Important: Your continued use of this forum indicates acceptance of the forum rules. Please make sure you have read and understand these rules.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Battery and charger safety advice.
Timmy Offline

Likes Given: 1
Sex:
RE: Battery and charger safety advice.
Are charging bags recommended for all types of batts? I use 18650's with an efest soda charger (bought from Torchy) so is it advisable to put the whole thing in a charging bag? If so would anyone like to suggest the best place to buy one at a good price without fear of it being a dangerous fake? Thanks.
07/04/15 01:56 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
djsvapour Offline

Likes Given: 423
Sex:
I only ever used a charging bag for dodgy eGo batteries.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about a good charger and IMRs.
07/04/15 02:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
JoBo Offline
over-sensitive
Vendors

Likes Given: 9,159
Sex: Undisclosed
It's a sensible precaution with any battery. IMRs are less likely to go off spectacularly, but they can and if they're damaged charging is the most dangerous time for them.

Any reputable vape shop should sell decent ones. Just make sure it's a large one.
07/04/15 02:13 PM
MDC Offline

Likes Given: 191
Sex: Male
I only ever charge while I'm around and awake, so I make sure I have enough batteries for a week, and charge at weekends, or in the evening if I'm at home. If I am not sure about a battery for any reason, I also keep an eye (or finger) on the temperature. Mods I'm not using are stored in a tin box on the kitchen worktop.

May be over the top, but as JoBo said, bad consequences are worth minimising as far as practical.
07/04/15 07:45 PM
tsport Offline

Likes Given: 26
I would add one more:
Don't use them straight off the charger - give them an hour or two.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes
25/04/15 05:33 AM
taffyjock Offline

Likes Given: 3,131
Replace any frayed or damaged cables, plugs etc, applies to any electrical equipment really.

25/04/15 06:34 AM
ElCapitan Offline

Likes Given: 0
Sex:
I know a lot of this has been mentioned before but I just wanted to add my two pence to this discussion.

I recently switched from a Nitecore i4 to an Efest Luc V4. The difference is amazing, my batteries are lasting longer and it's seemingly revived some batteries that were just running out really fast no matter what setup I had them on. Charging at 0.5A makes a huge difference to battery life so use that setting whenever possible as it puts less stress on the batteries. I'd highly recommend making the switch not only for this reason but for safety too. I had a couple of occasions with my D4 where batteries went red hot charging on there and I had to dispose of them, they might have been fine but for me it's all about safety. I've not had that happen once using the Luc V4. It really is a great charger and affordable too.

One other thing I would add is if you're out and about carrying batteries make sure they are seperately stored and in a soft container. Certain brands seem to "knick" quite easily which as mentioned above can be really dangerous especially in mech mods. Don't carry them in your pocket with change or other metal objects either, this might seem pretty obvious to most people but when I was starting out a couple of years ago I didn't know this and was told they can "ark".

If you're using two batteries in a box mod you should marry them up for life. Charge them together, use them together and age them together, plus batteries love getting married. Fact. Smiling

EDIT: CHANGE FROM D4 to i4.

I'm a professional brand designer and have worked within the vape industry. If you need labels, logos, websites designing then get in touch.

(This post was last modified: 15/08/15 02:47 PM by ElCapitan.)
15/08/15 01:54 PM
Meeesterjoe Offline

Sex:
(21/10/14 07:57 AM)lyriquidperfection Wrote:  The Nitecore D4 Charger is very good in my opinion and is the the only charger I would trust to leave on overnight unattended.

I also have a D4 charger and would happily leave it overnight to charge my 18650's.
The safety functions built into the thing are reassuring.
Also if using all 4 bays it drops the charge current to all 4 so is more gentle.
Just make sure your batteries are from a reputable vendor and charge when they reach around 40%.
15/08/15 01:59 PM
ElCapitan Offline

Likes Given: 0
Sex:
(15/08/15 01:59 PM)Meeesterjoe Wrote:  
(21/10/14 07:57 AM)lyriquidperfection Wrote:  The Nitecore D4 Charger is very good in my opinion and is the the only charger I would trust to leave on overnight unattended.

I also have a D4 charger and would happily leave it overnight to charge my 18650's.
The safety functions built into the thing are reassuring.
Also if using all 4 bays it drops the charge current to all 4 so is more gentle.
Just make sure your batteries are from a reputable vendor and charge when they reach around 40%.

I'd recommend anyone with a D4 check that you've got a genuine one as there was a bit of a scare around replicas floating around causing fires.

There's an easy way to check as they made a huge typo on the box! İmage

http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/safety/rap..._year=2015

I'm a professional brand designer and have worked within the vape industry. If you need labels, logos, websites designing then get in touch.

15/08/15 02:39 PM
Champagne Supervaper Offline

Sex:
Hi everyone,

Been vaping for a couple of years now but still feel like a total newbie. I just stuck to the same basic kit that got me off fags and never really bothered with anything beyond that. Flicking through these threads you could be talking a different language.

Anyway, I've come on here because my girlfriend has been making me paranoid about exploding e-cigs. I have been using an Evod with one of the variable voltage batteries. Beyond that, I don't know anything about the spec, and I honestly don't understand most of the words, phrases and numbers people on here used to describe different ones. I just want something nice and simple that will give me what I need to keep me smoke free.

What is the chance of this thing blowing my face off? The batteries I am currently using are probably over a year old now, does that mean they need replacing?

From what I have read on here, it is apparently unsafe to keep loose batteries in your pocket? I have often done this without realizing. Can someone explain why this is so dangerous?

What is wrong with leaving batteries charging over night? We leave other things to charge over night and I don't have time to sitting around supervising the charging process.

If it about to explode, will there be any signs or warnings in advance?

Everyone says buy from a decent supplier and use the right charger etc., but for those who don't spend lots of time researching these sort of things... how do I know what a reputable supplier looks like? Where would you recommend I purchase batteries and chargers from?

Finally, if there is anything else I am missing or any other advice about battery safety please chip in. Apologies if I am come across as a complete idiot (I am actually supposed to be intelligent, apparently) but I really don't understand most of what people write on here. Like I say, I just want to stay off the fags with as little hassle and expense as possible.

Thanks in advance.
25/02/16 10:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)