Important: Your continued use of this forum indicates acceptance of the forum rules. Please make sure you have read and understand these rules.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
EU draft Tobacco Products Directive: who to write to and what to say
politicalconcerns Offline
Professional Interest
Professional Interest

Likes Given: 6
Sex: Undisclosed
RE: EU draft Tobacco Products Directive: who to write to and what to say
(05/03/13 02:17 PM)fatmagic Wrote:  
(05/03/13 12:04 PM)Rojeans Wrote:  
(05/03/13 02:39 AM)fatmagic Wrote:  What do I do here? I am keen to see if I can have these things safely and legally allowed for use on submarines. I would like some help on who to write to and what to say. Don't really contact my MP often if I'm honest. I've got a lot to say and no idea how to say it... help anyone?
There's a PDF here http://www.facebook.com/groups/casaamemb...381710281/

that's really helpful, thanks. How about a letter to my MP? should i do that too?

I don't think that the legal use of vapourisers on submarines is a matter of primary legislation: I'd have thought that it would be MoD protocol that needs to permit submariners to use them (though I'm not an expert in the defence realm). IN that case I'd start with letters to the Minister of Defence (currently Phillip Hammond) and maybe have a conversation on the phone with his special advisers to talk about how you might go about doing this. You'll be able to find details of special advisers on the web.

05/03/13 02:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
fatmagic Offline

Likes Given: 18
Sex: Male
(05/03/13 02:32 PM)politicalconcerns Wrote:  
(05/03/13 02:17 PM)fatmagic Wrote:  
(05/03/13 12:04 PM)Rojeans Wrote:  
(05/03/13 02:39 AM)fatmagic Wrote:  What do I do here? I am keen to see if I can have these things safely and legally allowed for use on submarines. I would like some help on who to write to and what to say. Don't really contact my MP often if I'm honest. I've got a lot to say and no idea how to say it... help anyone?
There's a PDF here http://www.facebook.com/groups/casaamemb...381710281/

that's really helpful, thanks. How about a letter to my MP? should i do that too?

I don't think that the legal use of vapourisers on submarines is a matter of primary legislation: I'd have thought that it would be MoD protocol that needs to permit submariners to use them (though I'm not an expert in the defence realm). IN that case I'd start with letters to the Minister of Defence (currently Phillip Hammond) and maybe have a conversation on the phone with his special advisers to talk about how you might go about doing this. You'll be able to find details of special advisers on the web.

thanks for that! winner!Idea

roses are red, violets are blue, I like bacon, make me a buttie...Big Grin
05/03/13 03:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
Glamredhel Offline

Likes Given: 33
Sex:
I've had positive responses from The English and Spanish right wing MEPS, UKIP and Independants. I've had absolutely no response from any Left Wing (sic) representatives. One British independent even suggested that it was none of the eu's business and the sooner we're out of it the better. Think that may put her out of a job but I could be wrong HeHe!
02/04/13 12:48 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Glamredhel's post:
Dragonmum (02/04/13), FlamingKaty (02/04/13)
jimthecarper Offline
Mod Makers and Sellers

Likes Given: 61
(30/01/13 06:02 PM)BlackwaterVaper Wrote:  I used writetothem on 21st December and received one reply a couple of weeks later saying whoever (forgotten who) had a lot of letters and read and replied to each one personally so I'd have a long wait.
I then went to http://www.europarl.eu, found the MEPs for my area, and sent the same email to each, seperately, but each addressed to that one so it lookes as if I was only writing to them.
I've had two replies, one from a Conservartive who I think must have been quoting HiFiStud, and one from a Lib-Dem who sent identical ignorant emails to everybody. I replied to her first email with another giving her nine favourable independant studies, she thanked me and informed me that a colleague was asking a written question about the dangers of PG.
I haven't even had acknowledgements from the rest, so my third letter to the Lib-Dem will go to the rest, only they'll get the first one at the begiining of it along with the statement that this is the third time I'd written and I hoped they wouldn't continue ignoring somebody who voted for them.

That's it. Of course I have a few new studies to add for the lot.

Like you I have been emailing my MEP's.
Do you have any links to favourable studies on "Vaping", I would like to include these in my round of emails.

Shield, Stig Helix, K-Box, Andromeda, etc., etc.
Maker of the "Golden Box Mod" & many more.
11/04/13 07:37 PM
Doodlebug Offline
Professional Interest
Professional Interest

Likes Given: 1,485
(11/04/13 07:37 PM)jimthecarper Wrote:  
(30/01/13 06:02 PM)BlackwaterVaper Wrote:  I used writetothem on 21st December and received one reply a couple of weeks later saying whoever (forgotten who) had a lot of letters and read and replied to each one personally so I'd have a long wait.
I then went to http://www.europarl.eu, found the MEPs for my area, and sent the same email to each, seperately, but each addressed to that one so it lookes as if I was only writing to them.
I've had two replies, one from a Conservartive who I think must have been quoting HiFiStud, and one from a Lib-Dem who sent identical ignorant emails to everybody. I replied to her first email with another giving her nine favourable independant studies, she thanked me and informed me that a colleague was asking a written question about the dangers of PG.
I haven't even had acknowledgements from the rest, so my third letter to the Lib-Dem will go to the rest, only they'll get the first one at the begiining of it along with the statement that this is the third time I'd written and I hoped they wouldn't continue ignoring somebody who voted for them.

