Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3.67 Average
Homemade Bottom feeder
Vapant Offline
Mod Makers and Sellers

Likes Given: 2,138
Sex: Male
Homemade Bottom feeder
I've not seen a tutorial for any kind of bottom feeder so I thought I'd try and share my Bodge job of a mod.
I'm sorry if this is all a bit garbled (it makes sense in my head)Huh

Here's a list of the bits and bobs I used (links at the bottom)-
ABS Project Box with Removable End 90 x 50 x 32 mm
Empty Needle Cap Bottles 10ml
16 gauge blunt needles X2 (with the plastic pulled off)
Rotax TKM Cadet 8mm Countersunk Washers
3A Horn Style Switch
510 battery connector (open centre pin)
18 awg silicone wire (150mm black 70mm red)
1.5mm ID X 3mm OD silicone tubing (70mm)
Epoxy putty
18650 battery holder (plus 18650 protected battery).

I cut down one of the 16g blunt needles to about 30-35mm and filed the ends smooth, pulled out the smaller fitted needle in the bottle's cap and drilled the hole wider to fit my 16g needle through. You could glue this in with epoxy but I had a tight fit so didn't bother.

I cut a length of silicone tubing long enough to reach the bottom of the feed bottle from the needle in the cap (once screwed on) and cut a v out of the end to prevent it from making a seal with the corner of the bottle, and a shorter piece to connect the two needles when the bottle is in place.

16g blunt needle fits nicely through the 510 connector

I slightly splayed out the top of the other needle to stop it just falling through the 510 connector by wiggling around a smaller drill bit or needle file in the end of the blunt needle until I felt a slight ridge, I then used a tiny bit of super glue around the needle and pushed it down flush with the top of the centre pin. After the glue had dried I cut the side of the connector a bit to allow easier soldering and cut the needle to about flush with the bottom of the connector making sure there were no sharp edges that may damage the silicone tubing. I then drilled the countersunk washer to 9mm to fit the connector and glued that in place with superglue (very sparingly)

I cut the battery connector in half and replaced the thin wires that were pre fitted with some flexiable 18awg silicone wires. Taking care not to over heat the plastic as it is very easy to melt.

The box as it comes, with two similar halves and two identical end parts.

I had to cut down the fixing posts to fit my components and I also had to fill in the holes left where the posts were.
Before and after pics (lid)

I worked out where my button hole needed to be by holding the nut as close to the cut down battery holder as possible and marking the centre, then taking a 1mm drill bit and aiming for the bottom of the rectangular recess on the face of the box. I then drilled the hole for the button from the outside using a 1/2" countersink as my cordless drill won't take anything bigger than 10mm.
I made the squeeze/squonk hole by marking the centre of the feed bottle whilst holding it in place next to the battery holder and then drilling again with the countersink and carefully widening it with a cone shape of wet n dry until I could fit my finger through the hole. Once the filler was set I smoothed off the outside of the box, again with wet n dry.
Before and after pics (base)

I marked the centre of the blunt needle of the feed bottle onto the top cap and after checking for alignment I drilled it carefully to 9mm and glued the assembled countersunk washer and 510 connector in place, putting some glue on the inside of the box for strength. I fitted the switch and glued in the battery holder, soldered everything up making sure not to obstruct the feed needle.
Please excuse my tatty soldering and also ignore the red feed tube as I used a bit of the silicone insulation from the wire just for the picConfused and the extra wires that go to an LED behind the bottle.
If you have any questions/ sugestions please post.

Some links but there will probably be better places to buy from.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281009294056?s...1439.l2649
http://www.vapeescape.co.uk/empty-needle...%2A%2A~325
http://www.liberty-flights.co.uk/product.asp?id=26
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181003033770?s...1436.l2649
http://www.liberty-flights.co.uk/product.asp?id=178
http://www.liberty-flights.co.uk/product.asp?id=36
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R...icone+wire
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLEAR-Silicone...3ccb82dc58
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plastic-Batter...4ab6e8f8a6

To use, I suck and squeeze at the same time until I feel a gurgle in the atty and then it's good to go, or alternatively you can squeeze until you see some juice in the countersunk washer and then suck it up into the atty.
I've been using 3 of these exclusively for a couple of months and I think they are a handy size and comfortable in the hand, (although I've never tried any other bottom feeder to compare it to) I get about 3 days out of it before needing to refill but about 2 days before swapping batteries.
(This post was last modified: 02/11/12 11:23 PM by Vapant. )
02/11/12 11:08 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 16 users Like Vapant's post:
are di (14/11/12), Bryan123456 (03/11/12), Escapedfromdeath (17/01/13), Ges (09/02/13), ghoti (02/11/12), I Shall Not Recant (03/11/12), Jim532 (03/11/12), johnners (20/05/13), johnpencraig (03/03/13), kwakjay74 (03/11/12), Magneato (03/11/12), Seanksean (28/11/12), simate (17/01/13), stufish (03/11/12), todd (03/11/12), VVP (29/11/12)
ghoti Offline
Twizzled vaper
Mod Makers and Sellers

Likes Given: 980
RE: Homemade Bottom feeder
Nicely done - thanks for sharing....

I vape like I used to smoke - I prefer to roll my own Big Grin
Co-creator of Vape Punk mod
Claim to fame: I survived the Decadent Vapours Mask o' Menthol Loco on the 2/2/13 Smiling
02/11/12 11:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
Vapant Offline
Mod Makers and Sellers

(02/11/12 11:28 PM)ghoti Wrote:  Nicely done - thanks for sharing....
No problem Big Grin

DNA20D wood mod, Aga-T2, Stainless U-wick, 2Ω Kanthal ribbon coil, ChocoHaze @8W.
(This post was last modified: 17/01/13 02:30 AM by Vapant. )
02/11/12 11:34 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vapant's post:
ghoti (02/11/12)
Bryan123456 Offline

Likes Given: 553
Sex:
That is one really neat and tidy job.

