Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Volts, ohm, watts ... what?!
bryth65 Offline
Oh look, its vape o'clock!

Likes Given: 57
Sex: Male
Volts, ohm, watts ... what?!
Recently got a LavaTube with Vivi Nova tanks. The tanks have three different heads - 1.8, 2.4 & 2.8 ohm, and more are available to order. Currently using the 2.4 head (it was the one that was pre-installed).

What is the effect of changing it to the 1.8 or 2.8, whilst keeping the wattage roughly the same, for example:

1.8 / 3.3v
2.4 / 3.8v
2.8 / 4.1v

This would (I think) all produce about 6 watts = same amount of heat?. Does this affect flavour, vapour production, liquid consumption, battery life, etc? I am using AW 18650 2000MaH batteries. Liquids are 100% PG, 24mg.

TIA

Rob
(This post was last modified: 29/08/12 08:31 AM by bryth65. )
29/08/12 08:30 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
PinkVaper Offline
Vendors

Likes Given: 479
Sex: Undisclosed
RE: Volts, ohm, watts ... what?!
great question and time and time again i love to be reminded of the answers.....erm....hopefully someone can jump in and clarify Smiling

29/08/12 08:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
calibri Offline

Likes Given: 149
(29/08/12 08:30 AM)bryth65 Wrote:  Recently got a LavaTube with Vivi Nova tanks. The tanks have three different heads - 1.8, 2.4 & 2.8 ohm, and more are available to order. Currently using the 2.4 head (it was the one that was pre-installed).

What is the effect of changing it to the 1.8 or 2.8, whilst keeping the wattage roughly the same, for example:

1.8 / 3.3v
2.4 / 3.8v
2.8 / 4.1v

This would (I think) all produce about 6 watts = same amount of heat?. Does this affect flavour, vapour production, liquid consumption, battery life, etc? I am using AW 18650 2000MaH batteries. Liquids are 100% PG, 24mg.

TIA

Rob

Your spot on in your thinking Watts is the magic word because that equals power.So if the watts remain the same so will battery power and consumption.Flavour...very subjective pg/vg mix all have a bearing including flavour.I vape 2.4 ohms @ 4.2 volts gives a warmer vape and brings out the flavours on my e liquids. Just play about with volts and see how you get on.

Hope this helps

29/08/12 11:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 1 user Likes calibri's post:
bryth65 (29/08/12)
McAldo Offline

Likes Given: 420
Sex:
Re: Volts, ohm, watts ... what?!
Lower resistence heads will require less voltage, so you battery will last longer.
However, as a general rule, higher resistance coils can last a bit longer and might vaporize a bit more juice in one go, if for making it higher resistance they added extra turns rather than using a narrower wire.
I never really checked how many turns the different heads have, and to be honest, with exacly your same setup I find the three pretty much equivalent provided you set the appropriate voltage.

I prefer 2.4 and 1.8 because my battery last a bit longer. 2.4 is a good compromise in that you can run it quite cool or pretty hot, which is good if a juice changes taste dependently on the wattage.
Sent from my SK17i using Tapatalk 2
29/08/12 12:07 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes McAldo's post:
bryth65 (29/08/12)
ITisEYEemtronea Offline
only the truth gets deleted

Likes Given: 62
(29/08/12 12:07 PM)McAldo Wrote:  Lower resistence heads will require less voltage, so you battery will last longer.
However, as a general rule, higher resistance coils can last a bit longer and might vaporize a bit more juice in one go, if for making it higher resistance they added extra turns rather than using a narrower wire.
I never really checked how many turns the different heads have, and to be honest, with exacly your same setup I find the three pretty much equivalent provided you set the appropriate voltage.

I prefer 2.4 and 1.8 because my battery last a bit longer. 2.4 is a good compromise in that you can run it quite cool or pretty hot, which is good if a juice changes taste dependently on the wattage.

mcaldo ure crazy, get a gooseneck and run it off 29volts on a provari and ther be no comprmises just pure heaven Tounge
29/08/12 02:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
Gordon Offline

Likes Given: 45
I think most have avoided answering your actual question.

The difference between a low resistance coil and a high resistance coil is the amount of wire. A high resistance coil will have more. This in turn will mean that the higher resistance coils will heat more slowly and reach a lower equilibrium temperature as you have to heat more metal. How does this effect your vape? well in your example probably not a great deal, but you may sense a slightly harsher vape from the lower resistance coils. Battery life should be the same as long as you are taking the same amount of draws.

