Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
New Study: E-Cigarettes Carry No Risk of Heart Disease
inijames Offline
Vendors

Likes Given: 64
Sex: Undisclosed
A new study by Greek Scientist Dr Konstantinos Farsalinos finds that e-cigarettes carry no risk of heart disease. Read more here.

Main writer at The Ashtray Blog
25/08/12 08:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 3 users Like inijames's post:
FlamingKaty (25/08/12), Slipperee (25/08/12), stiggy (25/08/12)
stiggy Offline

Likes Given: 22
RE: New Study: E-Cigarettes Carry No Risk of Heart Disease
waaw very nice find! Smiling

Its time to kick ass and vape bubblegum

ggts, provari x2, Orion,Line v2, 2x spheroid, cobra, GP paps, chameleon, Roller.

25/08/12 11:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
CHBMB Offline

Likes Given: 1
Sex:
It's an interesting read and encouraging but critically appraising the article I think that it is too soon to draw any hard and fast conclusions. My main issue is that they compared one cigarette with seven minutes use of an e-cig but also stated that nicotine absorption was slower with an e-cig. Nicotine is a vasoconstrictor and will cause the coronary arteries to constrict, therefore if an equivalent amount of nicotine is absorbed and hence equivalent plasma level achieved from whatever delivery method it seems common sense that it will have a comparable effect on the body. And there has been suggestions that nicotine has effects on the vascular endothelium similar to atherosclerosis (the process leading to "furring up of the arteries and subsequent heart attacks, strokes and peripheral vascular disease)

Also it is only looking at the very immediate effects of use, not the intermediate or long term use, but then again that's not possible yet due to the relatively short time e-cigs had been around.

Don't get me wrong, I'm one enthusiastic vaper and my instinct tells me it is safer than smoking but we don't have any good clinical evidence that this is the case and it will be many years until we do so.

It is worth bearing in mind that when smoking was first discovered it was thought to be good for you! It was a long time before the opposite was discovered.

One of my main concerns is not heart disease but lung disease, we know smoking causes COPD and I do have some worries that all this PG and VG and flavourings may not be good for the pulmonary system, after all, other than certain drugs I can't think of anything that when inhaled at high concentrations is beneficial to the lungs, even oxygen in high concentrations becomes toxic.

Having said all that we each have made a conscious decision to stop smoking and take up vaping, we're adults and prefer to take an unquantifiable risk instead of a quantifiably high risk.

I know that some of my musings will be unpopular with some but I don't think we should try and kid ourselves that vaping is completely harmless, it may be safer, but only time will tell if it is and just how much safer it may be.

Sorry if it's a little incoherent and rambling but I've been up all night at work and I'm pretty knackered.
26/08/12 05:15 AM
atmoslab Offline
Life has a lof of Chemistry rules
Vendors

Likes Given: 8
Sex: Male
Very nice study from Dr.Farsalinos which evaluates that electronic cigarettes are much less harmful than normal cigarettes. If we add the other study that took place from FAME LAB earlier this year, regarding the acute effects of active and passive electronic cigarette smoking on lung function, we have strong evidence for the same theory: "Electronic cigarettes are much less harmful than normal cigarettes".
All studies are very recent and science needs time to get knowledge about the effects of electronic cigarettes after 10-20 years. But, so far, all studies are very clear when comparing normal towards electronic cigarettes.
It is very sad that politicians calculate only the direct taxes gained by tobacco products without adding the expenses of Health Sector for curing the effects of cancer produced by these tobacco products. We have to think beyond today and tomorrow. We have to think about the next generation of people one day.

26/08/12 06:26 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
CHBMB Offline

Likes Given: 1
Sex:
I think you're right in that it is acute, I don't think this is strong evidence though, the sample size is far too small. I also think there are other limitations in the study, echocardiograms are a dynamic investigation that look at a snapshot in time, and can change rapidly, if the absorption of nicotine from an e-cig is slower then in my mind the time to carry out the echo on the vaping group would be when their plasma level is the same as that of the smokers, that would be a better way of assessing left ventricular dysfunction at comparable levels of plasma nicotine with two different delivery systems. Also it is important to note that in no way does this study indicate that e-cigs carry no risk of heart disease, heart disease in the sense of ischaemic heart disease leading to angina and heart attacks caused by coronary artery disease cannot be assessed by echocardiogram but instead requires coronary angiography and is an investigation that would need to be done after, say, twenty years of vaping, not after seven minutes.

I'll have to read the pulmonary study but again I think the flaws will be similar, put bluntly it's not when you're sixteen and sneaking a crafty fag behind the bike sheds at school that smoking causes problems, it's many years later that the problems become apparent and until people have been vaping for that long and then appropriate studies have been done no definitive conclusions can be drawn.

Having said all that the one area I am almost certain there will be a big difference is that of incidence of lung cancers. As far as I'm aware it's not the nicotine that is carcinogenic but the multitude of other nasty chemicals in tobacco smoke that cause the problems so as long as vaping VG, PG and whatever flavours we happen to use aren't carcinogenic then we may well be home and dry on that front!

I am not in anyway anti-vaping, I love vaping and am very pleased to be smoking only a fraction of what I was a month ago (second time round for me and vaping) but I am trying to be objective about everything. As the adage goes "If something looks too good to be true it probably is"
26/08/12 06:58 AM
Paco Offline
Banned

Likes Given: 28
CHBMB, I am in agreement with your views. It is less harmful but it is not harm free.

