Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Mechanical mods?
Chopper Offline

Likes Given: 7
Sex:
Mechanical mods?
So what exactly is a "mechanical" mod? As opposed to a mod that is not mechanical. Are VAMOs and Provari's mechanical mods, or do they tend to be hand-made?

Generally, are the quality of mechanical mods such that variable wattage/voltage are completely unnecessary? I've seen some beautiful mods around, but how can you be sure of the vape quality before shelling out £100+?
05/03/13 09:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
ghoti Offline
Twizzled vaper
Mod Makers and Sellers

Likes Given: 981
Sex: Male
RE: Mechanical mods?
This has been answered many times, but essentially a mechanical mod is just a battery holder with a switch.

These are valued as they give the full battery voltage to the atty, with high currents needed by gennies.

Provari/vamo are all regulated mods that give a controlled voltage/amperage.

Mechanical mods do tend to be handmade, although there are commercial ones too - the cost is often in the materials used.

I vape like I used to smoke - I prefer to roll my own Big Grin
Co-creator of Vape Punk mod
Claim to fame: I survived the Decadent Vapours Mask o' Menthol Loco on the 2/2/13 Smiling
05/03/13 09:33 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
AndyMan Online
Eden Mods Designer
Mod Vendors

Likes Given: 883
mechanical is just that, no electronics, the vamo and provari have PCBs inside. A mech mod is in its simplest terms, a holder for the battery with a switch on it, also mechanical

Pipped by Ghoti

Snapdragon Prototyping
05/03/13 09:34 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
Chopper Offline

Sex:

That's what I thought. Sorry for the stupid question. I just don't understand how you can assure a quality vape if it doesn't have the ability to alter the power. How is a mod better?
05/03/13 09:39 PM
Cheekiecharlie Offline
Forum Moderators

Likes Given: 2,416
(05/03/13 09:39 PM)Chopper Wrote:  That's what I thought. Sorry for the stupid question. I just don't understand how you can assure a quality vape if it doesn't have the ability to alter the power. How is a mod better?

You set the coil up to suit the mod and you learn what ohm to build your coil for a certain juice

Vaping is a passion not just a hobby Lecture

Still a mixologist extraordinare at heart
05/03/13 09:41 PM
ghoti Offline
Twizzled vaper
Mod Makers and Sellers

Likes Given: 981
(05/03/13 09:39 PM)Chopper Wrote:  That's what I thought. Sorry for the stupid question. I just don't understand how you can assure a quality vape if it doesn't have the ability to alter the power. How is a mod better?

The amp limit is dependant on the battery (ie AW IMR = ~10A)

Less to go wrong in a mechanical - as long as you clean the contacts.

Electrical/Mechanical are both good for different things..... if you want to vape a .5ohm triple coiled genesis - use a mechanical.

If you want to vape a 2.7ohm silica - you might be better on an electrical....

I preferred regulated batteries until I had started on gennies..... now I switch around... but vaping on a straight battery took a bit of learning Wink

I vape like I used to smoke - I prefer to roll my own Big Grin
Co-creator of Vape Punk mod
Claim to fame: I survived the Decadent Vapours Mask o' Menthol Loco on the 2/2/13 Smiling
05/03/13 09:44 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes ghoti's post:
Sylvie (05/03/13)
Chopper Offline

Sex:

(05/03/13 09:41 PM)Cheekiecharlie Wrote:  

You set the coil up to suit the mod and you learn what ohm to build your coil for a certain juice

Ugh. You lost me. So it's like the opposite to what I'm doing now? ie, adjusting the voltage to suit the clearo. Instead I should adjust the coil to suit the juice?

ghoti - Just trying to get my head round that. Could you explain your two examples to me? I mean, I know a triple (!) coil would require more power, but otherwise...
(This post was last modified: 05/03/13 09:50 PM by Chopper. )
05/03/13 09:45 PM
Liam Offline
Pro-Level Vaper

Likes Given: 31
Exactly that, plus you can run a lower ohm coil on a Mechanical as opposed to a Variable Voltage PV as they don't get complain when you put a coil on that's less than 1.2 ohms. The Gripper that I've just sold wouldn't work if the coil was too low.

Regards

Liam

What we've got here is failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach. So you get what we had here last week, which is the way he wants it. Well, he gets it. I don't like it any more than you men.
05/03/13 09:51 PM
Chopper Offline

Sex:

And, generally speaking, lower resistance is better, right?

Oh my God I have so much still to learn...What?
05/03/13 09:53 PM
Cheekiecharlie Offline
Forum Moderators

Likes Given: 2,416
Yes, it maybe seem a little complicated , but once you get into mods and rebuildables , as said electronic mods have an ohm limit and won't work , mechanicals will

Every juice has a certain sweetspot , so if I liked my ry4 with a 1 ohm coil , it won't fire in an electronic mod , but runs no problem in the mechanical

Once you get into rebuilding , you will get to learn how different juices taste with different ohm coils that can't be bought commercially

Vaping is a passion not just a hobby Lecture

Still a mixologist extraordinare at heart
05/03/13 09:55 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)