Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mechanical Mods, please explain
Neofolis Offline
Dude

Likes Given: 27
Sex: Male
Mechanical Mods, please explain
OK, I get that they are mechanical, no electrics to go wrong. i get that, in some cases, build quality is of a very high standard and some may be considered aesthetically pleasing, but I still feel like I'm missing something. I love quality products, but how many people have had a Provari go wrong and surely it offers greater functionality. I appreciate that we can make/buy coils/products that vape perfectly at 3.7V or 6V, whatever, but that's not what you get from a mechanical mod, at least not all the time for the full discharge cycle of the battery/batteries.

So what is it? I really feel like I should have greater appreciation for mechanical mods than I currently do.

Mods: Provari V2, Gus G22, Caravela 518/518*
Attys: AC-9, Cobra, Kayfun 3.1, Killer 705, Versa Dripper
Hybrids: Diablo 044, Diablo 113
On Order: MCR-101 Mod, Origen Dripper
01/01/13 04:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neofolis's post:
Kenneth (01/01/13)
vapalot Offline

Likes Given: 113
RE: Mechanical Mods, please explain

Both of these are using 18350 batteries but one of them will last longer than the other, and it isn't the provari.

I use genesis type attys and the ease of use of the bottom button is a plus for me because I like to keep the air hole and wick facing down for better wicking, it does not matter which way the Paps is because it is the same no matter how you hold it, not the case for the provari.

I can strip down and wash the Paps in the sink, or buy parts if a part should fail, and fix it myself.

The Paps looks better (to me at least)

The Paps has an adjustable pin so my mods will fit flush on it, no gaps, less chance of breaking something if it drops.

The Paps was £65, the provari mini was about £160.

Perseas is here on the forum, I can PM him if I have any issues with the Paps and he will sort me out.

I could sell the Paps in about 5 minutes for the same price I bought it for.

I know I am just comparing one mechanical mod here, but the same goes for the other I own too.

I love the provari and wouldn't part with it, it is great for checking my coils and I like the short protection and battery low indicator. It is a great device, but I prefer the Paps personally.
(This post was last modified: 01/01/13 04:33 AM by vapalot. )
01/01/13 04:32 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 9 users Like vapalot's post:
Chasey (01/01/13), ghoti (01/01/13), Manic_Medic (01/01/13), Neofolis (01/01/13), pedromole (01/01/13), Pinkerton (01/01/13), rockchef (01/01/13), Silversurfer (01/01/13), Sylvie (01/01/13)
Neofolis Offline
Dude

Yes, I forgot to mention the size difference, I know this is a big deal for a lot of people.

I remember when Phil Busardo reviewed the Z-Atty Pro one of his thumbs down was the fact that you have to vape with the wick facing down, which may put the Provari button in an uncomfortable place. I actually think this is an advantage, mainly because I can use the Provari or other side button mods with the button in any orientation and not find it uncomfortable, but because I know where the button has to face for my Cobra to be wick down, I don't have to look at the Cobra to check it is wick down, I just vape with the button where I know it needs to be. I guess I can accept that some people want to use bottom buttons or want the button in a certain orientation though.

Some of your points are particular to some mechanical mods, not all, but I appreciate the feedback.

01/01/13 05:00 AM
Monoxxide Away
mesh mesh mesh

Likes Given: 510
Sex: Undisclosed
Also, the provari is to limited to run low ohm coils. Once i feel my battery goes under 3.7 in a mech mod i change them. Provari wont give you that high wattage due to his amp limit.

01/01/13 09:42 AM
prof beard Offline
Global Moderator
Global Moderators

Likes Given: 696
For me, it's about durability and build quality. My main devices are all mechanical (I probably use my Super T stuff the most). I've had vv devices and own two Kicks (vw) but in all honesty I find that a low resistance atty/whatever with a decent 3.7 battery gives the vaping experience I like, so I hardly ever use "variable" (I have the Kick set to give me mt usual experience and more or less never adjust it/them). Long term a mechanical device should always outlast anything with electronics in it. I also agree about size and form factor (I still use my Screwdrivers because I like the shape, and although they are not as indestructible as a Precise, they will take major abuse)

I won't slave for beggar's pay,
likewise gold and jewels,
but I would slave to learn the way
to sink your ship of fools

01/01/13 10:02 AM
Loud Offline
Thread Killer

Likes Given: 211
Down to simplicity for me. I just grab my Omega and go. I don't have to think about what setting it's at or if a light is flashing or anything. All I do is put juice in my tank, slip a fresh 18650 in there and I'm off.

There is, for me at least, an attraction there simply due to the lo-tec of it all, the purist vaping element I guess. I do have a vv device but very rarely use it.

"The thing about Manchester is...Loud comes from here" Mr N. Gallagher
(This post was last modified: 01/01/13 11:08 AM by Loud. )
01/01/13 11:06 AM
Toby | iVapour Offline
eGoer
Vendors

Likes Given: 1,300
(01/01/13 11:06 AM)Loud Wrote:  Down to simplicity for me. I just grab my Omega and go. I don't have to think about what setting it's at or if a light is flashing or anything. All I do is put juice in my tank, slip a fresh 18650 in there and I'm off.

I'm glad that you (and presumably others) manage to use the Omega with a tank...

I thought/ wondered if the Omega was kinda made a bit redundant these days, as it looks a little difficult to use with a tank... (?)

But from your post, I gather that it is not difficult for some...

iVapour.co.uk - Janty UK Supplier; the original eGo.
iVapour-elixir.co.uk - Silver Bullet, mods, and spares.
The EU TPD is not a victimless crime...
01/01/13 11:36 AM
Loud Offline
Thread Killer

Likes Given: 211
(01/01/13 11:36 AM)Toby | iVapour Wrote:  
(01/01/13 11:06 AM)Loud Wrote:  Down to simplicity for me. I just grab my Omega and go. I don't have to think about what setting it's at or if a light is flashing or anything. All I do is put juice in my tank, slip a fresh 18650 in there and I'm off.

I'm glad that you (and presumably others) manage to use the Omega with a tank...

I thought/ wondered if the Omega was kinda made a bit redundant these days, as it looks a little difficult to use with a tank... (?)

But from your post, I gather that it is not difficult for some...

It doesn't like bigger tanks because of the top firing button leaving little room around the tank base to get your finger & thumb, it is workable that way but better with smaller tanks like a mini Nova. In fact that's all I use on it now a mini Nova or an XL carto.

"The thing about Manchester is...Loud comes from here" Mr N. Gallagher
01/01/13 11:59 AM
Neofolis Offline
Dude

Thanks guys, I guess I will have to get one and use it to learn to really appreciate what I am missing.

01/01/13 08:25 PM
MarlowMan Offline

Likes Given: 301
I understand the qualities of mech mods. I like my mech mods. I also love there simplicity. But there is one slight problem. The battery voltage is not regulated. And in practical terms, this means that as the atty ages, there is nowhere to go with a mech mod. But with a variable mod, there is. Upwards. An example of this is a vivi nova on a vamo. My VN starts the week on about 6 watts and ends the week on 8 - 9 watts. If I was running the VN on a mech mod, I would be recoiling it a lot more often. Just my tuppence.

I still like the PAPs though. Great little mod.

MM

Mods: Provari Mini, Megalodon (The Don), Vamo X4, Sig 19b
Attys: 3ML Cobra X 2, VH-Genesis, IGO - L, AGA T+, GP spheroid V2, Kayfun 3.1, Russian 91%, Evods 4 out and abaat.

01/01/13 08:47 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)