Important: Your continued use of this forum indicates acceptance of the forum rules. Please make sure you have read and understand these rules.

Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Buying Pure Nicotine
ghoti Offline
Twizzled vaper
Mod Makers and Sellers

Likes Given: 994
Sex: Male
RE: Buying Pure Nicotine
(06/11/12 07:01 PM)A-Lites Wrote:  Yeah that was what I was getting at sorry for the confusion. I meant don't ban them report the illegal ones. However it prob could make TS anti-ecig which is what no one wants.

Apologies then - I just read it that you suggested reporting vendors selling 54mg nic.... my bad!

With regards pure nic or over 75mg:-
if reported correctly it might be an idea to report them, after all, all the media/government/big pharma needs is one death from vaping related accident to start a ban wholescale.
We need to show that vaping is safe, and the vendors are responsible.

Any vendor who sells pure nic without asking for a poisons license is acting irresponsibly and putting the public at risk, as Im sure not every vaper takes the care I do when mixing my juice - although I like to think that most do take the proper precautions.

I agree with management in not naming any vendors selling pure nic on here, as some people can be a little quick to try mixing without reading all about the precautions needed. Pure nic is one of the nastiest substances I have ever read about, and really never want to encounter it myself - Im quite happy at 75mg max... although for maths 100mg would be easier - but its not legal here, so not worth thinking about. (And there are plenty of calculators around to compensate)

I vape like I used to smoke - I prefer to roll my own Big Grin
Co-creator of Vape Punk mod
Claim to fame: I survived the Decadent Vapours Mask o' Menthol Loco on the 2/2/13 Smiling
06/11/12 07:15 PM
Find all posts by this user Return to top
AguaVape Offline
Vendors

Likes Given: 20
Agreed, they might think they'll get a super hit, shame it'll be like being hit by a bus!

06/11/12 07:24 PM
LFGirl Offline

Likes Given: 25
Sex: Undisclosed
Don't forget the stupidity of people too. Those who mix without taking care, or don't pay attention - especially when 10 pairs of latex gloves cost £1.

Quote: d8 -LFgirl is like a vaping dominatrix

http://littlemissvape.wordpress.com/
08/11/12 02:17 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Return to top
nosscar Offline

Likes Given: 3
so just mixed my first 20ml bottle of e juice, i have used some free sample stuff i got wich was 7ml of pg based 12mg, i mixed this with 11ml of 50/50 pg/vg 26mg which took total strengh to just over 20mg, then put in 2ml of apple flavouring which should take it down to around 18mg strengh which is my usual. by using the sample bottles of pg based 12ml i calculated this should give me a 69.44 pg and 30.56 vg so approx 70/30 mix. So i hope i worked it out ok and i am hoping someone will tell me if i am doing it wrong. One thing i am not sure of. I am using the ejuice me up calculator, but when 2ml of flavouring is added to a 20ml mix it does not seem to take anything of the nicotine strengh, surely it should weaken it slightly, this is why i mixed to just over 20mg strengh assuming 2ml of flavour would give me around 18mg,was i right to do this.

Vaping is better than sex (you have not seen my wife)
(This post was last modified: 08/11/12 03:05 PM by nosscar.)
08/11/12 03:00 PM
PapaLazarou Offline

Likes Given: 674
(08/11/12 03:00 PM)nosscar Wrote:  One thing i am not sure of. I am using the ejuice me up calculator, but when 2ml of flavouring is added to a 20ml mix it does not seem to take anything of the nicotine strengh, surely it should weaken it slightly, this is why i mixed to just over 20mg strengh assuming 2ml of flavour would give me around 18mg,was i right to do this.

Not sure if I'm reading what you are saying right, but ejuice me up uses the "Nicotine Strength e-juice" and "Target Nicotine Strength" fields to determine the other calculations. The first one is where you put the strength of your nicotine base (e.g. 50mg/ml), and the second one is where you put the final strength you are aiming for (e.g. 18mg/ml). Adding more flavouring won't change the "target nicotine strength" - it will reduce the amount of diluent (pg or vg) you need to add. If you are trying to do something which is not possible, like if the flavourings combined with the nicotine base make the final mix weaker than the target strength, then it comes up with an error.

For quick calculations the nicotine combine feature can be useful. Using the figures quoted in your post gets these results.

09/11/12 02:04 PM
nosscar Offline

Likes Given: 3
yes thats what i did, i calculated the 12mg and the 26mg to get the overal strength, then put required nicotine strengh as zero as i already had it, then ticked the flavouring box for zero pg/vg which then required i add 2ml, so from the picture you showed i need to add the 2ml flavour in the x3 box first with my 2 strengths of base mix, to get the strength included and not just use the 2 bases for strength in the x3 box and then tick for flavour in the program.

