Important: Your continued use of this forum indicates acceptance of the forum rules. Please make sure you have read and understand these rules.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Action needed! Contact your Councillors, etc and Oppose the Directive now!
Ace Vapers Offline
Organic e-juice and ecigs
Vendors

Likes Given: 44
Sex: Male
Action needed! Contact your Councillors, etc and Oppose the Directive now!
As We all should have heard by now a directive has been written to propose an effective ban / limitations on the use of ecigs!

We cannot let this happen. Included is a link to the proposal which can be seen here.

http://ec.europa.eu/health/tobacco/docs/...788_en.pdf

All of our voices need to be heard on this matter so this does not happen!

Please use this folowing link to write to your Government, everyone who voices
their opinions can help shape the future of vaping, so please dont go unheard on this matter because it affects all of us.

http://www.writetothem.com/

08/01/13 12:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ace Vapers's post:
politicalconcerns (05/03/13)
Veyf Offline
Left Voluntarily

Likes Given: 415
Action needed! Contact your Councillors, MP,MEPs, MSPs and Oppose the Directive now!
(08/01/13 12:53 PM)Ace Vapers Wrote:  http://www.writetothem.com/

Have already wrote to them myself.

Please do the same everyone, our voices need to be heard.
08/01/13 01:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 1 user Likes Veyf's post:
icekizzy (08/05/13)
DaveK Offline
Global Moderator
Global Moderators

Likes Given: 803
Go see them instead!
At VTTV, we're advocating not simply writing to your MP / MEPs, but actually going to see them. They have to agree.

All MPs hold clinics, contact them, make an appointment and go along and tell them in your own words what these revisions to the TPD will mean for you as an individual if passed. Take your e-cig and show them what it's all about.

08/01/13 01:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 2 users Like DaveK's post:
Ace Vapers (08/01/13), McAldo (26/11/13)
Ace Vapers Offline
Organic e-juice and ecigs
Vendors

Likes Given: 44

RE: Go see them instead!
(08/01/13 01:58 PM)DaveK Wrote:  At VTTV, we're advocating not simply writing to your MP / MEPs, but actually going to see them. They have to agree.

All MPs hold clinics, contact them, make an appointment and go along and tell them in your own words what these revisions to the TPD will mean for you as an individual if passed. Take your e-cig and show them what it's all about.

After writing to mp's this is the response that was given.

"As you will have noticed from the date on the front page of the
Commission's proposal, this is a brand new prposal for EU legislation.
As such it next has to go through a committee of the European Parliament
for our First Reading and very probably amendment.
I would strongly recommend that whoever is responsible for speaking on
behalf of your interests - for example a trade association - gets over
to Brussels and talks in detail to members of the relevant committee and
answers their individual questions. Sending emails will not be enough.
In the European Parliament, every MEP is free to make up his or her mind
how to vote and we have no whips like at Westminster who force MPs how
to vote. So, your spokesman needs to talk with us, one to one."
individually.
All good wishes
Bill Newton Dunn, Lib Dem MEP
http://www.newton-dunn.com

Who is reposible for speaking on our behalf would this be the job of ECITA?

08/01/13 02:00 PM
DaveK Offline
Global Moderator
Global Moderators

Likes Given: 803
Contact your Councillors, MP,MEPs, MSPs and Oppose the Directive now!
As far as I'm concerned - I am!

I'm unsure as to where ECITA are with this, but as a consumer rather than a vendor I intend to tell my MEPs (who ultimately are the people who will cast votes on this) precisely what I think.

08/01/13 02:27 PM
BlackwaterVaper Offline

Likes Given: 534
Sex: Female
RE: Action needed! Contact your MP,MEPs, MSPs and Oppose the Directive now!
I had to cut a bit out of the subject to post! Too many characters.

I have contacted all of my MEPs and my MP.
The MEP who is elected for this area does not hold surgeries or meet people.

However I did receive the following reply from another SE MEP who seems to have completly ignored my questions and concerns.

So I would appeciate any information on research and a full list of all UK laws controlling ecigs. She says I needn't worry as I can get my ejuice when it has an MA.

This was the reply from her:-

Thank you for contacting me regarding the revision of the Tobacco Products Directive.

You are correct in thinking that as this Directive was adopted ten years ago, proposals to amend it have now been put forward with a view to being adopted by the European Parliament and the Council in 2014 and coming into effect between 2015 and 2016.

