Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How many coil wraps for a genesis?
ronson49 Offline

Likes Given: 8
Sex:
Sorry if this is not enough information... let me know.

I just burned 7 meshes, and 17 wires as a newbie with a Diablo Hybris Genesis. I think I can build coils within an hour now Tongue

Can I just ask, what is the difference between say 1 wrap or 10 wraps? To me toking the device what does it mean?

With 3 coils, I feel the vapor kind of burns my throat, not finding it pleasant. Does the amount of coil wraps change the temp of the vapor?

I googled!

Thanks, R!
24/07/13 09:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
Sylvie Offline

Likes Given: 1,092
Sex: Female
RE: How many coil wraps for a genesis?
With the same wire and wick 1 wrap will be about 10 times as hot as 10 wraps. 10 centimetres of wire will have 10 times the resistance of 1cm (yes 1 know you are never going to use 10 centimetres of wire in a coil, but just to keep the numbers easy). So less coils makes it hotter, more coils makes it cooler.
24/07/13 09:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 2 users Like Sylvie's post:
ronson49 (24/07/13), Yagone (24/07/13)
Hybrid3y3 Offline

Likes Given: 5
Sex: Undisclosed
It depends on the thickness of your wire, the thinner the wire the higher the resistance. So, for example on my arrow or temon if I do 3 wraps with .2mm kanthal I get a 1.6 ohm coil. For a mechanical mod this should give a reasonable vape at 3.7 to 3.9 volts, can be a little harsh at 4.1 volts on a fresh battery.

Anyways, you have a hybrid, so a mechanical, what's the thickness of your wire? If it's .2 try 3 wrapsvand see how you get on.

Are you properly oxidizing the mesh wick before you wrap the coil?
24/07/13 09:33 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hybrid3y3's post:
ronson49 (24/07/13)
RALaJoie Offline

Likes Given: 6
Sex: Male
I'm a fan of the 3/4 wrap with 32 guage kanthal, it seems to work pretty well every time
24/07/13 09:52 PM
alauda Offline

Likes Given: 45
Could some one please explain, what 3/4 actually means...I know I sound stupid. Is it three complete wraps plus the half turn for the negative and the half turn for the positive?

Just looked at my Diablo and that is what I did with 0.20 and it works a treat...
(This post was last modified: 24/07/13 09:56 PM by alauda. )
24/07/13 09:55 PM
Sylvie Offline

3/4 wraps has 3 on the side nearest the post and 4 on the side away from it when both connections are on the same side of the wick.
24/07/13 09:57 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sylvie's post:
RALaJoie (25/07/13)
ronson49 Offline

Likes Given: 8
Sex:

Thanks folks!

Nimbus threw in some wire with a purchase I made, so I am unsure what the wire is in terms of resistance but I think I know what this means.... The greater the resistance, the more the coil heats up??

I was burning the coils with a blowtorch and putting juice on it and burning it and so on. It was far too much effort so I stopped doing that. Tonight I found G(l)ixxer's 1st Jan video where he does not do any of this but just taps the switch on and off until the mesh is oxidized under the coil. Since doing this method, I have found it much better

I just went crazy and did 6-7 coils and finding it just a little too weak in terms of lung sensation although VG juice with 500 mesh is giving me decent vapour production. I might try 5 next!

While I am here, just one more question. VG is thicker right? So does that mean that 500 mesh is not ideal? Should I use a lower mesh count or does this not matter?

Thanks for your knowledge everyone!
24/07/13 10:20 PM
Sylvie Offline

More resistance = less heat.

Power = voltage x voltage / resistance

So a higher resistance makes less power.

Yes, thicker liquids wick better with a lower mesh count, I think. But I find that thinning VG liquids to the same consistency as PG lets me use VG liquids in a setup optimized for PG liquids.
24/07/13 10:38 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sylvie's post:
ronson49 (24/07/13)
grindle Offline
Funkless Pants

Likes Given: 156
(24/07/13 10:20 PM)ronson49 Wrote:  VG is thicker right? So does that mean that 500 mesh is not ideal? Should I use a lower mesh count or does this not matter?

500 lifts everything better, PG or VG. Tilters get on fine with the lower mesh sizes but I prefer to keep that stuff for drippers,

24/07/13 10:40 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes grindle's post:
ronson49 (24/07/13)
alauda Offline

Likes Given: 45
(24/07/13 09:57 PM)Sylvie Wrote:  3/4 wraps has 3 on the side nearest the post and 4 on the side away from it when both connections are on the same side of the wick.

At last I understand, thanks
25/07/13 06:03 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)