Important: Your continued use of this forum indicates acceptance of the forum rules. Please make sure you have read and understand these rules.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Availability of Genuine Sony VTC Batteries
HeyJoe Offline

Likes Given: 198
Sex:
Availability of Genuine Sony VTC Batteries
i don't know if this is already general knowledge but I thought I'd put it up anyway if some didn't know, like myself. The recent advent of the VTC6 aroused my curiosity because I understood Sony ceased production in 2014.

Finding no conclusive material on the internet I decided to write to Fogstar.

"Hi

I am curious how Sony VTC batteries are still available when Sony ceased to manufacture them in 2014 and yet a 'new' version has come out in the VTC 6. This is Sony's response, in 2015, to Powerstream.com's enquiry:

Source: http://www.powerstream.com/sony-vtc-avai...letter.htm

"Thank you for your inquiry.

The 18650(VTC) type batteries are no longer manufactured by Sony.

This product was never intended for individual, public sale and are not eligible for warranty or engineering support. It was only available to OEM makers of specific devices.

The specifications and markings on the battery may vary depending upon the OEM’s requirements. Therefore, it is difficult to determine the true manufacturer or authenticity of the batteries without physical inspection and manufacturing code research.

This type of battery seems to be widely available on the internet market through non-authorized resellers. Therefore, Sony is not liable for the performance or use of this type battery for non-intended purposes. Such applications should be done at the user’s own risk. Furthermore, any battery of this type claimed to be Sony brand may be older stock. We apologize that we cannot offer further assistance with this matter. Sincerely, Sony

(site comment)
"Commentary:

It is very unfortunate that Sony would cancel the production of these cells, since they have been shown to be the highest performance high discharge cells ever made. However, they are a big company and have recently had an estimated $300 million dollar recall due to safety concerns. This may be why they decided to close this production line, since it is the most extreme battery they made." "

I have bought batteries (samsungs) from you a couple of times and think you are a reputable company that seems to have competent knowledge of the technology and industry, so I thought I'd ask you about it.

Are these batteries Sony's and are the ones you sell of the performance of a brand new Sony?

Cheers

Antony"

Fogstar's response:

"Good Afternoon Anthony,

You are correct in that Sony ceased production in 2014. However in 2016 they opened a cell factory in Malaysia and been producing cells from there. Sony cells are now readily available again.

Best Regards
Lauren. "
20/03/17 03:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 1 user Likes HeyJoe's post:
@rattspitt (20/03/17)
simpsons4 Offline
Idiot

Likes Given: 142
Sex: Undisclosed
RE: Availability of Genuine Sony VTC Batteries
I think you just answered your own questions.

Sounds like you don't believe vt6 are legit, like Sony don't make them?

Confusing post..!
21/03/17 01:36 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
HeyJoe Offline

Likes Given: 198
Sex:

(21/03/17 01:36 AM)simpsons4 Wrote:  I think you just answered your own questions.

Sounds like you don't believe vt6 are legit, like Sony don't make them?

Confusing post..!

I didn't know if they were legit and it has been queried here before as to where they are sourced. I now understand there is such a primary source. After 2014 and prior to some point 2016 they were either fake or old. I wrote this as a FYI for those that might be interested.
(This post was last modified: 21/03/17 02:10 AM by HeyJoe.)
21/03/17 02:09 AM
Toby | iVapour Offline
eGoer
Vendors

Likes Given: 1,768
Sex: Male
(21/03/17 02:09 AM)HeyJoe Wrote:  I didn't know if they were legit...

I'll write this as a FYI as well for those that might be interested...
.. but it's just a real pity that most of the 18650 batts (including all Sony batts that I have seen) on the market are not legit... (in the literal sense, in the UK)

Any battery put on the market in the UK has to comply with:
The Batteries and Accumulators (Placing on the Market) (Amendment) Regulations 2015

iVapour.co.uk - Janty UK Supplier; the original eGo.
iVapour-elixir.co.uk - Silver Bullet, mods, and spares.
The EU TPD is not a victimless crime...
21/03/17 02:20 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Toby | iVapour's post:
HeyJoe (21/03/17), Torchythebatteryboy (21/03/17)
Torchythebatteryboy Offline
Vendors

Likes Given: 495
Sex: Undisclosed
I did a post a while back on the differences between VTC5A bought from different suppliers: http://ukvapers.org/Thread-Sony-VTC5A?highlight=vtc5a
At the time I also noticed that the VTC5A Mooch tested had an indentation at the positive end which I haven't seen on any of the VTC5A that I have tested: https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/...y.746719/.
All of the batteries performed better than VTC5 and there wasn't a huge difference between them.
When I tested VTC5 from the same suppliers, there was a much bigger difference in quality and I suspected at leat one to be fake, but with the VTC5A I couldn't argue against any of them being genuine based on their performance.

Life would be so colourful if only I had a drink problem
21/03/17 08:28 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 2 users Like Torchythebatteryboy's post:
fridgemagnett (22/03/17), HeyJoe (21/03/17)
gummy Offline

Likes Given: 8
Sex:
As far as I understand and I've read the same statements; its been a ball of contention ever since Sony stopped making them in their own factory. Then production restarted at the Konion plant.
Supply was supposed to be limited to manufacturers for OE applications and not public resale, in light of this Sony issued a public disclaimer to deny any responsibility for the quality of cells purchased outside of an OE system.
So there are probably millions of VCTs available on the open market but not intended for use outside of an OE application ie for a brand of torch or a rechargeable hoover or an RC unit.
I'd say that a percentage of VTCs make their way to the open market and are sold as VTCs rather than OE replacement cells for xxxx product.

There will always be fakes and rewraps if there is a market and some unscrupulous persons can make an extra dollar or two out of them.
I suppose the best thing to do is buy from a reputable supplier, obviously doesn't help if fakes or sub quality cells are amongst the genuine units and they blow up in your face.
21/03/17 09:48 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like gummy's post:
fridgemagnett (22/03/17), HeyJoe (21/03/17)
fridgemagnett Offline

Likes Given: 1,215
Sex: Male
Find a reliable seller, seeing as you have to go on trust when buying batteries.
21/03/17 02:56 PM
Vapenut Offline

Likes Given: 8
Sex:
I still buy them from amazon, never had a problem with them, they seem genuine but who knows lol
21/03/17 03:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)