Important: Your continued use of this forum indicates acceptance of the forum rules. Please make sure you have read and understand these rules.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Battery and charger safety advice.
MDC Offline

Likes Given: 202
Sex: Male
RE: Battery and charger safety advice.
(29/12/14 11:22 AM)grim1 Wrote:  is a nick in the outer sleeve of the battery a safety issue?

Depends on how the device is built. If it's a mechanical mod where contact is between the battery bottom and a switch pin, then it could possibly lead to unwanted firing of the mod.

In mods where switching and / or regulation is between the battery positive and the tank pin, then no problem.
29/12/14 11:26 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
SirPrize Offline

Likes Given: 1
(29/12/14 11:10 AM)MDC Wrote:  
(29/12/14 11:06 AM)SirPrize Wrote:  I am looking at the manual of a device I have just bought and the instructions for battery charging are -

"Need charge at least 12 hours for the first three times. Enable the outmost capacity of the battery" (Their spelling not mine)

Should I do this?

Depends on the battery and charger. A Spinner 2 (1650mAh) on a standard EGO 420mA charger maybe, baby EGO (650mAh) on the same charger, no.

Thank you for your response.
All I can tell you is that the batteries are blue, have no makers name and are marked + ICR 18350 900mAh 3.7V -.
Fitted to a two pin single-battery charger attached to a UK three pin adaptor which came with the kit.
29/12/14 11:29 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
MDC Offline

Likes Given: 202
(29/12/14 11:25 AM)djsvapour Wrote:  
(29/12/14 11:06 AM)SirPrize Wrote:  I am looking at the manual of a device I have just bought and the instructions for battery charging are -

"Need charge at least 12 hours for the first three times. Enable the outmost capacity of the battery" (Their spelling not mine)

Should I do this?

Seems unlikely. Your charger will have a specified output.
420mAh
500mAh
1A
that sort of thing.

Your battery will have a mAh rating. 650mAh, 1300, 1600, 2000 and so on.

At 420mAh, a 2,000 will charge in anything from 4-6 hours depending on the efficiency of the charger.

12 hours would only be necessary for a massive battery OR an under-powered charger.

I suspect the comment "outmost capacity" tells us enough to suspect problems with translation.

Li-Ion batteries on charge may spend considerable time in trickle charge or top-up mode, so it's not just a mAh / charge current issue.

A flat Spinner 2 takes some 8 hours to charge, so 12 hours wouldn't hurt, especially as the charger shuts down when done.

The only issue I'd have with the instructions are that Li-Ion batteries are normally supplied part or fully charged. Even so, no harm should result, as the charger should charge for a short while in constant current mode, switch to trickle mode, then stop charge.

I'd personally stop when the charger says it's done, as there is no point in continuing, but I don't think there is a safety issue, provided the charger is the right one.

EDIT: Just seen the reply about battery type - This rules out the huge battery on a small charger scenario. 12 hours should not be needed - depending on the charger, 1-2 hours should do it, but again, longer shouldn't hurt. Stop when the charger lights say so, but don't worry about leaving longer. If you are ever concerned about the battery, touch it. In the early stage of charging it may get a little warm, then it cools in the trickle phase. If it ever gets hot, then stop the charge.
(This post was last modified: 29/12/14 11:41 AM by MDC.)
29/12/14 11:35 AM
Taajsgpm Offline

Likes Given: 0
Sex:
(22/10/13 09:18 PM)deckard Wrote:  BATTERY AND CHARGER SAFETY ADVICE.

Here are some do's and don'ts for safe use of batteries and chargers:
This applies to Ego type batteries and Mod type batteries i.e. 18650's

DO buy good quality batteries.
DO buy the correct battery for your device, ask or search the forum for help.
DO Buy a good quality charger.
DO Buy the correct charger for your batteries, again search the forum for help.
DO Buy and use a safe battery charge bag.
DO Buy enough batteries so you always have a spare ready charged, so you're not tempted to leave the charger on overnight.
DO Carry your batteries about safely in the correct storage box and switch off your Ego if it's in your pocket.
DO Store your batteries safely, plastic battery storage boxes are available quite cheaply.
DO Take the time to research battery safety and ohms law - running a low resistance device on a battery with an insufficient amperage limit can be dangerous.

DON'T Buy cheap unbranded batteries or chargers, they might be at best rubbish at worst unsafe!
DON'T Leave your charging batteries unattended and NEVER leave charging overnight.
DON'T Leave your batteries charging longer than you have to - once charged switch off charger and remove batteries.
DON'T Carry loose batteries in your pockets, they can short out!
DON'T Compromise on safety for the sake of a few extra pounds.
And finally.....
DON'T Panic! These are just a few recommendations that should make using your batteries safer.

Happy Vaping!
I let my battery charge over night, pretty much every night , is that really bad, it only takes 2-3 hours to charge???
03/01/15 04:26 PM
JoBo Offline
over-sensitive
Vendors

Likes Given: 9,159
Sex: Undisclosed
It's a very small risk, but the consequences (house fire) are potentially catastrophic, so it is best avoided if possible. Fireproof surroundings and in your bedroom so you can deal with it quickly, if you really can't avoid it. Enough batteries to make overnight charging unnecessary would be better.
03/01/15 04:31 PM
Vaping Bad Offline
ʇuıןɟuıʞs

Likes Given: 319
LiIon batteries don't have a memory effect so if you can't be around while they are charging unplug them until you get back.

If you only have a small time slot in the day to charge get more batteries and chargers so you can charge a few at a time, maybe faster chargers will help (though check your battery can handle the charge current). That's why I got 2 Xtar SP2s from torchy for thirty quid that's a lot of convenient safety and can charge 4 VTC4s in 70 mins, which could be 2 40 min charges over two days if needed.

04/01/15 12:43 AM
cordner Offline
Prospect

Likes Given: 14
Can anyone tell me how you know when a batt is fuly charged? I have nature vape eGo CTwist variable, what do the different ligjts mean?.

Its All about the Vape, Bout the Vape, No Bubbles...Its all about the Vape, Bout the Vape, No Bubbles.
Why Not Just Suck It and See DanceDance
08/01/15 06:39 PM
JoBo Offline
over-sensitive
Vendors

Likes Given: 9,159
Sex: Undisclosed
On the charger, the light will usually be red, occasionally flashing green, when charging and turn solid green when charged.

On the battery, the fire button will usually flash whilsle charging and stay on when fully charged.
08/01/15 10:49 PM
Marklees1988 Offline

Likes Given: 27
Would it be safe to change a iTaste MVP 2.0 overnight. I am using decent quality mini usb to charge it. And the MVP turns off when its fully charged.

Snow Wolf - Uwell Crown & XCube II - Twisted Messes RDA
10/01/15 05:34 PM
Vaping Bad Offline
ʇuıןɟuıʞs

Likes Given: 319
(10/01/15 05:34 PM)Marklees1988 Wrote:  Would it be safe to change a iTaste MVP 2.0 overnight. I am using decent quality mini usb to charge it. And the MVP turns off when its fully charged.

It is always safer not to, but if you can't I would get a lipo safe or lipo guard charging pouch. With good kit it is a very very small risk, but the consequences are severe.

10/01/15 06:11 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Vaping Bad's post:
JoBo (10/01/15), Marklees1988 (10/01/15)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)