That's it. Of course I have a few new studies to add for the lot.

Like you I have been emailing my MEP's.
Do you have any links to favourable studies on "Vaping", I would like to include these in my round of emails.

Hi, Jim,

We've collated a few here: http://www.ecita.org.uk/collated%20scien...202013.pdf

and there's more info on our 'Science and Safety' page here: http://www.ecita.org.uk/science%20and%20safety.htm

plus loads more to be had if you look around...

(We'll be updating our collated research as soon as we have finished with the immediate work in Strasbourg and Brussels.)

Cheers,

Katherine

11/04/13 08:18 PM
Stobart Driver Away

Likes Given: 654
Here is a copy of the e-mail I received from the office of Chris Davies MEP.

Dear Mark,

Thank you for your email to Chris regarding the proposed Tobacco Products Directive. As you can imagine, we’ve had a lot of replies from smokers and ex-smokers all over the UK, so he’s taking a little time to sort through everything and will reply to everyone as soon as he can.

Chris is the UK team leader on the Environment and Public Health Committee, although his Belgian colleague, Frédérique Ries MEP, leads on the issue for European Liberals. He is greatly in favour of harm reduction as a principle and it may be the case that e-cigarettes help to reduce the numbers of smokers where so many other methods have not had such impressive success rates.

He thinks it will be necessary to introduce regulations to ensure their safe content, but he is opposed to banning them and is not convinced by the European Commission's proposal to restrict their nicotine content. Safety regulations that he could get behind might be for example obliging manufacturers to list the ingredients or including a warning such as “nicotine may be addictive” on packaging.

The aim of these regulations should be to keep e-cigarettes available as a harm reduction tool for adults while possibly restricting marketing to ensure they are not attractive to young people, for example not advertising near schools or in magazines aimed at young people.

Some people who have got in touch have been concerned that regulations will mean products will disappear until they can be approved. This will most certainly not be the case. European regulations and directives almost always have transition periods of at least a year (if not several) between the legislation being passed and them actually coming into force, so there would be no danger of existing users suddenly being unable to purchase their refills.

Research into the long term effects of vaping is not extensive and so the committee has commissioned some research from its policy department. MEPs have also been hearing from “stakeholders” such as E-cigarette manufacturers and public health experts, and Chris hopes that the views of those who have got in touch about vaping will also be taken into account.

The Rapporteur (the MEP in charge of guiding the legislation through the Parliament) is Linda McAvan, a Labour MEP, who seems quite keen to crack down hard on health issues so Chris is consulting with her as to what amendments she may accept. It seems there has been some research done last year that suggests these devices may act as a “gateway” to smoking cigarettes (although every reply from constituents that we’ve seen so far suggests the opposite).

Chris’s impression is that a substantial number of MEPs appear to be prejudiced against E-cigarettes because they look like cigarettes, and are perhaps overlooking the benefits they may bring to those who are trying to give up smoking. Clearly there is a difference between those looking like this and vapourisers which look more like a fountain pen.

Linda McAvan MEP has completed her initial report on the Directive Proposal, and Chris is likely to put down some amendments so he might email you again nearer the votes to encourage other MEPs to support certain points he will make.

You should know that the process will take a number of months. There will be initial discussion on the 25th of April and then the Committee will meet on the 10th and 11th of July to vote on the report. The first plenary (full parliament) votes are scheduled for September 2013. You can keep up with the proposals and the Parliamentary procedure here.

Thank you again for giving Chris your views on this subject. It is wonderful that so many of you have taken the time to contribute.

I hope this email has given you a little background about where the proposals will go from here. Do get in touch if there is anything else you would like clarifying.

As an aside, we usually ask constituents for their postcodes just so we can keep our records up to date. If you could reply to this email with this information then we can keep track of who we’ve got in touch with in the constituency.

Kind regards,

Kat Dadswell | Casework Assistant
Office of Chris Davies MEP
North West Liberal Democrats
87a Castle Street
Stockport
United Kingdom SK3 9AR

http://www.chrisdaviesmep.org.uk

I didn't quit nicotine... I just chose a safer way to use it.

Big Grin
13/04/13 01:01 PM
Stobart Driver Away

Likes Given: 654
And my reply... if I got any of this wrong... please advise, but this is supposed to be a personal reply and not a 'stock' reply from an organisation as the labour MEP's are so prone to make use of.

