Digicig Offline
Discalceated Vaper

Likes Given: 2,128
Sex: Male
Ecigs: Addiction vs Dependency
Found this via the Escape the Analogue Blog

By Fr. Jack Kearney

24/06/13 03:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 4 users Like Digicig's post:
FlamingKaty (24/06/13), GIBLA53 (24/06/13), Josef K (24/06/13), zigackly (24/06/13)
Smarty90 Online

Likes Given: 965
RE: Ecigs: Addiction vs Dependency
Lol is he a real priest? Anyway, I have discovered today that I am very grumpy when I have no wire to vape with. It's purely a psychological craving, it's not like my body needs it to function.

4nine/Origen/0.8ohm cotton - T-juice's 'Red Astaire'
Ego/Micro D/2.0ohm silica - Grizwald's 'Black Cat'
24/06/13 03:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 1 user Likes Smarty90's post:
zigackly (24/06/13)
Digicig Offline
Discalceated Vaper

Likes Given: 2,128

Aye a 'Real' priest - Father Jack LoL

24/06/13 04:01 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
zigackly Offline
You're ferpectly right

Likes Given: 1,514
He makes a very good point. I don't think it's a terminology that most people would recognise though, because it's one that is used within the substance abuse treatment community and not generally understood by the wider public.

I think the best way to help most people understand is just to compare it to caffeine use without trying to explain the difference between addiction and dependency. Most people drink tea or coffee and it doesn't do them much harm, but it would be difficult for them to stop and if they did they would probably start again at some time in the future.

However they see it as harmless behaviour so it's entirely sociably acceptable, just as smoking was before it was realised how harmful that was. If the majority of people come to understand that vaping is not very harmful (presuming that is true), it may become more acceptable in the same way, although some social taboos just don't make logical sense so I'm not entirely convinced that will happen.

Provari Mini & Kayfun, Paps with Diver & Scuba, Atomic RDA, cheap mechs & BT804s
(This post was last modified: 24/06/13 04:09 PM by zigackly. )
24/06/13 04:07 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like zigackly's post:
Digicig (24/06/13), FlamingKaty (24/06/13), Kit (24/06/13)
JonnyB Offline

Likes Given: 8
Sex:
I always thought of dependency as something that has an adverse affect when withdrawn eg heroin or severe alcoholism. Personally I wouldn't call a feeling if irritability an adverse reaction but that's just me.
24/06/13 04:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
zigackly Offline
You're ferpectly right

(24/06/13 04:16 PM)JonnyB Wrote:  I always thought of dependency as something that has an adverse affect when withdrawn eg heroin or severe alcoholism. Personally I wouldn't call a feeling if irritability an adverse reaction but that's just me.

We're all different. Some people drink a lot more than others, and some don't even bother with it. Some people smoke forty a day and others ten, and a lot of people have never smoked. Some people find it relatively easy to stop, and others find it terribly difficult.

If you take an addictive substance as regularly as every day and have developed a tolerance to it, and it would be difficult to stop to the point of making you feel shit for a few days, weeks, or months, then you do have a dependency on it, whether you like the idea or not.

Most people would call that an addiction though, because the common dictionary definition of "addicted" is "to devote or surrender (oneself) to something habitually or obsessively," which doesn't include a concept of harm or even physical dependency. I could say I'm addicted to reading, and according to the common definition of the word I'd be correct to say so.

Provari Mini & Kayfun, Paps with Diver & Scuba, Atomic RDA, cheap mechs & BT804s
(This post was last modified: 24/06/13 04:44 PM by zigackly. )
24/06/13 04:32 PM
taffyjock Online

Likes Given: 752
neither adicted nor dependent, I just enjoy it

24/06/13 04:38 PM
JonnyB Offline

Sex:
Dependency probably has more negative connotations but as you say symptoms vary by individual. Does this mean there is no such thing as an addiction as the thing that brings people back is a negative effect of whatever the substance is being absent.
It's all semantics, just making coversation lol.
24/06/13 04:51 PM
zigackly Offline
You're ferpectly right

(24/06/13 04:51 PM)JonnyB Wrote:  Dependency probably has more negative connotations but as you say symptoms vary by individual. Does this mean there is no such thing as an addiction as the thing that brings people back is a negative effect of whatever the substance is being absent.
It's all semantics, just making coversation lol.

Probably the thing that starts bringing you back is the pleasure you get from it, but yeah it is all semantics because on another level it's just behaviour. It's only when behaviour becomes harmful that anyone needs to worry about it.

(This post was last modified: 24/06/13 05:08 PM by zigackly. )
24/06/13 05:07 PM
JonnyB Offline

Sex:
Agreed, people should be free to do as they please as long as its not effecting other people
24/06/13 05:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)