Important: Your continued use of this forum indicates acceptance of the forum rules. Please make sure you have read and understand these rules.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Battery and charger safety advice.
MDC Offline

Likes Given: 215
Sex: Male
RE: Battery and charger safety advice.
(25/02/16 10:44 PM)Champagne Supervaper Wrote:  Hi everyone,

Been vaping for a couple of years now but still feel like a total newbie. I just stuck to the same basic kit that got me off fags and never really bothered with anything beyond that. Flicking through these threads you could be talking a different language.

Anyway, I've come on here because my girlfriend has been making me paranoid about exploding e-cigs. I have been using an Evod with one of the variable voltage batteries. Beyond that, I don't know anything about the spec, and I honestly don't understand most of the words, phrases and numbers people on here used to describe different ones. I just want something nice and simple that will give me what I need to keep me smoke free.

What is the chance of this thing blowing my face off? The batteries I am currently using are probably over a year old now, does that mean they need replacing?

From what I have read on here, it is apparently unsafe to keep loose batteries in your pocket? I have often done this without realizing. Can someone explain why this is so dangerous?

What is wrong with leaving batteries charging over night? We leave other things to charge over night and I don't have time to sitting around supervising the charging process.

If it about to explode, will there be any signs or warnings in advance?

Everyone says buy from a decent supplier and use the right charger etc., but for those who don't spend lots of time researching these sort of things... how do I know what a reputable supplier looks like? Where would you recommend I purchase batteries and chargers from?

Finally, if there is anything else I am missing or any other advice about battery safety please chip in. Apologies if I am come across as a complete idiot (I am actually supposed to be intelligent, apparently) but I really don't understand most of what people write on here. Like I say, I just want to stay off the fags with as little hassle and expense as possible.

Thanks in advance.
When people are talking about batteries in pocket, they are referring to bare batteries, not mods or batteries in cases with electronics. Slight possibility of a short if the pocket is loaded with change or keys. Good batteries should be safe, only vent even when shorted, but not all batteries are good.

Buy batteries / Chargers from Torchy (vendor on this forum) or from a respected supplier like MyEpack. IMR and INR batteries are safer chemistry that ICR.

Overnight charging should be safe with a good charger that cuts off when done, but Lithium Ion don't like overcharging. I charge mine in the evening or at weekends, just to be ultra-safe.

Similar issues do exist for laptop and mobile batteries - I don't leave them unattended while charging either.

If you are paranoid about charging batteries, you can always touch them periodically - they should get warm during the first part of the charge then cool during the latter part. Stop if they feel hot.
26/02/16 12:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
Stevethesax Offline
Out, damn'd spot

Likes Given: 331
(25/02/16 10:44 PM)Champagne Supervaper Wrote:  Hi everyone,
Been vaping for a couple of years now but still feel like a total newbie. I just stuck to the same basic kit that got me off fags and never really bothered with anything beyond that. Flicking through these threads you could be talking a different language.

That ain't no crime - I've been vaping over four years, and I'm still using basic kit that's not much different to yours. Sure, I've got more...I've built more...but the basic kit is still my goto setup.
If it works for you, it works for you - and bugger what anyone else uses.

Quote:Anyway, I've come on here because my girlfriend has been making me paranoid about exploding e-cigs. I have been using an Evod with one of the variable voltage batteries. Beyond that, I don't know anything about the spec, and I honestly don't understand most of the words, phrases and numbers people on here used to describe different ones. I just want something nice and simple that will give me what I need to keep me smoke free.

The batteries used in ecigs are very powerful compared to the ones we bung in our remote controls etc. They contain far more energy and, more importantly, can deliver it a great deal faster. Think of a standard AA battery as a can of coke that you've shaken up for a laugh. You hand it to a mate, he pulls the ring...and blam...coke everywhere. Great fun.
Now imagine the same thing with a can that's 10 times the size. This is your ecig battery. When your mate pulls the ring on that puppy you're going to want to be standing a fair distance away, right?
Now imagine that extra large can is made out of tin foil. You're not even gonna want to shake it.
So, ecig batteries have lots of energy and they don't much like being kicked around, poked, crushed, bent and otherwise messed with. But if you treat them with reasonable care, they'll be just fine. After all, you've got much the same type of batteries in your phone - and I bet you don't worry about them.