Dear Kat,
Chris & The Office

Thank you so much for your reply. It makes a change from the 'stock / non-committal / party line' communicae we have recieved from other MP/MEP offices.
At last it seems someone is willing to listen to the points of view of the users of e-cigarettes, or personal vapourisers (PV's), as they really should be called.

I can see that the 'powers that be' are concerned but on the following points we can say:

1 Encouraging youngsters to take up smoking ... there is no evidence AT ALL to support the theory that PV's are seen as a 'gateway' to cigarettes. But I'll guarantee that if they become restricted/banned they sure as hell will get kids attentions... if you want to popularise something.. ban it!!

2 Packaging & Warnings....... All liquids are already sold in childproof ( even bloody adultproof ) bottles, and are clearly marked with the contents and the nicotine strength, along with advisory notice. Some suppliers go further to advise on the potential hazards of nicotine in the raw state, which is actually un-obtainable in the Uk ( and Europe, USA and others I think ).
Their sale in the UK is restricted by all responsible vendors, in the high st AND over the internet, to those over 18. As a point to be made.. the sale of weapons is restricted by immense legislation... has that stopped gun / knife crime???

3 It is the general concensus that PV's are used, NOT as a 'QUIT SMOKING TOOL', but as a 'QUIT TOBACCO METHOD' and as such there is no illness being treated and therefore cannot be classified as a therapy or remedy. The aim is NOT to quit using nicotine, although this does occaisionally happen for a few users. We are not ILL, although returning to use readily available, unrestricted tobacco products will almost certainly kill us.

It is also the opinion of the majority of vapers, that the Pharmaceutical Industry need these products to be banned/ regulated as medicines so they get control, in order to protect their own interests in the killer market. There is no profit for them in the living, only the dying.. and its proven that NRT patches/sprays are minimally effective at approx 3%. The fact remains that there are more harmful chemicals in a 'QuickMist' spray than in any vapers liquid.

The NHS Quit Smoking Campaign is a farce and costs the British Tax-Payer ( of which I am 1 ) millions of pounds a year, money that could be well spent in other areas. Their 'success' figures include 'repeat quitters' i.e. those that quit smoking for a while and then return, only to try to quit again, and again, and again.

The Tobacco industry also has a vested interest in having PV's restricted / banned, as they are already having an impact on their huge killer profits. Why else would a tobacco company buy up a brand of E-Cig ?

As I said in my original e-mail to Chris, there are numerous INDEPENDANT surveys, reports and studies that are available to support everything that vaping is, what it means, and what it can do. But the 'powers that be' only seem interested in the data supplied by those funded by the Pharma industry and those having an 'inside' interest / alterior motive.

Perhaps... this is a long shot.. perhaps Chris and yourself could come along to Vapefest in August this year. Its a gathering of vapers, old and new, who share a common interest... that of vaping .. or using e-cigarettes .. as an alternative to smoking tobacco. People from ALL walks of life, social circles, and professional standing all coming together to celebrate a way of LIFE not death, as a good many of us have actually saved our own lives by implementing an effective harm reduction technique.

I and all the vapers in the UK ( and Europe ) look forward to your continued interest in our cause and our lives, and hope you will support us.

Best Regards

Mark Mellor

I didn't quit nicotine... I just chose a safer way to use it.

Big Grin
13/04/13 01:06 PM
[-] The following 8 users Like Stobart Driver's post:
AlpineNewt (13/04/13), BlackwaterVaper (23/04/13), Doodlebug (13/04/13), Dragonmum (13/04/13), FlamingKaty (13/04/13), gj1 (13/04/13), johnhep (13/04/13), Kate (13/04/13)
piddy Offline
www.piddy.co.uk
Vendors

Likes Given: 235
(13/04/13 01:06 PM)Stobart Driver Wrote:  And my reply... if I got any of this wrong... please advise, but this is supposed to be a personal reply and not a 'stock' reply from an organisation as the labour MEP's are so prone to make use of.

That was really good Mark

13/04/13 02:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 1 user Likes piddy's post:
Stobart Driver (14/04/13)
Rojeans Offline
Vendors

Likes Given: 2,430
Well put Mark. The only thing I'd point out is a couple of typo's, could be worth running an English spell-check?

One of Liverpool's first and oldest 'independent' electronic cigarette shop
Now IBVTA member.
13/04/13 02:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rojeans's post:
Stobart Driver (14/04/13)
Doodlebug Offline
Professional Interest
Professional Interest

Likes Given: 1,485
Never thought I'd say it, but stuff the typos! Straight from the heart, straight to the target! Tongue

Nice job, Mark. See you at VF... Wink

13/04/13 07:24 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Doodlebug's post:
Rojeans (14/04/13), Stobart Driver (14/04/13)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)