Important: Your continued use of this forum indicates acceptance of the forum rules. Please make sure you have read and understand these rules.

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Getting the best from your Sophia,
skelde Offline

Likes Given: 1,226
Sex: Undisclosed
RE: Getting the best from your Sophia,
(21/04/14 09:14 AM)Cohibacohiba Wrote:  I got some flat ribbon res/no res Pre zapped from GreyHaze and they're brilliant if anyone's interested. Only downside is they're a bit fragile so you have to be careful coiling but the taste and vapour production is excellent. Crackles like a microcoil :-)

Def a superior vape going on with those kanthal ribbons compared to the nichrome. Agree about the fragility - snapped 4 in a row couple of nights back. When you spend time lining things just so, getting the wire tension just perfect around the coil, and basically sodding around for 5 minutes trying to get it all perfect and then..... SNAP. If there was a baboon in the room I would have punched it on the nose.
13/05/14 11:02 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 1 user Likes skelde's post:
Cohibacohiba (13/05/14)
Cohibacohiba Offline

Likes Given: 439
Sex: Male
(13/05/14 11:02 AM)skelde Wrote:  
(21/04/14 09:14 AM)Cohibacohiba Wrote:  I got some flat ribbon res/no res Pre zapped from GreyHaze and they're brilliant if anyone's interested. Only downside is they're a bit fragile so you have to be careful coiling but the taste and vapour production is excellent. Crackles like a microcoil :-)

Def a superior vape going on with those kanthal ribbons compared to the nichrome. Agree about the fragility - snapped 4 in a row couple of nights back. When you spend time lining things just so, getting the wire tension just perfect around the coil, and basically sodding around for 5 minutes trying to get it all perfect and then..... SNAP. If there was a baboon in the room I would have punched it on the nose.

I'm getting better at coiling them. Fiddly but worth it as you say. I got a horrible metallic taste from a couple of early ones I did, put it down to either coils touching or silica strangled. I'm much more careful now.
Only other issue is the legs are thicker so it can be a struggle to get ceramic pushed in properly.
....oh and baboons deserve it :-)
13/05/14 11:29 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cohibacohiba's post:
skelde (13/05/14)
skelde Offline

Likes Given: 1,226
Sex: Undisclosed
(13/05/14 11:29 AM)Cohibacohiba Wrote:  I'm getting better at coiling them. Fiddly but worth it as you say. I got a horrible metallic taste from a couple of early ones I did, put it down to either coils touching or silica strangled. I'm much more careful now.
Only other issue is the legs are thicker so it can be a struggle to get ceramic pushed in properly.
....oh and baboons deserve it :-)

Yeah, it's an art lol. I've been playing with these ce2 cups for a few months now and I say that I'm much better than when I first started, although still room for improvement (like you say, that strangled wick and touching coil situation). I never thought about the legs being thicker. I've always found getting the ceramics a pain in the arse anyway, but that's a good point. I put a bit liquid into the cup and pin (the idea is to lube it but not sure if this makes any difference or not) and apply 'gentle' persuasion lol.

I think the coils touching is the major downside to ribbon. That's what makes it fiddly, getting them all space (tight squeeze in there) and making sure you haven't got a slopping silica going on (!). Once this pack has run out I'll probably go back to non ribbon but never again to nichrome; def a better standard of coil with these kanthal which is noticeable.
(This post was last modified: 13/05/14 12:11 PM by skelde.)
13/05/14 12:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
JohnnyEars Offline

Likes Given: 3,259
Jeff and I were having a pm conversation earlier about Sophias and ceramics and we decided it may be helpful to others to post some of the contents here. So here's a bit of it and the video clip I was talking about.

"Update on the flat kanthal sample you sent me.. I'm still using the same one! I've dry burnt it half a dozen times, I've just this second put it back together after stripping the ceramic out and torching the ceramic with the wick and wire still in (as per Leo's video). I must have had 100ml or more through this same coil in the 6 weeks I've been using it - and it still works like a new one! Fantastic bit of kit. And did I tell you I love my sophia lol"

20/05/14 01:29 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes JohnnyEars's post:
JoBo (17/06/14)
Jazzy J Offline

Likes Given: 1,688

iv just been asked for a photograph of the sophia body options side by side by a customer so he can see how they compare so thought you guys may appreciate this info too Wink

Top = Long Upper Body, built in drip tip,
Centre = Standard Body,
Bottom Short Upper Body,

(This post was last modified: 21/05/14 03:42 PM by Jazzy J.)
21/05/14 03:39 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Jazzy J's post:
JohnnyEars (21/05/14), skelde (21/05/14)
silverback Offline
"Do Not Feed"

Likes Given: 325
Whats the diam with the slim tank 17mm ??, i want it at 17mm to fit my Nemi, Stu

The Voices Made Me Do It
24/05/14 01:36 PM
Jazzy J Offline

Likes Given: 1,688

(24/05/14 01:36 PM)silverback Wrote:  Whats the diam with the slim tank 17mm ??, i want it at 17mm to fit my Nemi, Stu

Hi stu in off for the bank holiday mate but if you go through the contact us section in the House If Mods website I will let you know on my return to work in Tuesday,

Jeff

24/05/14 01:50 PM
silverback Offline
"Do Not Feed"

Likes Given: 325
Your a gentleman

The Voices Made Me Do It
24/05/14 01:51 PM
Squonkaholic Offline
Mighty Boxfinder General

Likes Given: 602
(24/05/14 01:36 PM)silverback Wrote:  Whats the diam with the slim tank 17mm ??, i want it at 17mm to fit my Nemi, Stu

Its tiny, 15mm
24/05/14 01:53 PM
prof beard Offline
Global Moderator
Global Moderators

Likes Given: 1,192
You can see the slim tank here on my Simplicity 14500:

I won't slave for beggar's pay,
likewise gold and jewels,
but I would slave to learn the way
to sink your ship of fools

24/05/14 01:57 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)