Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Do you think your vaping is making you sick?
sweettalkin1970 Offline

Likes Given: 784
Sex: Female
Re: RE: Do you think your vaping is making you sick?
(06/03/13 10:37 AM)charmedwn Wrote:  Hi all. I have smoked cigarettes since I was 21 and suffered no side effects at all. I gave up as a sacrifice for my Mum who has lung Cancer (Not from smoking) I have been vaping since August last year, but since I started I have been sick with flu, colds, depression, sore throats and chest infections. At first I thought it was withdrawal symptoms from cigarettes, but now I have been vaping 5 months, I am starting to wonder about how safe vaping really is. I would like to know if anyone out there has had the same experience? Please feel free to contact me. I am getting quite concerned.

Speaking from experience as I suffer from depression and anxiety..when you are feeling low you tend to dwell on things..thinking the slightest little thing is making you feel worse...colds and things seem to feel much worse and things you tend not to worry about are always on your mind.
I might well be talking shite but I suggest you see your doctor because maybe if your thinking a bit more logical about things it might not just seem so bad. Wink
This IMO

06/03/13 11:58 AM
Find all posts by this user Return to top
Buxton74 Offline

Likes Given: 1,467
Sex: Male
RE: Do you think your vaping is making you sick?
I had a sore throat and bad chest for the first week of vaping, after that I felt nothing but improvement. Certainly no depression.

As others have said, I seriously recommend you see your GP. Any cold and flu-like symptons that persist for so long could have a number of underlying causes which may or may not be serious. You are right in saying that they can't do anything for colds and flu, but you are assuming that it is those which are causing your symptoms. This may be a dangerous assumption. It is better to be safe than sorry. In all cases, it is better to find any potential serious illness sooner rather than later.

In as far as vaping goes, switching to VG-based juices should ease your throat and chest. Consider methol juice.

"True wisdom comes from knowing that we know nothing"

http://www.facebook.com/lee.buxton
06/03/13 12:00 PM
damnager Online

Likes Given: 144
Another thing is that you may be intolerant to either PG or VG as some are. Try one or the other or maybe a 70/30 mix and see if that helps. There are many on here who have an intolerance to one or the other (normally PG). Good luck.

Buxton 74 beat me too it :-)

Once I thought I was wrong but thankfully I was mistaken.
06/03/13 12:02 PM
Bongobry Offline
Cullion

Likes Given: 291
I know it's not popular to be a nay-sayer here because everyone is so protective over their vaping, but you're not alone there with your concern, Charmedwn.

I've had no end of problems in the 6 months since taking up vaping. At it's worst I had to take myself to hospital thinking I was going to have a heart attack. I now know I'm pretty much intolerant to nicotine in vapourised form, even the smallest amounts. A few puffs on a low 7mg juice and my heart goes like the clappers just walking up the stairs - and I feel ill, have palpitations, anxiety, chest pain, and tingling down the left arm. That went on every day for 5 months, so was bound to get me depressed.

When I vape my 0% nic herbal e-liquid none of aforementioned happens, but every time I go back and have a couple of cheeky toots on nicotine e-liquid then it comes back as regular as clockwork. It's not psychological, but physiological, though many would (particularly on US ecig forums) vehemently have us believe otherwise. I understand their point; I love vaping too and am very protective over my habit, but I can't escape the fact that my body has other ideas.

The past few days I've been off nicotine for good. Even on 0 nic I know that VG liquid weighs heavy on my lungs and gives my breathing problems so I have to dilute it down with PG. PG liquid doesn't give me breathing problems but seems to be giving me reflux and other chest pains, possibly costochondritus. The doctor gave me some medication yesterday to see if it is reflux, and it's making me feel lousy. My stamina has been shot since starting vaping, and my heart still goes faster during mild exertions than it ever did on the fags. I may have to quit vaping altogether in the not too distant future, as something - whether it be PG, VG, flavourings or all three - is disagreeing with me big style.

Funny how I could smoke 30 rollies a day and have none of these problems, and I could go cycling long distances, walk in the mountains, row along the canals in my dinghy while tanking beers and chain smoking and have none of the above issues. Now the prospect of walking up a few flights of stairs fills me with dread. Thanks, e-cigs! Sad

Still, would I go back on the fags, even after all this health shenanigans? Of course not! Thanks, e-cigs! Smile

My advice to you is... if in doubt, leave it out. Unfortunately, I'm an idiot and I'm not very good at following my own advice.
06/03/13 12:12 PM
[-] The following 6 users Like Bongobry's post:
a15htn (23/06/13), DarthPistachio (08/06/13), diz (06/03/13), Loganberry (06/03/13), LoneMyst (04/08/13), SkeptikVapr (03/04/13)
Escapedfromdeath Offline

Likes Given: 853
Sick...no
Skint.... Yes!