29/08/12 02:22 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gordon's post:
bryth65 (29/08/12)
McAldo Offline

Likes Given: 420
Sex:
Re: RE: Volts, ohm, watts ... what?!
(29/08/12 02:08 PM)ITisEYEemtronea Wrote:  
(29/08/12 12:07 PM)McAldo Wrote:  Lower resistence heads will require less voltage, so you battery will last longer.

mcaldo ure crazy, get a gooseneck and run it off 29volts on a provari and ther be no comprmises just pure heaven Tounge

I know my friend, I am quite a compromising guy, but the gooseneck gave me the bumps.
And even mothergoose should wise up and know that a gooseneck it's just the last resort after you have tried all the juices in the world, as you did, and nothing else matter, no matter how far.

OP, in case you are confused, emtro used to put the very last drops of every dismaying juice he tried in a bottle. One day the bottle got full and he vaped it starting at 3watts, 6 months after, having got at 7.23 watts (he's very precise) he suddendly realized he had found the primal vape, the holy grail of vapers, in his case dekang sweet and sour grape gummy bears but with a twist.
However, the 100ml leftovers bottle was empty, the irreplicable juice had come and gone.
So, he modded his provari to output 29volts and incinerated his own tastebuds to put an end to a quest he knew would only give him endless pain and frustration.
But that last draw of gummy bears, man, that stayed with him until these days, and that's why he can vape bacon blue cheese with a smile. He found his heaven, nirvana of the senses.

Now he dedicated his life to warn new vapers against excesses and common mistakes, such as vaping from the battery side, bless him.

Watts are watts, but there is a certain tollerance in the way they make gear, so unless you can check real homs with a mutimeter or with your mod, a bit of tweaking might be needed as for the voltage.

I vape full vg and what I notice is that sometimes letting the coil warm up a second before frawing, and keeping on drawing after releasing the button will give you a better vape, on pretty much anythng including the nova. But particularly on high res atties/heads.
29/08/12 02:53 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes McAldo's post:
bryth65 (29/08/12)
Hutchin Offline
£20 Battery Holder+18650 Battery

Likes Given: 106
(29/08/12 08:30 AM)bryth65 Wrote:  Recently got a LavaTube with Vivi Nova tanks. The tanks have three different heads - 1.8, 2.4 & 2.8 ohm, and more are available to order. Currently using the 2.4 head (it was the one that was pre-installed).

1.8 / 3.3v
2.4 / 3.8v
2.8 / 4.1v

TIA

Rob

Damn, Damn,
I really should have paid more attention at school. 60 years old and NOW I need Ohm's Law!! Bugger!! Crying

Regards,
Hutchin Wink

16/09/12 11:18 AM
MarlowMan Offline

Likes Given: 301
(16/09/12 11:18 AM)Hutchin Wrote:  Damn, Damn,
I really should have paid more attention at school. 60 years old and NOW I need Ohm's Law!! Bugger!! Crying

Nahh mate. All you need is what works for you. But generally, lower ohms carto's and attys (less than 2 ohms) work better on ego bats (3.3 volts) and unboosted mods like just plain battery mods like the Silver Bullet and all the rest. And 2.5 - 3 ohm on variable voltages and boosted mods like the VV Gripper, lavatube, provari, Vmax and so on. Its like the boosted mods like coils that are above 2 ohm and normal batts below 2 ohm. Thats what I found anyway. And if you can remember that, its all you need to know. So you can forget V=IXR and all that emc2 coblers,

MM

Mods: Provari Mini, Megalodon (The Don), Vamo X4, Sig 19b
Attys: 3ML Cobra X 2, VH-Genesis, IGO - L, AGA T+, GP spheroid V2, Kayfun 3.1, Russian 91%, Evods 4 out and abaat.

16/09/12 11:25 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like MarlowMan's post:
Hutchin (16/09/12), xlukeaaronx (10/03/13)
greigster Offline
Mod Makers and Sellers

Likes Given: 1,134
Also, dont take it as a given that the numbers on the side of the Vivi heads are correct.

Just had 2 Vivi Nova`s delivered and the ohms read as follows:-

1.8ohm turned out at 2.9ohm
2.4ohm turned out at 3.1ohm
2.8ohm turned out at 3.6ohm

I am about to re-coil them all with SS and Kanthal
16/09/12 12:09 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)