Important: Your continued use of this forum indicates acceptance of the forum rules. Please make sure you have read and understand these rules.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Samsung usb charger for pico mini?
mellow yellow Offline

Likes Given: 12
Sex:
Samsung usb charger for pico mini?
As per the title really, can i use my samsung S5 charger to charge my pico mini via my pc? i'm at work and losing charge and thats all i have with me.
11/01/17 09:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
Psycho Offline
Nic Junkie

Likes Given: 687
Sex: Male
RE: Samsung usb charger for pico mini?
if you just mean the cable then yes that should be fine mate.

11/01/17 09:09 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 1 user Likes Psycho's post:
mellow yellow (11/01/17)
mellow yellow Offline

Likes Given: 12
Sex:

(11/01/17 09:09 AM)Psycho Wrote:  if you just mean the cable then yes that should be fine mate.

yeah just the cable, i have a spare at work for my phone plugged into the computers usb.
11/01/17 09:11 AM
mammoth Offline

Likes Given: 11
You can use any micro USB cable and any 5v charger, (which is 99% of chargers) to charge anything that charges over micro USB.
11/01/17 01:13 PM
Dakota Fred Offline

Likes Given: 7
Sex: Undisclosed
0bhhjhjjjhuuuuuujkeerh!54.
Although I do sometimes charge my istick pico in the van and that's supposed to be 2.1A, it gets quite warm but hasn't blown up yet!

Generally I charge the batteries in a charger rather than the USB.
11/01/17 08:07 PM
MDC Offline

Likes Given: 215
(11/01/17 08:07 PM)Dakota Fred Wrote:  0bhhjhjjjhuuuuuujkeerh!54.
Although I do sometimes charge my istick pico in the van and that's supposed to be 2.1A, it gets quite warm but hasn't blown up yet!

Generally I charge the batteries in a charger rather than the USB.

Doesn't matter if your USB is beefy, I use a 2A plug always. The mod will only take what it needs, usually around 1A during the first half of the charge, when the battery may get warm. The second top-up phase of the charge, the battery will cool off.
11/01/17 08:10 PM
Dakota Fred Offline

Likes Given: 7
Sex: Undisclosed
I remember when I first started out with some kanger piece of crap pen thing the shop advised not to use apple chargers and later on when I upgraded to some aspire cap it also came with a warning label not to use chargers over 500mA.

We are putting a lot of faith in mass produced Chinese electronics.
11/01/17 08:19 PM
MDC Offline

Likes Given: 215
(11/01/17 08:19 PM)Dakota Fred Wrote:  I remember when I first started out with some kanger piece of crap pen thing the shop advised not to use apple chargers and later on when I upgraded to some aspire cap it also came with a warning label not to use chargers over 500mA.

We are putting a lot of faith in mass produced Chinese electronics.

If they don't work, you could be in trouble even with a 500mA charger, if it doesn't swap charging modes and shut down at the right time. The charge chips used here are industry standard chips, super cheap because they are mass manufactured.

A 500mA USB plug and a 2A plug both should put out 5v if not overloaded, but the Pico charge chip, wanting about 1A, will take all of the 500mA plug output, and trust that the plug can take being loaded to the limit - in fact, the plug must limit the current to 500mA for safety, by dropping it's voltage.

The 2A plug is running well within limits, as the charge chip is only taking half the power it can put out.

The Pico will charge at normal speed with the 2A plug, and slowly with the 500mA plug.

Obviously the above assumes the devices work as they should.
11/01/17 09:04 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes MDC's post:
Thribble (12/01/17)
HeyJoe Offline

Likes Given: 208
Sex:
(11/01/17 08:10 PM)MDC Wrote:  Doesn't matter if your USB is beefy, I use a 2A plug always. The mod will only take what it needs,

This my understanding: devices DRAW current, they don't have it pushed into them.
11/01/17 10:39 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes HeyJoe's post:
Thribble (12/01/17)
Vaper Meldrew Offline

Likes Given: 30
Sex:
I've been using one of these to charge everything usb for about the last 6 months and it's very handy.
https://www.fasttech.com/products/1310/10015455/4558702
Not sure how accurate it is but it gives a good indication what amps your device is drawing and as MDC said, you can notice the current reduce as it nears full charge. (Never used the Apple plug but assume it works ok)
12/01/17 04:37 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)