Here's my work bottom feeder 'Bodgefest'

its a VV twin 14500 and horribly executed - but works very well.

Have you seen the Old Goat bottom feeder? I think Ron (its maker) might have some competition in your device.

I have another couple I am in the middle of making at the moment - which will be tidier than MKI. The tube into the bottle, which you have, I also find essential and have modded my Boge Revolution with the same - there is no need now to tilt before squonching and its propensity to leak juice everywhere is vastly diminished. So will you be producing more? It looks a really well done piece of kit.
(This post was last modified: 03/11/12 03:56 AM by Bryan123456. )
03/11/12 03:53 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bryan123456's post:
I Shall Not Recant (03/11/12)
Vapant Offline
Mod Makers and Sellers

(03/11/12 03:53 AM)Bryan123456 Wrote:  That is one really neat and tidy job.

Here's my work bottom feeder 'Bodgefest'

[img]
[img]

its a VV twin 14500 and horribly executed - but works very well.

Have you seen the Old Goat bottom feeder? I think Ron (its maker) might have some competition in your device.

I have another couple I am in the middle of making at the moment - which will be tidier than MKI. The tube into the bottle, which you have, I also find essential and have modded my Boge Revolution with the same - there is no need now to tilt before squonching and its propensity to leak juice everywhere is vastly diminished. So will you be producing more? It looks a really well done piece of kit.

Thanks Bryan123456, very kind words, I only see the flaws in it myself Big Grin chunks gouged out of the top cap, awful soldering, rough dremel work inside the box and no on/off switch but this is only my second mod design (I made a nose hair trimmer from Garry's Tin your tip) used it twice and got my bits back.

I am not on PotV so I couldn't see your pics, could you transfer them to photobucket or similar? I'm quite interested in seeing them.

Just done a Google search and I like the look of the Old goat 3.7v bottom feeder and yes it is quite similar and a third of the size Smiling Great price too.

I'm in the process of making some American black wallnut ones at the moment but plucking up the courage to do the routing.

Why do people make bottom feeders without a bottle feed tube? How do you feed the atty? upside down and squeeze until you guess it's about right or is there a method to it? I'm a bit clueless about other Bottom feeders.

I have the bits for a VV mod but my Twist is just gathering dust as I'm happy with just using Battery dependent voltage (4.17v-3.6v) so it seems a little pointless at the mo. I also have some induction charging pads and a mat that I'm thinking of using sometime, too many ideas and not enough time Big Grin
03/11/12 01:27 PM
Ges (09/02/13)
Bryan123456 Offline

Sex:
I use my bottom feeders a lot. For flavour they are very hard to beat. The Old Goat is very pocketable more so than an Ego and good for a day or night out with a 900mah battery.

I have a Phidias and a Sweet Vapes and Bodgefest along with the Boge Revolution - the latter has been put away for a DIY mod project. The ones with tubes fitted are easier to squonch and less prone to leak if put on their sides. You are supposed to invert and squeeze the tubeless ones - it's a faff. I use silicone tube and cut at an angle to achieve the same effect as your 'v'. It costs (resin needle and tube) less than 20p to modify a bottle this way - I find it nuts they don't all come with this fitting.

My Phideas is a straight 3.9v 18650 job - the wood squonch button on its bamboo spring shaft is a nice touch. The Sweet Vapes is a twin 14500 vv with a squonching hole. Both rather beautiful with inlaid contrasting woods. The Sweet Vapes is too big to be pocketable and too pretty to take out. It also needs a screwdriver to adjust the recessed VV pot screw.

There is a 'thing' for producing these in wood - I look forwards to seeing your American Walnut versions.
03/11/12 03:49 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Bryan123456's post:
Ges (09/02/13), Vapant (03/11/12)
Vapant Offline
Mod Makers and Sellers

(03/11/12 03:49 PM)Bryan123456 Wrote:  There is a 'thing' for producing these in wood - I look forwards to seeing your American Walnut versions.

This is the plan, although it may change completely depending on how much I struggle with my router, also I may put the thicker brass plate on the top rather than on the bottom as in the pic and do away with the aluminium countersunk washer (shame I can't find solid brass ones) and countersink the actual brass cap into a dripcup. I've ordered some gold anti vandal switches from China, I have the hotsprings waiting but not sure about the positive terminal yet. The circles below the recess for the feed bottle are for storing spare 306s.

DNA20D wood mod, Aga-T2, Stainless U-wick, 2Ω Kanthal ribbon coil, ChocoHaze @8W.
(This post was last modified: 03/11/12 04:29 PM by Vapant. )
03/11/12 04:23 PM
Bryan123456 (03/11/12)
Bryan123456 Offline

Sex:
Electrical factors tend to sell brass washers - is this any use?

http://www.cef.co.uk/catalogue/products/...ss+washers
03/11/12 04:56 PM
Magneato Offline

Likes Given: 329
Good job Vapant Smiling
03/11/12 05:13 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Magneato's post:
Vapant (03/11/12)
I Shall Not Recant Offline

Likes Given: 669
Great work work Vapant and a great post.

03/11/12 05:36 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like I Shall Not Recant's post:
Bryan123456 (03/11/12), Vapant (03/11/12)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)