it, but this method isn't possible unless you have some rather expensive equipment used in eletronics test and diagnostics lab. On most batteries it didn't work.
Battery life will be shorter if a fast charger is used and if the battery is allowed to discharge completly each time according to graphs I've seen.

Say no to vaping ban!
I haven't quit, I've just switched from smoke to vapour!

Mods: Semovar, SVD, Vamo, Lavatube, GD twin box
Atties: Kayfun Lite +, SQuape, Igo-L dripper, phoenix dripper
10/01/13 04:13 PM
Gordon Offline

Likes Given: 45
My experience with some 18650 batteries:

2x AW IMR 1600mAh batteries in series in a Throathit VV boxmod. Over period of 15 months, no more than about 80 charge/discharge cycles with majority being about half cycles rather than full (charged after 1 day use as a posed to 2 or 3 days or when unit dead). I estimate now batteries have only about 50% capacity compared to new. These batteries have never been removed from mod as they are charged on-board.

2x Epower 2200mAh protected batteries that came with an Epower kit. These were cycled for a few months on the Epower mod, then used together in series in my home-made VV tin mod for just over 1 year. I estimate about 150 maybe 200 at most charge/discharge cycles with most being full cycles (vape until it stops). I would say these still give about 80% of the original capacity.

While the deterioration (particuylarly AW IMR) of these batteries are so far not noticeably effecting my particular vaping habits, they do not appear to be performing as well as:
Quote:the recognized norm for a rechargeable lithium cell is 300 full charge/discharge cycles and this is from as new down to 80% of as new capacity

10/01/13 07:03 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
zorpie Offline

Hi,

Thanks to Blackwater Vaper and Gordon for the additional comments. I have moved over to the other thread with this one as it is pointless keeping at least two threads going with the same sort of stuff. As there is much valuable information coming out in the other thread and it has more input - I've moved my comments there:

http://ukvapers.org/Thread-Battery-time-measured-in-ml

Regards,

Richard

10/01/13 09:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)