Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Kayfun Lite - O-Ring Swelling
Brighty Offline

Likes Given: 7
Sex:
Kayfun Lite - O-Ring Swelling
Hi guys.

Have some issues/questions regarding the o-rings in my kayfun lite.

Problem I’m having is that the scorpion blood in the tank is causing the small chimney o-ring to swell, presumably because there is so much of it’s surface in contact with the juice. It’s swollen so much that in under a week, it was so big it popped itself out of place, letting air into the tank and then all the juice leaks out of the air hole. This has happened twice now, first time last Sat I caught it in time when it just started to leak, so emptied, dismantled, spotted loose o-ring (it was massive compared to the spare, almost double the size and no way it was going back in the top cap hole)and rebuilt with the spare, this morning however, I woke to find it had leaked a full tank of juice all over my vamo and kitchen vape cupboard.

This very expensive thing really isn’t looking like the leakproof, scorpion blood safe out and about tank I hoped/expected it to be and I’m close to getting rid of the bloody thing and getting a pyrex carto tank instead. I need something leak proof and hassle/worry free that is safe with citrus & anise juices as thats all I vape.

I will try to persevere and change o-rings every 5 days or so and see how I get on. I understand swollen o-rings can be sorted by soaking in warm water overnight then leaving to dry for a day or so, is that true? Even so, I need to get some more o-rings.

So does anyone know the size I need? Can’t measure mine as they’re both literally double the size they should be, lol

Also, is there a specific o-ring material that is best/needed, or any to avoid that are not safe or swell more?

As an aside, does anyone know what material the supplied o-rings are? As this chimney o-ring has so much of it’s surface exposed to juice, Is there any danger that they could leach anything nasty into the juice?

Cheers

Brighty
19/07/13 07:54 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brighty's post:
johnners (14/08/13)
Juice head Online
Constantly dripping !

Likes Given: 578
Sex: Male
RE: Kayfun Lite - O-Ring Swelling
Brighty, had the same problem with this O ring.

Can't say mine was swollen though, it just kept coming out of it's seat.

The old Kayfun Lite can certainly piss out the juice when it wants toFacepalm

Does it happen with other juices?

19/07/13 08:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
Smarty90 Offline

Likes Given: 974
This happened to my 3.1 with SB. It looks like the juice is the problem here, it's volatile stuff! I might try snake oil and wean myself onto that.

4nine/Origen/0.8ohm cotton - T-juice's 'Red Astaire'
Ego/Micro D/2.0ohm silica - Grizwald's 'Black Cat'
19/07/13 09:04 AM
Brighty Offline

Sex:

Not tried any other juice in it to be honest, only had it since Monday last week and it''s only had SB in it. When i run out of SB my pluid will go in and after that diy citrus, anise or a mix.
Just ben on a cras course in o-ring materials and found a good webite that lists all o-ring materials and there resistance to loads of chemicals including PG, citric acid and malic acid (isn't it the malic acid in these juics tat kills polycarb tanks?)
http://www.polymax.co.uk/chem-compatibility/
Could do with knowing what the supplied o-rings are, i assume standard nitrile NBR, but looking on that site kalrez(FFKM) are what's needed, but god knows where i could get them in very small volumes and what cost they would be. Nitrile, viton and epdm are all readilly available but are all a no with malic acid.

Brighty

Edit: looking again, silicone looks a good shout,ok with PG, citic and malic acids, hmmmm, may investigate.
19/07/13 09:04 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brighty's post:
johnners (14/08/13)
Smarty90 Offline

Please let me know how you get on I'd be after a few.

19/07/13 09:10 AM
Brighty Offline

Sex:

(19/07/13 09:10 AM)Smarty90 Wrote:  Please let me know how you get on I'd be after a few.

Will do, could end up as a group buy, lol.

Really need to know the size of these puppys before i investigate further. Anyone?

Brighty
19/07/13 09:20 AM
Smarty90 Offline

(19/07/13 09:20 AM)Brighty Wrote:  
(19/07/13 09:10 AM)Smarty90 Wrote:  Please let me know how you get on I'd be after a few.

Will do, could end up as a group buy, lol.

Really need to know the size of these puppys before i investigate further. Anyone?

Brighty

Haven't a clue! Wouldn't wanna speculate either cos I know it'd be wrong!

19/07/13 10:51 AM
anthropolyte Offline
He of the beautiful hands

Likes Given: 215
Sex: Undisclosed
Might be worth sending Todd a PM - he has some pretty good calipers. Unfortunately I don't have mine with me Sad

If we are looking into doing a group buy, I'd be interested - also would it maybe be worth looking into hydrogenated nitrile o-rings (HNBR), as it's a lot more durable than standard nitrile.
(This post was last modified: 19/07/13 10:55 AM by anthropolyte. )
19/07/13 10:52 AM
ASH1973 Offline

Likes Given: 566
Same here with DV Absinthe
19/07/13 11:36 AM
Brighty Offline

Sex:

(19/07/13 10:52 AM)anthropolyte Wrote:  Might be worth sending Todd a PM - he has some pretty good calipers. Unfortunately I don't have mine with me Sad

If we are looking into doing a group buy, I'd be interested - also would it maybe be worth looking into hydrogenated nitrile o-rings (HNBR), as it's a lot more durable than standard nitrile.

Tried Todd, he has calipers but doesn't own a kayfun anymore, nyet kayfunskiWink
19/07/13 12:31 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)