Price is what you pay, value is what you get
-Warren Buffett
06/03/13 12:16 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Escapedfromdeath's post:
Vapeoholic (26/03/13)
Bongobry Offline
Cullion

Likes Given: 291
(06/03/13 11:53 AM)Bulldog Brit Wrote:  It could be down to the stress of your mother's illness (I wish her well, btw). People just don't realise that stress can effect us in many ways and it can get to a point where your immune system cannot keep up, and so you become even more prone to catching colds and stuff.

I am also very sorry to hear about your mum's illness and I hope things improve swiftly. There is a very real possibility that the two situations are linked. I think by the very mention of your mother being unwell that you have already started to factor this into the equation too.

Fair play to you mate for staying of the ciggies under these difficult circumstances. Despite what I said at the end of my last post, I think I'd instinctively be reaching for the fags if I were in your situation, so hats off to you for your perseverance Smiling
(This post was last modified: 06/03/13 01:01 PM by Bongobry. )
06/03/13 12:48 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bongobry's post:
HandsomeStan (06/03/13)
MrRaffles Offline

Likes Given: 67
I haven't felt anything very different, except perhaps for more tiredness. I put that down to the fact that I tend to chain vape, whereas with rollies it was a half hourly hit. I need to get into the habit of vaping a little less often, which it difficult with delicious butterscotch rum vape tickling my tastebuds!

The folks on this forum have been fantastic, really supportive. As much as we love our vaping, I don't think any of us would promote it to someone who felt it was causing them serious health concerns. So I read the 'see your doctor' comment as just that - get yourself checked out. Good luck.

SHOULD I STAND AMID THE VAPERS / OR SHOULD I LIE WITH DEATH MY BRIDE?
06/03/13 12:50 PM
sej016 Offline
Mainly E-Pipe Mods
Mod Makers and Sellers

Likes Given: 923
Sex: Undisclosed
Perhaps one theory is that smoking, itself causing it's own symptoms and problems, can mask or disguise other underlying conditions you may not previously been aware of.

Stopping smoking and vaping instead has permitted those disguised symptoms to now emerge?

In such cases the advice would be the same. If in any doubt, consult your GP (you pay enough for the service through tax and NI, after all).

Steve J
Vaporatum ergo sum

http://www.pipevapes.co.uk/
06/03/13 01:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Return to top
[-] The following 1 user Likes sej016's post:
JDCFH (06/03/13)
HandsomeStan Offline
Left Voluntarily

Likes Given: 572
Sex: Undisclosed
Personally I have seen improvements, generally feel happier, no chest pain or coughing when I wake up etc... but will not deny that I get breathless, more so than when I smoked. I put this down to vaping too much. I replaced smoking with vaping but found I really enjoy vaping a bit too much, give me some creme caramel and I can rinse 8ml in a day.

I also now have a back covered in spots, which in my 30 years (nearly) i have never suffered from, is it too much nicotine and thats my body removing it? I dunno but my advice which I ignored for a long time, but since taking it seems to be 1. clearing up my spots and 2. making me generally feel a lot better is drink water, lots of water! It helps your body flush all the crap out!

Also as Bongobry wisely states, your mum being ill could be the cause of those symptoms, stress causes untold health issues, google stress related problems, even the spots im suffering with could be a result of losing my baeutiful boy Winston (in the photo) apparently anxiety and stress releases too much testosterone (and some other chemical, cant remember off the top of my head) but your body needs to get rid, hence horrible spotty back.

I hope you figure it out, and wish you all the best, Jake
06/03/13 02:11 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes HandsomeStan's post:
han78 (02/08/13)
JayLavEnts Offline
Retailer- London
Vendors

Likes Given: 470
(06/03/13 12:12 PM)Bongobry Wrote:  I now know I'm pretty much intolerant to nicotine in vapourised form, even the smallest amounts. A few puffs on a low 7mg juice and my heart goes like the clappers just walking up the stairs..

When I vape my 0% nic herbal e-liquid none of aforementioned happens, but...

Funny how I could smoke 30 rollies a day and have none of these problems, and I could go cycling long distances, walk in the mountains, row along the canals in my dinghy while tanking beers and chain smoking and have none of the above issues. Now the prospect of walking up a few flights of stairs fills me with dread. Thanks, e-cigs! Sad

Smoke-borne nicotine and steam-borne nicotine are no different, surely? The vehicle is the only separation. I can't comprehend how you think nicotine is the enemy if you smoked 30rollies a day, as there's way more nicotine in that than a few puffs of 7mg.

Maybe there is a separate withdrawal from something else in the smoke, instead of what Is in the vapour?

I'm not a health professional so I won't tell you it's psychological without seeing Dr. House test you for Everything first.

But it could be... And you would never know. The body makes it real, that's what happens.

Good luck with it anyway.

JayLav Enterprises
E-Cigarettes supplies, advice and Education
@Jaylavents
Coming soon! New Ecig Lounge Bar in London!
London's Independent Vaping Vendor
Vape free, Vape happy
06/03/13 02:27 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)