Whist the overall objective of the revision is to improve the functioning of the internal market, it is expected that citizens in all Member States will benefit from improved public health.

The revision addresses the following main issues:
• how to regulate products which do not contain tobacco, but which are closely linked to smoking or tobacco consumption, for example electronic- and herbal cigarettes,
• labelling and packaging of tobacco products
• additives, such as flavourings, used in tobacco products,
• internet sales of tobacco products and
• tracking and tracing of these products.

I understand that as a previous heavy smoker you are concerned by the idea that electronic cigarettes could be banned by this Directive. However, electronic cigarettes containing nicotine over a certain threshold will be allowed if they have been authorised as pharmaceuticals. It is only cigarettes, roll-your-own and smokeless tobacco products that have a characterising flavour, such as menthol cigarettes and smokeless tobacco with a liquorice taste that will be prohibited.

As electronic cigarettes are still a relatively new invention, I believe that much more research needs to be done before a final Directive can be agreed on. Evidence on the safety of e-cigarettes is limited and there is no evidence regarding the health effects of long term use. Although it is unlikely that long term use of e-cigarettes is as harmful as smoking, inconsistencies in product contents and labelling need to be addressed.

In addition, a study on the acute pulmonary effects of using an e-cigarette found that there are immediate adverse physiological effects after short term use that are similar to some of the effects seen with tobacco smoking. Further, the World Health Organisation (WHO) reported that there is concern that nicotine delivery to the lung might result in stronger toxicological, physiological and addictive effects.

However, I do believe that this evidence must be balanced against the numerous studies where smokers, including yourself, have been able to quit conventional cigarettes after taking up an e-cigarette.

I believe it is necessary for the out-of-date Tobacco Products Directive to be updated, but the manner in which this is done needs to take account of current scientific evidence to ensure that the health of the public in general is a main concern. More research needs to be done as to the health effects of e-cigarettes and the Directive adjusted accordingly.

I hope this information is helpful to you. I will continue to monitor the situation closely and remain up-to-date with any developments in this field. When I have the opportunity to vote on this matter in the European Parliament you have my assurance that I will do so. In the meantime if you feel there is any further way I can be of assistance, or if you have studies in this area that you would like to draw my attention to, then please do not hesitate to contact me again.
Yours sincerely,

Catherine Bearder

Office of Catherine Bearder MEP
27 Park End Street
Oxford
OX1 1HU
tel: +44 (0)1865 249838

08/01/13 03:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 1 user Likes BlackwaterVaper's post:
AZ AL (03/10/15)
Silversurfer Offline
One Life Surf It

Likes Given: 9,492
RE: Action needed! Contact your MP,MEPs, MSPs and Oppose the Directive now!
(08/01/13 03:05 PM)BlackwaterVaper Wrote:  I had to cut a bit out of the subject to post! Too many characters.

I have contacted all of my MEPs and my MP.
The MEP who is elected for this area does not hold surgeries or meet people.

However I did receive the following reply from another SE MEP who seems to have completly ignored my questions and concerns.

So I would appeciate any information on research and a full list of all UK laws controlling ecigs. She says I needn't worry as I can get my ejuice when it has an MA.

This was the reply from her:-

Thank you for contacting me regarding the revision of the Tobacco Products Directive.

You are correct in thinking that as this Directive was adopted ten years ago, proposals to amend it have now been put forward with a view to being adopted by the European Parliament and the Council in 2014 and coming into effect between 2015 and 2016.

Whist the overall objective of the revision is to improve the functioning of the internal market, it is expected that citizens in all Member States will benefit from improved public health.

The revision addresses the following main issues:
• how to regulate products which do not contain tobacco, but which are closely linked to smoking or tobacco consumption, for example electronic- and herbal cigarettes,
• labelling and packaging of tobacco products
• additives, such as flavourings, used in tobacco products,
• internet sales of tobacco products and
• tracking and tracing of these products.

I understand that as a previous heavy smoker you are concerned by the idea that electronic cigarettes could be banned by this Directive. However, electronic cigarettes containing nicotine over a certain threshold will be allowed if they have been authorised as pharmaceuticals. It is only cigarettes, roll-your-own and smokeless tobacco products that have a characterising flavour, such as menthol cigarettes and smokeless tobacco with a liquorice taste that will be prohibited.

