Important: Your continued use of this forum indicates acceptance of the forum rules. Please make sure you have read and understand these rules.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
MCR-303 coil size?
Dill Offline

Likes Given: 1
Sex:
MCR-303 coil size?
Hello All

This is my first post on the forum so please forgive any seemly daft questions. I've recently entered the world of 20mm mech mods. I bought my first mech last spring, a cheap Wismec Skyladon, to test the water as it were and I soon started understanding the benefits of mechs. Even though the skyladon has done me proud for the £15 I paid for it, the button soon deteriorates and miss-fires regularly after time. So just before Christmas I treated my self to a new mod and the slick 20mm size and craftsmanship of the MCR 101 SL caught my eye. I like small stealthy mods and MTL vaping without the clouds so this little thing is perfect for me and I'm loving it. There will be more questions about 20mm rdas to come as I've also soon realised no one is making rdas that size anymore, looks like I'm about 2 years late on the scene but I want to start with a quick question for you all about something else.

To cut a long story short, while I was deciding which mod to buy (and I thank you all for your help and guidance while I was reading the forum before I became a member) I saw the 303 on the MCR site. I'd heard about genesis atomisers and it was a no brainer to try out the matching 303 for the £30 price they're going for to complete a full MCR setup. Again, I'm loving it, the size, the quality and the looks but obviously having varied results with my coils and wicks as it's my first genny.

I'm experimenting with SS mesh wicks for the first time too and a couple of times I've got it working a treat and created the best flavour I've tasted with flowing wicking but it would be good to know what other 303 users are doing?

All that waffle for the simple question of what size coils and wicks are you guys building for your 303?

1.5mm
2mm
2.5mm

But it is my introductory post so Happy New year and good to meet you all.
03/01/17 02:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
timmmah Offline

Likes Given: 35
Sex: Undisclosed
RE: MCR-303 coil size?
Welcome and happy new year!

The 303 is a good genny, especially for the price. As the deck is closed other than the wick hole you'll need to leave some opening to avoid air locks. So I use a hollow wick and make sure there is space between the wick hole and wick.

I used 5 wraps of 0.28mm kanthal around a 2mm drill bit for my coil. My wick was an upper outer wrap of #325 about 12mm wide with a #200 super fine hollow straw inside running further down into the tank. Never had any wicking issues.

If you like 20mm gennys then I can't recommend the hellfire micro mega enough. If you are looking for 20mm rda's then hellfire again have you covered. There's quite a few to choose from but all of them are excellent.
03/01/17 05:55 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
Dill Offline

Sex:

That's good to hear, looks like I'm going in the right direction. I watched quite a few techniques on you tube, added some trial and errors and ended up with my best effort being a 2.5mm wick so it's just slightly held by the wick hole but like you said I have an shorter hollow outer wick and a hollow inner wick to keep the air moving. Maybe it doesn't wick as well as yours (I'll try it) but it doesn't leak at all!

The main reason for the set up is I've only got 0.32mm wire and thicker and some unknown grade mesh I cleaned the local shops old stocks out for until an order gets here. So it's working but with room for improvement I think, I have all the sizes you mentioned on order so I'll experiment more when it gets here. I should also mention I carbonise the hell out the outer wick to avoid any shorting problems but would you say stick to a 2mm wick?

I do have problems trying to get a +1 ohm coil in that little chamber with 0.32 wire so I'll be changing that for sure.
(This post was last modified: 03/01/17 06:32 PM by Dill.)
03/01/17 06:29 PM
Dill Offline

Sex:

On the hellfire front, yeah they look great, right up my street, but where the hell do you get one of there rdas from? That's what I mean when I say looks like I'm about 2 years too late on the 20mm tip.
03/01/17 06:36 PM
timmmah Offline

Likes Given: 35
Sex: Undisclosed
If the 2.5mm is working well for you then stick with it. If you intend to use very high vg juices then I'd suggest a setup with a gap around the outside of the wick but if it's high pg I think neither build would struggle.

I picked up drill bits from 1.8mm to 2.6mm in 0.1mm increments, only a couple of quid off eBay and really helpful when fiddling with gennys.

For hellfire stuff you can use the wanted section of the classifieds here or join the hellfire group on fb which has a classifieds group as well. I don't think you'll have a problem picking up a 20mm rda. As you like small mechs you may like the hellfire hybrids, great bits of kit.

This sort of gear is much less sought after than it used to be, the fb groups and classifieds have been a treasure trove the last couple of years.
(This post was last modified: 03/01/17 08:00 PM by timmmah.)
03/01/17 07:59 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes timmmah's post:
Dill (03/01/17)
Dill Offline

Sex:

I'm getting 70/30 VG heavy through my set up so far but it struggles at 80. I do like thick juices so I'll try the gap when I get some wire that doesn't require 9 wraps on a 2 mm wick to reach an ohm. I'm finding sub ohming just doesn't suit the set up either (or me these days). And thanks for the info on hellfire, very useful.

On the tool front, my good lady bought me a coil master kit last year, invaluable and the 2.5 jig matches the precise machining of the hole by MCR perfectly. It's probably the only reason I was able to work within the tolerances with 28 gauge wire.
(This post was last modified: 03/01/17 08:21 PM by Dill.)
03/01/17 08:17 PM
Dill Offline

Sex:

(03/01/17 07:59 PM)timmmah Wrote:  For hellfire stuff you can use the wanted section of the classifieds here or join the hellfire group on fb which has a classifieds group as well. I don't think you'll have a problem picking up a 20mm rda. As you like small mechs you may like the hellfire hybrids, great bits of kit.

This sort of gear is much less sought after than it used to be, the fb groups and classifieds have been a treasure trove the last couple of years.

Thanks timmmah, put in a request to join the group last night, got accepted this morning, had a look at lunch and found a 20mm UFO at the top of page - perfect, should be here by the end of the week. More mesh experiments to come. Thanks again for the help, a great welcome to the forum. Chat again sometime, until then, happy new year.
04/01/17 08:17 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Dill's post:
timmmah (04/01/17)

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)