Quote:What is the chance of this thing blowing my face off? The batteries I am currently using are probably over a year old now, does that mean they need replacing?

Very slim.
Nearly all the explosion stories can be traced back to one of two things; careless use of the batteries and incorrect charging.
Putting a bare ecig battery in a pocket is risky. Putting two in is more than doubly risky. Putting them in a pocket with some loose change is like walking into a Geordie pub and shouting "You northern puffs couldn't punch yer way out of a wet paper bag".
If you treat bare batteries with respect, keep them in protective boxes when not in use and charge them properly, you'll be as fine as everyone else on here.
As for your particular battery - it's an enclosed cell. That's to say that it's a metal tube with a battery fitted inside it. In effect, the battery's in its own little case already - so it's pretty safe. It's still not a wonderful idea to put it in a pocket full of change, and you still really wouldn't want to bash it with a hammer...but other than that they tend to be pretty robust.
If you've had it a year then it probably needs replacing. Not because it doesn't work any more, but more because batteries tend to fade over time. It can't hold as much power as a new one, or for as long. In other words it's a bit tired. Not quite knackered, just a bit wheezy.
If you're a tightarse (like me) you'll probably get another 6 months use out of it.

Quote:From what I have read on here, it is apparently unsafe to keep loose batteries in your pocket? I have often done this without realizing. Can someone explain why this is so dangerous?

As above.
Say you buy a little torch that takes an AA battery. You have the torch, and you have the battery. You can put the torch in your pocket with no problems...and while such a piddly little battery would probably be OK, you probably still wouldn't just drop it in your pocket...just in case. But, if you put the battery in the torch, then put the torch in your pocket...that's no problem at all, provided it can't turn itself on (which is why most ecigs have on/off switches or mechanical devices that prevent them from working).
Same thing with an ecig. The ecig is the torch, the battery goes inside. In your case the battery is permanently fitted inside the ecig.

Quote:What is wrong with leaving batteries charging over night? We leave other things to charge over night and I don't have time to sitting around supervising the charging process.

Charging ecig batteries is always risky - but then so is charging phone batteries...and laptop batteries...and satnav batteries...and drone batteries...and...well, you get the score.
The li-ion (lithium ion) batteries that power these things are very powerful...and with anything that powerful there's bound to be a bit of mess if anything goes wrong.
But you're right - we charge these things up all the time without really thinking about it, and we use them in much the same fashion (imagine all those satnavs sitting on dashboards in the heat of mid summer!). And from time to time something goes wrong and they blow...it's just that it seldom makes the news, because a phone bursting into flames isn't terribly newsworthy.
Me, I don't leave anything charging overnight...not even squitty little AA batteries.
What I do is buy more batteries....so that when the ones I'm using run out, I can swap them out for a fresh set, and charge the dead ones at a time when I know I'm going to be around to keep an eye on them.
Or you can get yourself a stout metal tin and charge them in that. If anything blows it'll make a bit of a racket and stink the place up a bit...but that should be all. You can even buy a special bag for charging batteries in.

Quote:If it about to explode, will there be any signs or warnings in advance?

Aside from your mate saying "Can you smell burning?"...not a lot.
When they go, they really go. If you're lucky you might notice things getting real hot real fast....but otherwise there's bang, a flash and it's all over bar the screams.
There are pre-pre warning signs though...such as scuffs and scratches on the casing of a bare battery, bashes and dents in the case (including dents in the case of the device), unusual symptoms when charging (getting too hot, taking too long to fully charge etc.) and a noticeable drop-off in performance. These last symptoms indicate that the battery is under stress, and that it's best replaced.

Quote:Everyone says buy from a decent supplier and use the right charger etc., but for those who don't spend lots of time researching these sort of things... how do I know what a reputable supplier looks like? Where would you recommend I purchase batteries and chargers from?

Well, there are batteries...and there are batteries.
You've got one of those variable voltage jobbies...usually looks like a long black or silver stick? That's what we call an Ego style battery - but as you saw earlier, it's really battery that's fixed inside a tube.
You can pick these up anywhere...but if you buy from a reputable retailer you'll be sure of getting the genuine item (there are plenty of copies, fakes and knock-offs out there...some are OK, some are piss poor). To find a reputable seller, look in the vendor section of this site - I doubt you'll find any sharks there.

