Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Possible counterfeit iTaste VV v3 (incl. pics) could someone confirm?
MrD Offline

Likes Given: 0
Sex: Undisclosed
Possible counterfeit iTaste VV v3 (incl. pics) could someone confirm?
So I just purchased my first bit of gear for myself.

I ordered and Innokin iTaste VV v3 on eBay, and I'm quite certain what came is a fake.

Here's the features that lead me to believe it's a fake:
  • Battery leak. Not a sign of being counterfeit, but indicitive of poor quality manufacturing, not something typically reported by other Innokin users: İmage
  • Very noisy and loose buttons: I've not tested the device (don't want to risk it with a leaked battery) but even the slightest movement makes all the button rattle really quite noisily.
  • The device is scuffed and marked in a lot of places.
  • Black sheath does not appear to extend all the way down: there's a gap at the bottom that just looks like shoddy manufacturing (you can also see scuffs on this pic): İmage
  • The device has studs around it which look like they're there to hold the black sheath on. I can't find any other pictures of this device with these metal studs on. İmage

I've attached a few pictures as evidence. I've also contacted the seller on eBay.

The packaging seemed genuine, it was shrink wrapped in cellophone in a box, with the itaste security check thing undre the cellophane.

When I put in the security code, first it said it wasn't genuine. I tried the same code again (selected from the autocomplete dropdown thing from when I tried previously) and now it says it's genuine.

I'm 90% certain it's not genuine, perhaps some people with a genuine one could confirm?
11/03/14 11:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
PeteC Offline
Mod Makers and Sellers

Likes Given: 542
Sex: Male
RE: Possible counterfeit iTaste VV v3 (incl. pics) could someone confirm?
The studs were the thing I first noticed which looked a little suspect - there seem to have been a few people recently questioning the authenticity of gear bought off ebay.

I don't have one to compare it to but something smells fishy to me. Hopefully someone else who owns one can shed a bit more light.

11/03/14 12:00 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
TeaTwoSugars Online

Likes Given: 146
Just checked mine and it has those studs, mine was purchased from go4smoke, and I have no reason to question their authenticity.

Either way, get it returned if you've got leakage mate.

I love Brasso.
11/03/14 12:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
BKKKPewsey Offline

Likes Given: 14
The extra rivets are on the new iTaste VV3's (genuine). Innokin added them because some peeps found that the the endcap (usb end) were coming loose on use.
My iTaste (original) without the extra rivets does have rattley buttons so I think that is normal - if it came scuffed I wonder if the seller had acquired some "seconds"
But the battery leak suggests that this is one "second" that should have binned

For a photo of the one with extra rivets see http://www.itcvapes.com/products/itaste-vv-v3

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege! (EU take note)
(This post was last modified: 11/03/14 12:16 PM by BKKKPewsey. )
11/03/14 12:09 PM
MrD Offline

(11/03/14 12:04 PM)TeaTwoSugars Wrote:  Just checked mine and it has those studs, mine was purchased from go4smoke, and I have no reason to question their authenticity.

Either way, get it returned if you've got leakage mate.

Thanks for the confirmation. Out of interest, when and where did you buy yours?

The iTaste on Innokin website doesn't appear to have studs:

http://www.innokin.com/itaste-vv-v3.0.html

(11/03/14 12:09 PM)BKKKPewsey Wrote:  The extra rivets are on the new iTaste VV3's (genuine). Innokin added them because some peeps found that the the endcap (usb end) were coming loose on use.
My iTaste (original) without the extra rivets does have rattley buttons so I think that is normal - if it came scuffed I wonder if the seller had acquired some "seconds"
But the battery leak suggests that this is one "second" that should have binned

Thanks, Interesting you should say that. The bottom part feels really quite loose on this one.

How would you rate the build quality in general?

This thing feels like it would fall apart if I tried to turn it on. The packaging all seems genuine though, and the security code checks out. But it was the cheapest place I could find it (I think it was about £25 compared to ~£35 elsewhere)
(This post was last modified: 11/03/14 12:11 PM by MrD. )
11/03/14 12:09 PM
TeaTwoSugars Online

I bought it about a month ago, doesn't get as much use anymore but it's still my back up that's stashed in the car.

I purchased it from here:

http://www.goforsmoke.com/itaste-vv-battery-2270-p.asp

The buttons do rattle if I shake the device, but not to the point that it annoys me. Only £21 before postage at the link too Smiling

I love Brasso.
11/03/14 12:21 PM
trog100 Offline
Vendors

Likes Given: 11
Quote:But it was the cheapest place I could find it

if you are looking for fakes or cheap copies you are going the best way to find one.. he he he

cheap copies and fakes are made for people that do just what you did.. buy the cheapest kit they can find off ebay.. tis a large market and the chinese are well clued in to it.. Smiling

trog

11/03/14 12:21 PM
TeaTwoSugars Online

A fair point,

However I don't think that these have been cloned, I'm not aware of any VV/VW clones to be honest (not to say they're not out there)

Innokin are a Chinese manufacturer in the first place, by the way.

I love Brasso.
11/03/14 12:26 PM
MrD Offline

(11/03/14 12:21 PM)TeaTwoSugars Wrote:  I bought it about a month ago, doesn't get as much use anymore but it's still my back up that's stashed in the car.

I purchased it from here:

http://www.goforsmoke.com/itaste-vv-battery-2270-p.asp

The buttons do rattle if I shake the device, but not to the point that it annoys me. Only £21 before postage at the link too Smiling

:O even cheaper. Thanks for the link, I hadn't been there.

(11/03/14 12:21 PM)trog100 Wrote:  
Quote:But it was the cheapest place I could find it

if you are looking for fakes or cheap copies you are going the best way to find one.. he he he

cheap copies and fakes are made for people that do just what you did.. buy the cheapest kit they can find off ebay.. tis a large market and the chinese are well clued in to it.. Smiling

trog

Heehee yup. I'm aware it's a trade off. I went with eBay because I knew I could order that one yesterday midday and it would be here todaySmiling But now it's probably going to be a few more days before I have one I can actually use ¬_¬
11/03/14 12:26 PM
fredhogg Offline

Likes Given: 1,065
£18.99 here, and a top vendor too boot http://love-vaping.com/56-battery-for-itaste-16-vvvw-v3

Keep away from E bay What?

Blackcurrant's for "woosies".....HeHe!HeHe!
11/03/14 12:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)