Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Silica wick prep - boiling vs burning
jrob3rts Offline

Likes Given: 81
Sex: Male
RE: Silica wick prep - boiling vs burning
Not boiled it myself, would you add some kind of soap, then again with clean water?
06/05/13 12:13 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
Wonko Online

Likes Given: 1,704
Don't have a gas cooker, would 30 minutes on high in a microwave work lol

(and people flame kanthal ribbon? seriously?)
06/05/13 12:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
dr.pip Offline

Likes Given: 128
Feck I dont do anything and its fine.... do we just make this stuff up or what, its getting burnt anyway

boiling - microwave (Smiling) -soap - blow tourch, what else can we invent to make vaping more difficult?

I enjoy a fresh bit of silica, it has that ... new taste... for about 3 seconds (major issue).
(This post was last modified: 06/05/13 01:06 AM by dr.pip. )
06/05/13 01:02 AM
Stenodactylus Offline

Likes Given: 26
People who worry about chemically treated silica wick, could always purchase GG wick, or some other untreated wick. But I don't know what is the difference really. I haven't recognized any nasty tastes from the silica wick I use. As I understand it, the chemicals that are used to treat the wick aren't dangerous. However, you should take care to thoroughly wash your newly bought clothes, because they contain many harmful chemicals. This is a bigger concern.
/S.
06/05/13 05:41 AM
Stenodactylus Offline

Likes Given: 26
The motivation for boiling silica wick would be to remove any silica particles remaining from the fabrication process. Such particles aren't dangerous, because silica wicks are made from amorphous silica. But they might possibly cause irritation in the throat. There is a remarkably good thread about the dangers of silica wicks here:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/h...wicks.html

The conclusion is that silica wicks cannot possibly hold any dangers at all. It is only a matter of taking simple precautions. I always wet the wick with PG before working with it to prevent the spread of little fibres, simply because I don't like them. So it's not the question that the fibres are dangerous. Maybe I will take to boiling the wick for a minute, in order to remove any loose particles.
/S.
06/05/13 06:29 AM
scotty79 Offline
mr mister

Likes Given: 1,074
Stumbled upon some wick which has an absolutely rank aftertaste. You can even Smell it without vaping it. Does it need gone to the bin it will boiling do anything for it to the stage that it's useful? Also read some people boil it with milk?
05/11/13 09:46 AM
peteswright Offline

Likes Given: 211
I dont always torch kanthal before making coil (AWG 32). If I just coil, attach to posts, then fire up to check all are glowing, smoke and a smell come up off the coil. So there must be something on there worth getting rid of. Same probably applies to silica. Ive been using cotton for a while now and not bothered with boiling. Maybe I should. ATB. Pete.
05/11/13 10:00 AM
Nonsmoker Offline

Likes Given: 14
Sex: Undisclosed
Organic cotton is way to go and so quick to change.
05/11/13 10:44 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)