The tests were conducted using 11mg of nicotine. What it does confirm , is what has been known all along and proven through years of studies. Reducing the intake of nicotine, decreases considerably the risk of heart disease.
26/08/12 01:22 PM
Matt Gluggles Offline
Vendors

Likes Given: 904
An improtant thing to remember is that Dr Konstantinos Farsalinos has made no claims whatsoever that e-cigs are 'healthy' the opposite in fact.

He is quoted as saying at the start of his press conference :

"I can say that electronic cigarettes are not a healthy habit, but they are a safer alternative to tobacco cigarettes, Humans are made to inhale clean air, so I think everything else you inhale is not healthy; I cannot say this is absolutely healthy. The electronic cigarette is a tobacco-harm-reduction product, marketed as an alternative to smoking; they are not marketed for the nonsmoker to start using this device."
26/08/12 01:45 PM
Paco Offline
Banned

Likes Given: 28
Here is the full explanation. From 19 min onwards.

(This post was last modified: 26/08/12 02:08 PM by Paco. )
26/08/12 02:03 PM
foutouristas Offline

Likes Given: 9
Απ: New Study: E-Cigarettes Carry No Risk of Heart Disease
Finally, this study we (greek vapers) have known for since its beginning and first results, came public..

A perfect chance to help more people get rid of analogs Wink

Sent from my Proteus using just the mechanical mode.
26/08/12 02:20 PM
Dr Farsalinos Offline

Likes Given: 0
Sex:
Thank you very much for reading and commenting on my study.
I would like to make a few remarks on what has been said till now.

Our clinical study was the first ever to examine cardiac effects of e-cigarette use. It is the biggest clinical study as far as nr of participants is concerned, although i agree that the sample is small.
As someone has already mentioned, i never said (and i will never say) that e-cigarette is a healthy habit. I only see it as an alternative for those who cannot quit by themselves or with short-term help from pharmaceutical products. The best thing would be to never smoke. The second best thing is to stop it immediately by yourself. My study concerns those who cannot stop it by themselves or with approved aids. Unfortunately, this is the vast majority.

"Reducing the intake of nicotine, decreases considerably the risk of heart disease." This is not true. Nicotine has minimal (if any) effects in promoting atherosclerosis and cardiac disease. The same applies for lung disease. I suggest you to read this article: http://content.onlinejacc.org/data/Journ.../12047.pdf (you can access it for free) to see how smoking causes heart disease.
The acute vasoconstrictive effects of smoking are similar to the acute vasoconstrictive effects of cold weather. Would someone say that cold weather causes heart disease?

Nicotine is one of the most addictive substances (more than opioid drugs) but, unlike opioids, it is not a killer. So, i wouldn't be so worried about this.

"....if the absorption of nicotine from an e-cig is slower then in my mind the time to carry out the echo on the vaping group would be when their plasma level is the same as that of the smokers". Unfortunately this cannot be done. The reason is that nicotine is continuously metabolised in the body. So, slower absorption means that it will never reach the level found in smokers when they smoke one cigarette. There are 2 studies in the literature that have shown exactly this. We have included only experienced vapers in our study, because studies have shown that they use e-cigarette more intensively than novice users. We were the first to do that, most are using smokers that have never seen or used an e-cigarette before...

"....echocardiograms are a dynamic investigation that look at a snapshot in time, and can change rapidly...". The cardiac function is dynamic, not the method to investigate it. And echocardiogram is not a snapshot but a dynamic view of cardiac function in real time. Because of the dynamic nature of cardiac function, we did not measure one vaper and one smoker but several subjects. Moreover, all measurements were performed in 3 cardiac beats and were averaged. This is the nature of clinical studies, unlike laboratory in vitro studies, you need several people in order to examine any effect. The cardiac function is so dynamic that you cannot predict a myocardial infarction not even 1 minute before it starts happening....

Our study covers just one aspect of the effects electronic cigarettes could theoretically have on human health. Our study is not the end but the beginning of research on electronic cigarettes. We believe our study has significant clinical and public health implications. Regulatory authorities should use clinical data in order to proceed with their decisions on the regulatory status of e-cigarettes. And we provide the only clinical data on cardiac function till now.

Several studies should be performed in the future, and we will do our best for this......

Next week, in Helsinki Finland, Dr Giorgio Romagna will present during the annual congress of Society for research on Nicotine and Tobacco Europe the first ever study on the cytotoxic effects of electronic cigarette liquids vapor extract on cultured cells. And a study about passive vaping. I was involved in both studies and i prepared the abstracts for the presentations together with Dr Romagna. So, you will see more data about electronic cigarettes....

Excuse me for the long post. Thank you for the comments and the interest you have shown to our study.

Konstantinos Farsalinos M.D.
(This post was last modified: 26/08/12 11:41 PM by Dr Farsalinos. )
26/08/12 11:36 PM
[-] The following 10 users Like Dr Farsalinos's post:
FlamingKaty (28/08/12), Gordon (28/08/12), Hugh Crummond (Yesterday), Jackie (28/08/12), Kate (27/08/12), PapaLazarou (27/08/12), Pedaldog (27/08/12), Ravenscroft (28/08/12), Stevethesax (26/08/12), unclegromit (27/08/12)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)