Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cotton Nano-coil build for the Dream RBA (photo guide)
zigackly Offline
You're ferpectly right

Likes Given: 1,514
Sex: Male
Something very similar to this would probably also work for the Kayfun, but I will leave that to someone who owns one.

This gives me an astounding vape from a £20 ish atomizer, and is easier to do than I ever thought it would be. I've used bits and pieces of things I've learned both on here and on youtube and I'm not going to acknowledge them all, but it's definitely not something I've invented all by myself so I take no credit for it.

I thought I'd put this together after a few people liked my photo guide to rebuilding the Evod. I find these easier to work along with than a video where you have to pause and rewind so you don't miss anything.

Step 1. Preparation

You will need:

A Dream RBA.
An 18 gauge syringe needle.
Some kanthal wire and cotton.
A pair of nail clippers.
Some pliers.
A lighter or blowtorch.
Something to measure your resistance.

I also used a cocktail stick for tweaking, but forgot to include it in the picture.

Step 2. Coiling

I was aiming for a 2 ohm coil for use on my Provari here, so I have done eight wraps of 0.2 mm kanthal, which was spot on for my first build. I flamed the kanthal with my lighter twice until it glowed before wrapping the coil.

Notice that I have not wrapped the coil tightly at this stage, we will do that part next.

Step 3. Initial Tightening

I use my fingers first to squeeze the coil as tight as I can on the needle, making sure there are no overlapping coils.

Step 4. Oxidising and Re-tightening

I now take the coil off the needle and tighten it gently with the pliers, then flame it, then re-tighten it with the pliers a few times.

It doesn't seem to matter whether the coils end up touching or not, but they should be as close as dammit when you have completed this step.

Step 5. Trimming

Re-insert the needle into the coil and trim the wires. It helps at this stage if you do not trim them right down as far as you need to, as you may have to adjust them again to pin them into the atomizer head at the correct height.

Step 6. Pinning

The next stage is to pin the coil in place on the Dream. You can take your time with this one, carefully trimming the wires until you have it sitting around one millimetre over the top of the air channel, then insert the pins and give it a little twist with the needle to about 45 degrees.

Step 7. Adjustment

I now remove the needle and make any adjustments necessary to the legs and the coils with the cocktail stick and pliers. Don't be afraid to move things around and re-tighten the coil afterwards, everything is pinned in place and quite stable.

This is a pic before the adjustment, you can see the result in the next step.

Step 8. Creating the Wick

Now wash your hands thoroughly to remove any oils from your fingers, then gently tease out some cotton for your wick.

Less really is more with this build. Don't be afraid it won't wick effectively, you really need very little. I tend to look for a piece about three times the width of the base. How thick you take it is something you may have to practice a bit.

Don't worry if you get it wrong the first time, cotton is cheap!

Step 9. Rolling the Wick

You need to do this very gently, and pinch out any lumps from the cotton so it is even all the way down. Only the last half centimetre should be rolled tightly to a point, as these coils are tiny so you need it to be small enough to thread through.

Step 10. Threading the Wick

Poke the sharp end carefully through the coil and catch it as it comes out the other side. Now put one finger on top of the coil, and very slowly tease it through until you are halfway down the wick.

If the cotton starts to mass up on the other side at any point and catch, stop pulling and roll it tighter on the other side, or if you have a lump, back off a bit and remove some cotton with your nail clippers.

Once you have the cotton through, you need to unroll it and tease it out again until it's fluffy. The cocktail stick comes in handy again at this stage.

Step 11. Wrapping the Wick

This is the method I use, and it may be a slight overkill, but it's based on how I learned to wick the Dream with silica and it definitely works.

You want to wrap it clockwise like this on both sides of the atomizer head, so the wick is straight in the coil, but leaving a diagonal over the juice channels.

If you have got the right size wick, you will now have some excess. Well done!

Step 12. Trimming the wick

Trim the ends of the wick with the nail clippers so that you can wrap it just touching the other side of the wick, but leaving a small V above the channels.

Step 13. Check Your Resistance

This step is only unlucky if you got it wrong like I did on this build.

Juice up the wick on the top of the atomizer head only, and see where you are. I was very slightly over this time, and I think it's because one of my legs is a tiny bit longer than it should be, but it's close enough, so no harm done.

You now need to very carefully fit the chimney back on without disturbing your setup. I find it helps to turn the chimney clockwise as you ease it over the cotton, and be careful not to trap any in the threads.

Once the chimney is on, I re-assemble the dream and have a quick toke to make sure it tastes ok, then I know I am good to fill it up and enjoy it.

