Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Vision spinner charging problem
JoBo Offline

Likes Given: 4,210
Sex: Undisclosed
RE: Vision spinner charging problem
You won't get twice the battery life if you're using more power, that is quite normal.

The charging time you're getting isn't though, even on a fast charger.
22/02/14 12:07 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
konky Online
Village Idiot

Likes Given: 523
Sex: Other

(22/02/14 12:07 AM)JoBo Wrote:  You won't get twice the battery life if you're using more power, that is quite normal.

The charging time you're getting isn't though, even on a fast charger.

will try running spinner at 3.7v same as the fixed setting on my evod to see if that gives me longer use. Will also be using 2.78,2.59 attys in my mini protank and evod clearomizer to see if that if that stops it from cutting out to early.

22/02/14 01:08 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 1 user Likes konky's post:
JoBo (22/02/14)
JoBo Offline

Good call, although I'm not sure it will solve the too-short charge problem. Hope it does, of course.

The eGo VVs can't really handle high power for very long. The trick with these heads is to find the right amount of cotton for the power you want to use, especially if your juice is very sensitive to temperature. It is one of the things I love about them; you don't need to change the coil to change the power they need. Smiling

I'm using 1.6ohms in a mini PT at 3.8v at the moment and with the right amount of cotton it is a really nice vape, using about the same power as an eGo at full pelt. In theory you would get best battery life for that ~9w from ~2.5ohms at 4.8v but I don't know how much power these ego VVs use to step up the voltage, so I'd be interested to know how you get on with those higher ohm heads.

I often use twisted wire to save power (no need for a drill; pliers and a mandrel to spin by hand works fine with small wires). If it's a solid build, thin twisted wire will last well through many rewickings. If it's a gunky juice they'll gunk up quick but they dry burn well. 10 wraps of 0.17 twisted would get you to about 2.5ohms with a nice long microcoil; similar resistance to 0.23 with the wick coverage of 0.34. If you want lower ohms, 9 wraps of 0.2 twisted does a similar job to 12 wraps of 0.32 (both ~1.8ohms). Just make sure you torch twisted wire very well when building to minimise the risk of problem shorts. Use short pulses to dry burn when first fitted, and before rewicking, to make sure the coil is working well with glow heading from the centre to the edges.

Good luck with the battery. If problems persist the vendor should replace it with no quibbles, with it being that new.
22/02/14 02:52 AM
konky Online
Village Idiot

(22/02/14 02:52 AM)JoBo Wrote:  Good call, although I'm not sure it will solve the too-short charge problem. Hope it does, of course.

The eGo VVs can't really handle high power for very long. The trick with these heads is to find the right amount of cotton for the power you want to use, especially if your juice is very sensitive to temperature. It is one of the things I love about them; you don't need to change the coil to change the power they need. Smiling

I'm using 1.6ohms in a mini PT at 3.8v at the moment and with the right amount of cotton it is a really nice vape, using about the same power as an eGo at full pelt. In theory you would get best battery life for that ~9w from ~2.5ohms at 4.8v but I don't know how much power these ego VVs use to step up the voltage, so I'd be interested to know how you get on with those higher ohm heads.

I often use twisted wire to save power (no need for a drill; pliers and a mandrel to spin by hand works fine with small wires). If it's a solid build, thin twisted wire will last well through many rewickings. If it's a gunky juice they'll gunk up quick but they dry burn well. 10 wraps of 0.17 twisted would get you to about 2.5ohms with a nice long microcoil; similar resistance to 0.23 with the wick coverage of 0.34. If you want lower ohms, 9 wraps of 0.2 twisted does a similar job to 12 wraps of 0.32 (both ~1.8ohms). Just make sure you torch twisted wire very well when building to minimise the risk of problem shorts. Use short pulses to dry burn when first fitted, and before rewicking, to make sure the coil is working well with glow heading from the centre to the edges.

Good luck with the battery. If problems persist the vendor should replace it with no quibbles, with it being that new.

A week ago i was struggling to wrap around silica now i want to make that twisted microcoil. The only kanthal i have is .25 and .17 which i got free so will be trying that tomorrow and let you know how i get on. Will give an update on the spinner as well which is my main concern.

22/02/14 03:36 AM
JoBo (22/02/14)
JoBo Offline

I started with microcoils and find them soooo much easier (availability of a gas flame allowing). Never did manage to wrap a decent coil around wick. Blush

I should have said that those numbers work on 2mm (5/64"). Can find alternatives if you prefer a smaller internal diameter. I have a spreadsheet for finding nice long microcoils at the right resistance for these heads. Big Grin

Hope the Spinner works out. jSquared might be able to help, he knows a lot about these VVs and how they should work.
22/02/14 03:55 AM
konky Online
Village Idiot

(22/02/14 03:55 AM)JoBo Wrote:  I started with microcoils and find them soooo much easier (availability of a gas flame allowing). Never did manage to wrap a decent coil around wick. Blush

I should have said that those numbers work on 2mm (5/64"). Can find alternatives if you prefer a smaller internal diameter. I have a spreadsheet for finding nice long microcoils at the right resistance for these heads. Big Grin

Hope the Spinner works out. jSquared might be able to help, he knows a lot about these VVs and how they should work.