As electronic cigarettes are still a relatively new invention, I believe that much more research needs to be done before a final Directive can be agreed on. Evidence on the safety of e-cigarettes is limited and there is no evidence regarding the health effects of long term use. Although it is unlikely that long term use of e-cigarettes is as harmful as smoking, inconsistencies in product contents and labelling need to be addressed.

In addition, a study on the acute pulmonary effects of using an e-cigarette found that there are immediate adverse physiological effects after short term use that are similar to some of the effects seen with tobacco smoking. Further, the World Health Organisation (WHO) reported that there is concern that nicotine delivery to the lung might result in stronger toxicological, physiological and addictive effects.

However, I do believe that this evidence must be balanced against the numerous studies where smokers, including yourself, have been able to quit conventional cigarettes after taking up an e-cigarette.

I believe it is necessary for the out-of-date Tobacco Products Directive to be updated, but the manner in which this is done needs to take account of current scientific evidence to ensure that the health of the public in general is a main concern. More research needs to be done as to the health effects of e-cigarettes and the Directive adjusted accordingly.

I hope this information is helpful to you. I will continue to monitor the situation closely and remain up-to-date with any developments in this field. When I have the opportunity to vote on this matter in the European Parliament you have my assurance that I will do so. In the meantime if you feel there is any further way I can be of assistance, or if you have studies in this area that you would like to draw my attention to, then please do not hesitate to contact me again.
Yours sincerely,

Catherine Bearder

Office of Catherine Bearder MEP
27 Park End Street
Oxford
OX1 1HU
tel: +44 (0)1865 249838

I have exactly the same reply!

이전 서퍼는 결코 그들은 단지 캔트 더 이상 일어 서서 죽을! Cool
08/01/13 03:29 PM
trog100 Offline
Vendors

Likes Given: 11
Sex: Undisclosed
oooo
Quote:I understand that as a previous heavy smoker you are concerned by the idea that electronic cigarettes could be banned by this Directive. However, electronic cigarettes containing nicotine over a certain threshold will be allowed if they have been authorised as pharmaceuticals.

(This post was last modified: 08/01/13 03:42 PM by trog100.)
08/01/13 03:41 PM
amitron Offline
Worthy of Laudation

Likes Given: 2,646
RE: Action needed!
Scary Lady:

The only reply I have had is from Paul Nuttals pa:

"Below is a recent newspaper article which gives Paul Nuttall's views on this subject.

UKIP have become the first political party, with representatives in the EU, so declare that they are firmly opposed to the electronic cigarette regulation proposed in the Tobacco Products Directive, and the TPD in general.
Paul Nuttall, the Deputy Leader of UKIP said :
''I find this particularly crazy as e-cigarettes are healthier alternatives to smoking. And, as I have previously said, the European Commission will not stop here, next it will be alcohol and foods,"

For more information on UKIP, please visit: http://www.ukip.org/

Nigel Brown
(P.A. to Paul Nuttall MEP)"

and this from Arlene Mc Carthy's assistant:

Thank you for your email to Arlene McCarthy MEP, regarding the European Tobacco Directive and electronic cigarettes.

"The North West Labour MEPs divide the region geographically. I see you have also written to Ms McCarthy’s colleague, Brian Simpson MEP and he is the member of the North West Labour Group of MEPs who has responsibility for your area.

I am sure he will be in touch with you soon on behalf of the North West Labour MEPs.

Thank you for contacting Arlene McCarthy MEP.

Yours sincerely

Rachael Tatlock"
08/01/13 04:20 PM
BlackwaterVaper Offline

Likes Given: 534
Sex: Female
RE: Action needed!
This was posted eleswhere, a reply from another MEP:-

As you will have noticed from the date on the front page of the
Commission's proposal, this is a brand new proposal for EU legislation.
As such it next has to go through a committee of the European Parliament
for our First Reading and very probably amendment. I would strongly
recommend that whoever is responsible for speaking on behalf of your
interests - for example a trade association - gets over to Brussels and
talks in detail to members of the relevant committee and answers their
individual questions. Sending emails will not be enough.
In the European Parliament, every MEP is free to make up his or her mind
how to vote and we have no whips like at Westminster who force MPs how
to vote. So, your spokesman needs to talk with us, one to one,
individually.

What is ECITA doing, if anything?

08/01/13 05:50 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)