I learned to do this today, and once I had finished I was blown away by the quality of the vape, so much so that when I picked up another Dream with my normal cotton build it was so rubbish and flavourless that I had to empty it immediately and rebuild it, so I thought I'd record it with photos at the same time to create this guide.

Hope you enjoy it as much as me. Mrs Zig has already made off with the first one I did and won't give it back.

At least I managed to persuade her to put it on her Twist instead of my Provari before she went off to watch the telly!

Provari Mini & Kayfun, Paps with Diver & Scuba, Atomic RDA, cheap mechs & BT804s
(This post was last modified: 31/01/14 08:57 AM by zigackly. )
29/09/13 12:04 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 14 users Like zigackly's post:
amitron (29/09/13), BigGingerWally (29/09/13), Bwca (29/09/13), Dannymtosh (30/09/13), Izan (29/09/13), JustPoo (29/09/13), Paul (29/09/13), pauly meatballs (29/09/13), Pengwin (28/10/13), PNE-Karl (03/11/13), Reptile (29/09/13), TDM (29/09/13), twiglet (29/09/13), Wonko (29/09/13)
thejewk Offline
Drippy
Mod Makers and Sellers

Likes Given: 255
RE: Cotton Nano-coil build for the Dream RBA (photo guide)
Cracking guide zig.

29/09/13 08:14 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
Ash2Ashes Offline
"Floss is Boss!"

Likes Given: 746
good job zig. perfect explaination. well done sir.

"How much can you know about yourself if you've never been in a fight?"
29/09/13 08:19 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
Darvaper Offline

Likes Given: 1
When tempering the coil with a lighter I find it ends up sooty.
Any body else find this.
Have to get a small blow torch
29/09/13 08:28 AM
Smudger1956 Offline
Shinys.....too many to mention..!!

Likes Given: 502
Superb tutorial......Thumbs Up
29/09/13 08:38 AM
twiglet Offline

Likes Given: 866
Sex: Undisclosed
(29/09/13 08:28 AM)Darvaper Wrote:  When tempering the coil with a lighter I find it ends up sooty.
Any body else find this.

Yes. I don't have a blowtorch so I stick it on the svd and fire it up, get it glowing then power off and squeeze straight away. No soot and much closer coils than I can get with a lighter.

What gauge kanthal did you use Zig?

29/09/13 08:39 AM
zigackly Offline
You're ferpectly right

Likes Given: 1,514

Thanks all.

(29/09/13 08:28 AM)Darvaper Wrote:  When tempering the coil with a lighter I find it ends up sooty.
Any body else find this.

The hottest part of a lighter flame is actually about half a cm above the tip. If you put the wire in the flame it will get sooty, but you hold it above the flame and it shouldn't. If you do find it gets a bit darker, finish it off like twiglet says.

(29/09/13 08:39 AM)twiglet Wrote:  What gauge kanthal did you use Zig?

0.2 mm kanthal mate. You could get lower resistance with thicker kanthal, or you could get more wraps on, but I want as much of the coil as possible directly over the air hole, so I prefer a smaller coil.

Provari Mini & Kayfun, Paps with Diver & Scuba, Atomic RDA, cheap mechs & BT804s
(This post was last modified: 29/09/13 08:58 AM by zigackly. )
29/09/13 08:54 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
allnamestaken69 Offline

Likes Given: 66
Sex:
I made one I made one Big Grin installed it on my DID.

1Ohm Cotton wick lol vapes like a charm ^_^. I used my syringe like you did Tongue.

29/09/13 08:58 AM
Ash2Ashes Offline
"Floss is Boss!"

Likes Given: 746
Not quite a dream but following your tutorial i just set up a nano on the spheroid in 20 mins Smiling Cheers

"How much can you know about yourself if you've never been in a fight?"
29/09/13 09:00 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like Ash2Ashes's post:
TDM (29/09/13), zigackly (29/09/13)
twiglet Offline

Likes Given: 866
Sex: Undisclosed
(29/09/13 08:54 AM)zigackly Wrote:  Thanks all.

Any body else find this.

The hottest part of a lighter flame is actually about half a cm above the tip. If you put the wire in the flame it will get sooty, but you hold it above the flame and it shouldn't. If you do find it gets a bit darker, finish it off like twiglet says.

(29/09/13 08:39 AM)twiglet Wrote:  What gauge kanthal did you use Zig?

0.2 mm kanthal mate.

I'm impressed, I find .20 irritatingly springy even after flaming it a few times so got some .30, but .30 doesn't sit so well with the pins in the Dream. I'll have to give it another try.

29/09/13 09:00 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)