Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
SS rope VS SS Mesh?
frunkster Offline

Likes Given: 27
Sex: Male
SS rope VS SS Mesh?
Hey guys, only just really getting in to genny's over the last couple of months after almost killing myself getting them right to startt off with & have so far only used mesh & only 400 gauge at that, so a couple of questions rather than one really -

1. are there advantaged/disadvantages to the gauge of SS mesh used - if so what? - flavour/wicking etc

2. What is the difference between using SS rope VS Mesh - any advantages to the rope? or should I be happy I just managed to get a genny working at all & not push my luck ROFL

If there's a bright spark to the center of the galaxy, we're on the planet it's furthest from.
07/01/14 09:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
grindle Offline
Funkless Pants

Likes Given: 156
RE: SS rope VS SS Mesh?
(07/01/14 09:19 PM)frunkster Wrote:  1. are there advantaged/disadvantages to the gauge of SS mesh used - if so what? - flavour/wicking etc

2. What is the difference between using SS rope VS Mesh - any advantages to the rope? or should I be happy I just managed to get a genny working at all & not push my luck ROFL

1. The higher the number the faster the wicking upwards, #400 would be the minimum unless you're into tilting while vaping or high-PG juices.

2. Rope wicks faster than any mesh. A tiny sliver of mesh is usually wrapped around the rope to prevent hotspots but the rope itself can be burned clean and last forever.

If your genny wicks fast enough for you don't change or buy a thing.

07/01/14 09:28 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 2 users Like grindle's post:
frunkster (07/01/14), Loganberry (08/01/14)
remnant Offline

Likes Given: 162
I found gennies pretty underwhelming (esp. compared to the silica devices I was using) until I tried SS rope. Wicking and hot spot problems suddenly gone, flavour improved, & *very* stable builds. I'd also strongly recommend using ribbon wire with it.

07/01/14 09:37 PM
frunkster Offline

Excellent reply grindle & exactly what I needed to hear in a nutshell, many many thanks.

So in essence I am at the bottom of the wicking spectrum? interesting! though I am getting good vapour production with the 400, so maybe like you say - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Though I thought 400 was the highest & you could get 300 & 200?, is there a higher than 400 mesh?, did not see it on the mesh company site.

Thanks again Wink

If there's a bright spark to the center of the galaxy, we're on the planet it's furthest from.
07/01/14 09:39 PM
Gizzmo Offline

Likes Given: 90
Sex: Undisclosed
I peronsally don't like that set up I find that rope and mesh gunks really fast and the crud of the wick falls in the tanks f's up ur juice I now stick with mesh and microcoil.
07/01/14 10:28 PM
mully1971 Offline

Likes Given: 1,121
+1 for mesh and micro coil... flavour seems to drop off quickly using rope.
07/01/14 10:31 PM
grindle Offline
Funkless Pants

Likes Given: 156
(07/01/14 09:39 PM)frunkster Wrote:  Excellent reply grindle & exactly what I needed to hear in a nutshell, many many thanks.

So in essence I am at the bottom of the wicking spectrum? interesting! though I am getting good vapour production with the 400, so maybe like you say - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Though I thought 400 was the highest & you could get 300 & 200?, is there a higher than 400 mesh?, did not see it on the mesh company site.

Thanks again Wink

#500 & #625.

You're at the bottom of the well-wicking spectrum & how fast you need it to wick depends on your PG:VG ratio and the wattage you vape at.
Rope can easily go to 20-25w on a single coil and keep it well-fed.

07/01/14 10:38 PM
frunkster Offline

Ah!, I only have a vamo, so can only go up to 15 watts top, but usually vape between 9 & 11 watts, my juices are usually VG heavy at 70/30 VG/PG , but I make my VG aqueous at 20% D.I water.

07/01/14 11:06 PM
Loganberry Online

Likes Given: 1,836
Sex: Undisclosed
(07/01/14 11:06 PM)frunkster Wrote:  Ah!, I only have a vamo, so can only go up to 15 watts top, but usually vape between 9 & 11 watts, my juices are usually VG heavy at 70/30 VG/PG , but I make my VG aqueous at 20% D.I water.

If you use stacked 18350 batteries and put the Vamo in voltage mode you can get 25 Watts out of it. My next plan, in an attempt to get a decent vape out of my AGA T2+ is to put two micro coiled wicks in the same wick hole, coiling one at the bottom and one at the top and might need more than 15 Watts. Hard to say why I bother when I have better gennys.
08/01/14 07:12 PM
Maddog1904 Online

Likes Given: 186
U wicks are quick and really easy with rope. Cut to length, bend and torch. Wicks really well, no tilting needed.
08/01/14 07:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)