The same retailer can also sell you a suitable charger - though as your battery has lasted a year without going tits up, it's a fair bet that you've already got a decent charger. It'll be a little square thing on the end of a usb cable. We call that an Ego charger.
Unfortunately there are a few things that look like Ego chargers that aren't...because the voltage they put out is wrong. In most case the voltage those things should chuck out is 4.2v - but some chuck out 5v. Have a look at the label on your charger and see what it says.

Bare batteries (or what we call mod batteries) are a bit different. These look like your typical AA batteries, only they're often much larger. You need a special charger for these.
There are any number of threads here about such batteries and chargers - as well as a special thread all about battery and charger safety. If these are the sort of batteries you're using, or are looking to buy, you need to read these threads.
I've kept things really simple here...but using these bigger batteries requires just a little bit more reading.
26/02/16 12:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
Leahkim_Damha Offline

Likes Given: 5
Evening guys,

Can i just say thanks to Steve for the above post as it gives a good insight into battery care for new users like myself.

I do, however, have a quick question regarding the technical specs of a pair of batteries I picked up today for my Smok Alien.

So the batteries I went out and purchased are: EFEST IMR 18650's. The specifications on the side of both batteries state; 3000 mAh, 35A, 3.7V.

Max Contininuous Discharge: 20A
Max Pulse Discharge: 35A

The pre-installed coil with the Baby Beast tank I am going to be using states an initial resistance of 0.4 ohms and a wattage range of 40 to 80 watts.

Will the batteries that I have purchased be able to operate safely within these limits? I don't completely understand what Max Con. and Max Pulse Discharge rates mean. But I just saw that it stated 35 Amps on the side, and wondered whether that is its maximum output?

Sorry if this all sounds really "noob-ish". I tried reading a few reports on battery characteristics, but couldn't relate it to my new mod or vaping. Blushsmiley
08/11/16 05:45 PM
MDC Offline

Likes Given: 215
(08/11/16 05:45 PM)Leahkim_Damha Wrote:  Evening guys,

Can i just say thanks to Steve for the above post as it gives a good insight into battery care for new users like myself.

I do, however, have a quick question regarding the technical specs of a pair of batteries I picked up today for my Smok Alien.

So the batteries I went out and purchased are: EFEST IMR 18650's. The specifications on the side of both batteries state; 3000 mAh, 35A, 3.7V.

Max Contininuous Discharge: 20A
Max Pulse Discharge: 35A

The pre-installed coil with the Baby Beast tank I am going to be using states an initial resistance of 0.4 ohms and a wattage range of 40 to 80 watts.

Will the batteries that I have purchased be able to operate safely within these limits? I don't completely understand what Max Con. and Max Pulse Discharge rates mean. But I just saw that it stated 35 Amps on the side, and wondered whether that is its maximum output?

Sorry if this all sounds really "noob-ish". I tried reading a few reports on battery characteristics, but couldn't relate it to my new mod or vaping. Blushsmiley

It's a dual battery mod, so should be OK. At 80w and batteries near flat, about 13A per battery. Always use and charge the batteries together, as they should be kept matched, or "married". Don't run it much past 100w though.
(This post was last modified: 08/11/16 06:44 PM by MDC.)
08/11/16 06:38 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes MDC's post:
Leahkim_Damha (08/11/16)
Leahkim_Damha Offline

Likes Given: 5
(08/11/16 06:38 PM)MDC Wrote:  It's a dual battery mod, so should be OK. At 80w and batteries near flat, about 13A per battery. Always use and charge the batteries together, as they should be kept matched, or "married". Don't run it much past 100w though.

Awesome!

Thanks very much for the input MDC. Smiling
08/11/16 06:54 PM
Stevethesax Offline
Out, damn'd spot

Likes Given: 331
(26/02/16 12:09 AM)Stevethesax Wrote:  ...it's just that it seldom makes the news, because a phone bursting into flames isn't terribly newsworthy.

Told ya so (coughSamsungcough).
09/11/16 07:04 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)