Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Shelf life of PG and VG nicotine base
Ianbuckwell Offline

Likes Given: 5
Sex:
Shelf life of PG and VG nicotine base
*** Mod - really sorry I meant to post this in Mixing Laboratory forum, can you please move ***

I read somewhere that PG base lasts longer than VG, is this the case? If so how long should a sealed bottle of each last if kept in cool dark conditions? Just wondering as now I have given up smoking and reading about the reclassification of nicotine I thought I may buy some reserves as don't want to end up finding I can no longer buy it and have to go back to cigarettes, or am I just being a worryer?

Does putting in the PG or VG based nicotine in the freezer help it keep? Is it best to use PG or VG base nicotine?
(This post was last modified: 25/08/13 06:14 PM by Ianbuckwell. )
25/08/13 06:02 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
Cheekiecharlie Offline
Forum Moderators

Likes Given: 2,626
Sex: Male
RE: Shelf life of PG and VG nicotine base
No probs Smiling

Vaping is a passion not just a hobby Lecture

Still a mixologist extraordinare at heart
25/08/13 07:18 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
Loganberry Offline

Likes Given: 1,842
Sex: Undisclosed
The official shelf life of nic base is 2 years. The colder it's kept the better. The freezer is a bit colder than the fridge but not much and it won't freeze. Most important is to keep it free from oxygen which is what reacts with the nicotine. So a good idea is to put it into smaller bottles filled right to the brim. It won't pick up any flavour from a glass bottle, possible that it might from long term storage in plastic. People are betting that it will be good for 5 years or more stored like this.
25/08/13 08:23 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Loganberry's post:
JustPoo (25/08/13)
Ianbuckwell Offline

Sex:

That sounds like plenty long enough.

Does anyone think that sourcing e-liquids and/or nicotine base to make them is going to be a problem in the next few years with this talk of reclassification?
25/08/13 11:13 PM
lazydog Offline

Likes Given: 664
No one really knows that is why it is important to fight the proposed legislation.

e-Cigcoupons
Midlands Vaping
Vaping Cloud Radio

Handle life as a dog does. If ya can't eat it or Hump it. Piss on it & walk away.
25/08/13 11:21 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes lazydog's post:
pete5dogs (25/08/13)
Ianbuckwell Offline

Sex:

Yes, I agree, I signed the petition, I wasn't going to bother as I thought what difference will my one name on it make. Then I thought if everybody had that attitude it wouldn't have any names on.
26/08/13 05:30 AM
cigeliquid Offline
Vendors

Likes Given: 237
If you can use a freezer it will keep your nicotine base liquid nice and fresh for years
1 remember stick a label on it
2 For long term storage use glass bottles to keep the oxygen out
3 fill to the brim ,little or no head room/air space
4 Smaller bottles are best 100ml or less as they warm up quicker when removed from freezer and unlike large bottles they might bounce if you drop them.
5 Dont flavour it before you sick it in the freezer
6 Give it a good shake after you bring it back up to room temp
7 Try not to stick it all in one freezer--- I just had a lab fridge go into reverse it got hot, very hot , mine had an alarm so it got spotted same day.

Heat is the real killer but light will have a small effect
Best colour for glass bottles to stop light damage
Best to worst --amber, brown ,blue ,green, clear

Boots the chemist will sell you good quality brown glass bottles with child resistant caps at a very good price.Cool

26/08/13 07:38 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
Wonko Online

Likes Given: 1,878
How does the plastic react to being in contact with nic and being frozen? Always concerned me, people say use glass coz plastics bad and then ignore the fact that if bottles full to brim nic is in contact with plastic.
26/08/13 07:43 PM
cigeliquid Offline
Vendors

Likes Given: 237
(26/08/13 07:43 PM)Wonko Wrote:  How does the plastic react to being in contact with nic and being frozen? Always concerned me, people say use glass coz plastics bad and then ignore the fact that if bottles full to brim nic is in contact with plastic.
The very small amount of plastic on the inside of the lid will have very little effect.
And if stored upright the chances are it will not be in contact with the liquid as it is very hard to get the top mm of a glass bottle free from air.Cool

26/08/13 07:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 1 user Likes cigeliquid's post:
Wonko (26/08/13)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)