• 0 Votes - 0 Average
E-Cig side effects? My story.......
bufon Offline
Left Voluntarily

Likes Given: 104
Sex:
E-Cig side effects? My story.......
Fellow Vapers,

Just thought I'd share my story with you.

History. Former tobacco addict, 30-40 cigs a day for 25 years.

For over a year, I had become conscious of the damage I was doing to my health and as a result, embarked on a damage limitation exercise; I decided to change over from normal strength cigs to ultra-lights, (0.1 - 0.4 strength nicotine), laughable I know, though my smoker's cough certainly didn't testify to the new super-low tar content. My daily consumption remained the same. I never even tried to give up because I knew I couldn't. Patches, gum and all that, were no substitute for my ritual of a cigarette, and the craving for my medicine. The bizarre truth was that I hated the taste of nearly all of the tobacco I smoked but I am a self-confessed nicotine addict.

One fine day two months ago, I stumbled across an ad for Ecigs, so decided to make a few enquiries at a high-street pharmacy. I was re-directed to a shopping centre and came across an Ecig stall selling VIP Ecigs. My mind was completely closed to the whole idea of 'vaping' and there was no way, I thought, that anything could possibly replace something I'd depended on throughout my entire adult life. No way.

I tried the Ecig there and then and haven't smoked since. A miracle, an absolute miracle. Actually, it was effortless, no feelings of withdrawal or self-denial whatsoever; the alternative simply tasted better and I felt physically, (and even mentally, I think), healthier for it. I don't like the taste of boiled cabbage and I don't like the taste of tobacco; easy as hell to give up something you don't like. Ecigs, to me, are what cigarettes always should have been; great tasting, (Lord bring me coconut and marzipan), and I honestly don't remember feeling so healthy. Whether or not I am is another subject, but I feel it.

However...................

From the onset, (especially at night), I began to chain-vape; I don't actually know when to stop. When I used to smoke a cigarette, I felt satiated and generally didn't need another one immediately after. With Ecigs, there's no limit to my vaping, no 'cut-off' point, no threshold. I'm still on the VIP kit I bought; a mini- ecig, (180mah battery), and a 510 cig, (280mah battery), which I bought shortly after the VIP. I still haven't finished the pre-filled 16mg nicotine strength PG cartos I bought from VIP and another online retailer. With the VIP mini, I get virtually no throat hit whatsoever on coffee flavour, (after consecutive vapes), compared to the menthol flavour on the 510, despite identical nicotine strengths. I get through two cartomisers a day, about 2ml, I believe. For what it's worth, I have just ordered an Joyetech Ego 650 + 900 battery, and SmokTech mega dual coil 5ml cartomisers. I have yet to order E-liquid.

Sadly, not all is joy. Since the crossover to vaping, by the end of the evening, I invariably end up with a sore throat. My palette is unresponsive. I am forced to draw quite intensely, (on the VIP especially); whatever it takes, I suppose, to ingest my medicine. Furthermore, and slightly more disconcerting, is that I'm developing a sleeping disorder; insomnia in a word. In my tobacco days, the outcome of supper followed by two cigs and a good book was always the same; deep slumber. Now I'm like an owl, wide-eyed, super-alert. This worries me........

Would most welcome your comments or recommendations re; the above and equally interested to know of any post - tobacco changes that you may be experiencing.

I would like to thank all the helpful, friendly souls on here for steering a bewildered newbie in the right direction in the last week or so, and apologies for sometimes being over-inquisitive Undecided

Thanks for reading guys and a Happy New Year to you all Smiling
(This post was last modified: 28/12/12 07:25 PM by bufon. )
28/12/12 07:13 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 4 users Like bufon's post:
Cheekiecharlie (28/12/12), cpbaz (29/12/12), Dragonmum (02/01/13), FlamingKaty (29/12/12)
Kibbster Offline

Likes Given: 467
Sex: Male
RE: E-Cig side effects? My story.......
I have found insomnia on occasions when I've been vaping a bit too much.
As well as sore throat and nic headaches.

All part of a minor nic O.D I guess.

I also find that it's the evening I vape heavily and increase my chances of OD'ing.

Are you keeping your water intake up to compensate for vaping more?
This should help the throat and dehydration because PG does have a drying effect.
Also try to slow down before bedtime, you won't die from not caning it just before bed, it's probably a psychological thing because you know you are going to bed and that may be why you are vaping too much late at night before bed.

28/12/12 07:23 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kibbster's post:
bufon (28/12/12)
likeatrainwreck Offline

Likes Given: 998
Re: E-Cig side effects? My story.......
I experienced the exact same issues when I started vaping. The sore throat I fixed by switching to VG instead of PG, although many people continue to use PG and say the sore throat stage passes.

I also started on 18mg and found it was giving me insomnia so have lowered my nicotine level.