Just an update got up at 12.30pm today(i know lazy bugger) and been vaping as normal now 2.59 atty and spinner set at 3.7 almost 12.00pm and spinner is still firing up so looking good. I think the problem may be as stig mentioned (If using lower than 2ohms they can indicate battery flat even though there is still a bit of usable power it's just that they cannot power low res at that setting.) As for the microcoil i need to get a better torching device as i keep burning my fingers with lighters getting too hot and ive just found nice wee 2mm screwdriver that should do the trick. Where can i get hold of that spreadsheet you have or is it for your eyes only lol.

(This post was last modified: 23/02/14 12:06 AM by konky. )
23/02/14 12:05 AM
JoBo (23/02/14)
JoBo Offline

It's not in a fit state for anyone else to use really, maybe one day. But not hard to set up the calculation.

Row for each wire gauge with a column for gauge, mm and resistance.

Cell to enter the mandrel diameter you're using, with columns for:
length of wire/wrap = pi*(mandrel diameter + wire diameter) <- estimating through centre of the wire works out most accurate
ohms/wrap = length of wrap/ohms per inch

Cell to enter maximum coil length (eg 4mm for these heads) and a column for max coil length/wire width to find the maximum number of wraps that will fit.
Column to manually enter the number of wraps so that this can be played with easily.
Column to tot up the total ohms for the number of wraps, allowing half an inch for legs.

Twisted wires have a row each in the same table, same calcs with
R=1/(1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... 1/Rn) and
width = sum of the widths of the wires

Hope that makes sense! Once it's working for one wire it is easy to add more so no need to start off with a huge list.
Not sure how accurate it it with twisted wires yet, need to check some more examples of twisted, but it's pretty much bang on for singles and close with twisted.
23/02/14 03:26 AM
konky Online
Village Idiot

(23/02/14 03:26 AM)JoBo Wrote:  It's not in a fit state for anyone else to use really, maybe one day. But not hard to set up the calculation.

Row for each wire gauge with a column for gauge, mm and resistance.

Cell to enter the mandrel diameter you're using, with columns for:
length of wire/wrap = pi*(mandrel diameter + wire diameter) <- estimating through centre of the wire works out most accurate
ohms/wrap = length of wrap/ohms per inch

Cell to enter maximum coil length (eg 4mm for these heads) and a column for max coil length/wire width to find the maximum number of wraps that will fit.
Column to manually enter the number of wraps so that this can be played with easily.
Column to tot up the total ohms for the number of wraps, allowing half an inch for legs.

Twisted wires have a row each in the same table, same calcs with
R=1/(1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... 1/Rn) and
width = sum of the widths of the wires

Hope that makes sense! Once it's working for one wire it is easy to add more so no need to start off with a huge list.
Not sure how accurate it it with twisted wires yet, need to check some more examples of twisted, but it's pretty much bang on for singles and close with twisted.

Sounds a bit complicated to me just now what i was hoping for was something like the second chart here http://ukvapers.org/Thread-Charts-charts...ight=chart but for microcoils and twisted microcoils My spinner lost charge after 14 hours use sounds about right been on charger now for 1 hr and 15 mins and light is now solid green. Still seems a bit fast will try out tomorrow using same settings to see if it got a full charge or not.

Just an update
Found this online this is whats supposed to happen.
Set the battery to 4.2v when charging - check
The light on the battery should stay on during charging - check
The light on the charger will flash from green to red, green to red, green to red... while charging - check but only for 75mins
The light on the battery will go out a little while before charging is complete - Mine is still on
The light on the charger will turn green when charging is complete. - Green light is on usb charger but battery is still lit up so not sure if still charging or not.

(This post was last modified: 23/02/14 04:15 AM by konky. )
23/02/14 03:51 AM
JoBo Offline

Here is a chart but the most useful thing is playing with it. Wraps per 4mm worked out on 3.9mm below to make sure it doesn't come out too big. Twisted wires seem to be overestimated by around 10% but not tested these enough yet. These numbers are for a 2mm mandrel but ohms per wrap is proportional to mandrel diameter, so wrapped on 1.6mm will give 80% of the ohms per wrap, 1mm 50% etc.

(This post was last modified: 23/02/14 04:18 AM by JoBo. )
23/02/14 04:09 AM
konky Online
Village Idiot

(23/02/14 04:09 AM)JoBo Wrote:  Here is a chart but the most useful thing is playing with it. Wraps per 4mm worked out on 3.9mm below to make sure it doesn't come out too big. Twisted wires seem to be overestimated by around 10% but not tested these enough yet. These numbers are for a 2mm mandrel but ohms per wrap is proportional to mandrel diameter, so wrapped on 1.6mm will give 80% of the ohms per wrap, 1mm 50% etc.

Thanks
Thats more like what i was looking for lets me see what im aiming for. I updated my last post on what the spinner is supposed to do while charging.

23/02/14 04:30 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)