Vaping is better than sex (you have not seen my wife)
09/11/12 02:43 PM
bigshoe Offline

Likes Given: 5
Or if you wanted to work it out yourself x the mg by the ml for both the bases you were using add the two values together, that will give you the total mg of nicotine you are working with. Then divide this number by the total volume of fluid you intend to make ( nicotine bases+dilutents+flavorings) this will give you your total mg per ml value.

Mods- lavatube, howitzer, vamox2
Atties- spheroid v2 , aga t, aga t2, kayfun v2.1 mini
08/12/12 10:17 AM
grizewald Offline
Left Voluntarily

Likes Given: 257
Latex gloves will not protect you from pure nicotine. It penetrates latex quite effectively. Nitrile gloves will give protection for a while, significantly longer than latex.

The largest problem you face using pure nicotine is an overdose from inhalation, unless if course you have access to a chemistry lab and a fume cupboard to mitigate that risk.

You are playing with fire Plumbpipe and the risks with this kind of fire are not burns, they are death.
04/01/13 12:07 PM
[-] The following 4 users Like grizewald's post:
FlavourArtUK (06/01/13), ghoti (04/01/13), kenny (04/01/13), MarlowMan (04/01/13)
xig Offline

Likes Given: 10
I did some research out of curiosity for working with pure and high concentrate nicotine - might be useful for some? It certainly highlights why you shouldn't work with the stuff without research and training first Smiling Numbers in square brackets refer to links at the bottom. I have no experience with any of this stuff but I tried to use reliable sources.

Nicotine is listed as a Part II poison [1] under the Poisons Act 1972 [2] and can only be sold by traders registered with their local authority. The customer must state his/her name, address, purpose for purchase and sign an order book on the trader's premises [1]. You don't need to be registered to buy the stuff, but you do need to adhere to HSE COSHH (Health & Safety Executive Control of Substances Hazardous to Health) guidelines if you are a business (or generally sane).

Nicotine is combustible, explosive, irritating, toxic and deadly [3]. It can also react explosively with other chemicals and compounds. It has "risk phrase" R numbers R25 (toxic if swallowed), R26 (very toxic by inhilation) and R27 (very toxic in contact with skin) [4]. On a hazard scale of A-D nicotine is classed 'D' - the most dangerous. HSE COSHH recommendations are; Don't bother. "Before carrying on you may want to consider using a less harmful chemical. Please speak to your supplier to see if there is another chemical you can use which will do the job satisfactorily."

HSE's recommended COSHH guidelines for nicotine are general poisons advice [7] and protective equipment [8] with specifics on containment [5] and mixing [6]. Use protective clothing at all times [9] with full face mask, coveralls, protective footware, and chemical-resistant inner/outer gloves. Nicotine can chew through some plastics and rubbers as grizewald said above. When mixing use a self-contained mixer, or a fume cupboard with filters/extraction. Store it in a cupboard on its own, or on a bottom shelf on its own. Label it clearly. Keep safety gear handy - sand for spillages, correct fire extinguishers, water mist spray, etc.

Does exposure really kill? Sure! "The fatal human dose has been estimated to be about 50 to 60 mg. Note: An oral dose of 50 to 60 mg/kg is equivalent to a 70-kg worker being exposed to about 30 to 40 mg/m3 for 30 minutes, assuming a breathing rate of 50 liters per minute and 100% absorption." [10]

A nerve-wracking list of effects, first aid and containment advice is on the emergency response card for nicotine [9]. Exposure could lead to death within the hour!

I don't mean to pretend I'm an expert, I just enjoyed doing a bit of research.

[1] Part II poision - http://www.hants.gov.uk/rh/ts/poisons.pdf
[2] Poisons Act - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1972/66
[3] Safety Data Sheet - http://www.erowid.org/chemicals/nicotine...eet1.shtml
[4] COSHH Essentials - http://www.hse.gov.uk/coshh/essentials/index.htm
[5] COSHH G300: Containment - http://www.coshh-essentials.org.uk/assets/live/G300.pdf
[6] COSHH G318: Mixing - http://www.coshh-essentials.org.uk/assets/live/G318.pdf
[7] COSHH S100: General Advice - http://www.coshh-essentials.org.uk/assets/live/S100.pdf
[8] COSHH S101: Protective Equipment - http://www.coshh-essentials.org.uk/assets/live/S101.pdf
[9] Effects, first aid, containment - http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/ershdb/Emergenc...50028.html
[10] CDC nicotine concentrations - http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/idlh/54115.html
06/01/13 03:31 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like xig's post:
FlavourArtUK (06/01/13), grizewald (06/01/13), JustPoo (06/01/13)
Boadacia! Offline
Arachnids R us!

Likes Given: 2,482
Sex: Female
Anyone have the feeling there's a misconception here about 10% Nic' and this so-called pure nicotine? 10% being only 100mg. If it were 100% or even 99% we would probably be communicating with the spirits on a Ouija board. Undecided
06/01/13 03:58 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Return to top
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)