As far as getting a proper "kick" from the VIP, I don't think you will, and I think this is why you are chain vaping too much. It might be worth considering upgrading to something like an ego battery with a clearomizer. When I did this it made the world of difference. I could never get any satisfaction out of a little cigalike... With a better performing device you'll find you get more of a hit, even with weaker juice, and therefore won't need to vape quite so much.
28/12/12 07:25 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 5 users Like likeatrainwreck's post:
bufon (28/12/12), Cheekiecharlie (28/12/12), cpbaz (29/12/12), FlamingKaty (29/12/12), Silversurfer (28/12/12)
HappyVaping Offline
Happy Vaper

Likes Given: 339
Funnily enough the mother in law is having the exact same problem, also with the same cigs as you mentioned. So I tried her 24mg vip cigalike and it was like breathing fresh air, it didnt get a throat hit, not even a tickle, I may have well been vaping 0 nic for all the good it done me, now if I had put 24mg into my setup it would have ripped my throat apart and them some. I would probably still be coughing now Tongue
I however did notice some things, she had coffee cartos and couldnt get a hit out of them, they had been reduced in price apparently, when i tried them they tasted terrible and didnt seem to be doing what they should, so I refilled them and then they started to work properly, maybe a bad fill at the factory I dont know, but she always says that after I refill hers they taste better even though all I am putting in is some unflavoured 24mg.
I think that what it boils down to is this, the sleepless nights could be down to you are actually taking in too much nicotine, a lot more than you are used to, but as you are not receiving the throat hit, its like your brain is saying to you no throat hit = no cig and that is where you are then thinking oh im not getting my nicotine when in fact you are probably getting too much.

I would say that when your new equipment comes you will start to see why we all have gone from the cigalikes and moved on to better things, no offense to any cigalike company but my simple joyetech vv twist and vivi nova tank is like a ferrari compared to the mini Tongue and even though my setup is simple compared to a lot of others out there for me it does the job, simply put, I dont need to smoke with it and the vaping satisfys my cravings, something that I have found that the cigalikes never done for me no matter the strength (cough 36mg) I put in them, they never ever done the job for me, yet 12mg on my current setup is sometimes too strong for me now.
I believe when your setup comes you may find the same.

I enjoy vaping nicotine in the same way I enjoy a coffee. Nicotine doesnt keep me up all night though as wired as caffeine does.
28/12/12 07:30 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like HappyVaping's post:
bufon (28/12/12), Dragonmum (02/01/13), FlamingKaty (29/12/12)
bufon Offline
Left Voluntarily

Sex:

(28/12/12 07:30 PM)HappyVaping Wrote:  I think that what it boils down to is this, the sleepless nights could be down to you are actually taking in too much nicotine, a lot more than you are used to, but as you are not receiving the throat hit, its like your brain is saying to you no throat hit = no cig and that is where you are then thinking oh im not getting my nicotine when in fact you are probably getting too much.

Interesting HV. Roll Eyes Psychology of the Vaper. Mmmmm. Excellent! Smiling
28/12/12 07:38 PM
bufon Offline
Left Voluntarily

Sex:

Guys, I don't know how to calculate all this nicotine stuff on the pre-filled cartos etc. 16mg? What does that mean? So, I used to smoke 30-40 a day, let's say 0.3 nicotine. How does that compare to 16mg written on the carto box and me vaping 2 cartos which is about 2.5ml max? How much more nicotine am I consuming? God I hope you're not going to shock me. Scared to vape now! Undecided
(This post was last modified: 28/12/12 07:55 PM by bufon. )
28/12/12 07:45 PM
likeatrainwreck Offline

Likes Given: 998
Re: RE: E-Cig side effects? My story.......
(28/12/12 07:45 PM)bufon Wrote:  Guys, I don't know how to calculate all this nicotine stuff on the pre-filled cartos etc. 16mg? What does that mean? So, I used to smoke 30-40 a day, let's say 0.3 nicotine. How does that compare to 16mg written on the carto box and me vaping 2 cartos which is about 2.5ml max? How much more nicotine am I consuming? God I hope you're not going to shock me. Scared to vape now! Undecided

Unfortunately there isn't really a reliable way to compare cigarette and eliquid nicotine levels... It's more a case of trial and error till you find what works for you...
28/12/12 07:58 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
bufon Offline
Left Voluntarily

Sex:

(28/12/12 07:58 PM)likeatrainwreck Wrote:  
(28/12/12 07:45 PM)bufon Wrote:  Guys, I don't know how to calculate all this nicotine stuff on the pre-filled cartos etc. 16mg? What does that mean? So, I used to smoke 30-40 a day, let's say 0.3 nicotine. How does that compare to 16mg written on the carto box and me vaping 2 cartos which is about 2.5ml max? How much more nicotine am I consuming? God I hope you're not going to shock me. Scared to vape now! Undecided

Unfortunately there isn't really a reliable way to compare cigarette and eliquid nicotine levels... It's more a case of trial and error till you find what works for you...
I find that hard to believe, it's just maths isn't it, which I'm lousy at! Sad No, offence intended! Smiling
28/12/12 08:02 PM
Kibbster Offline

Likes Given: 467
I would say below 16mg is regarded as low nic.
16-18 is medium.
24 high.
36 V high.
40+ Nutter level Wink

The lower nic juices generally have less throat hit but you'll need to vape more if you were a heavy smoker and on a medium str juice.

But as has been said everyone is different and has different requirements with nic levels, amount vaped and TH.

It's also hard to compare Nic levels in vaping with ciggies.
E-cigs deliver nicotine differently from ciggies IMHO.

28/12/12 08:20 PM
amitron Offline
Worthy of Laudation

Likes Given: 2,630
Worth factoring in we dont absorb the nicotine from eliquid as efficiently as we do ciggarettes from what I gather the baccy in cigs even has chemicals added to aid the absorption of nictoine by the lungs.

Personally I usually vape between 24-38mg eliquid some flavours I vape at 18mg because they dont come in any other strength but I dont go any lower than that. I've tried going lower and I cant do it at this time. I find at 18-24 I chain vape whereas with higher strength liquid I get my nic dose quickly.
28/12/12 08:26 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like amitron's post:
cpbaz (29/12/12), philmein (28/12/12)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)