Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
What voltage and Resistance...the Safe Vaping Chart
Ian-C Offline
Mod Makers and Sellers

Likes Given: 47
Sex: Male
RE: What voltage and Resistance...the Safe Vaping Chart
(18/07/12 03:31 AM)Onceupon Wrote:  Well, I successfully vape at around 15 watts using a DCC on my 5 volt, 3 amp box. I was simply pointing out that the chart would suggest that this is a no-no.

I'm not sure how it would work with DCC's because the two coils are usually around 3 ohms but because they are wired in parallel a meter measures them at 1.5 ohm, so I'm not sure if you would calculate it as 1.5 or 3.0 but if you look at the chart, for 1.5 ohm it's 16 watts at 5 volts but only 8 watts for the 3 ohm.

Maybe we need someone with a degree in electronics to help work this one out.

18/07/12 08:42 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
Toby | iVapour Offline
eGoer
Vendors

Likes Given: 1,084
I don't need a degree in electronics to know that LR dual coils still work great on eGo batts @ 3.4v...

Well, that's what I use them on! Smiling

But if you want to go up to 5v, then why not...

iVapour.co.uk - Janty UK Supplier; the original eGo.
iVapour-elixir.co.uk - Silver Bullet, mods, and spares.
The EU TPD is not a victimless crime...
18/07/12 09:25 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
maccafan Offline

Likes Given: 1
Sex:
Yep, it's horses for courses..

I prefer a warmer vape, so DC 1.5 on 3.2 volt ego does nothing for me..

A SC 1.5 is a different animal..

My Parents have been there for me ever since I was seven-David Beckham
18/07/12 10:06 AM
PapaLazarou Offline

Likes Given: 171
(16/07/12 02:08 AM)Onceupon Wrote:  Of course, dual-coils are a different kettle Wink

They are, but the chart is applicable if you consider a 1.5 ohm dual coil carto as a 3 ohm carto for these purposes (as it's made up of two 3 ohm coils in parallel). I think that's the simplest answer.

A 1.5 ohm triple coil carto is made up of 3 x 4.5 ohm coils, so it needs to be considered a 4.5 ohm carto. So clearly it will need higher voltages to perform adequately.
18/07/12 10:59 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes PapaLazarou's post:
Pikeybarsteward (21/07/12)
McAldo Offline

Likes Given: 420
Sex:
(18/07/12 10:59 AM)PapaLazarou Wrote:  
(16/07/12 02:08 AM)Onceupon Wrote:  Of course, dual-coils are a different kettle Wink

They are, but the chart is applicable if you consider a 1.5 ohm dual coil carto as a 3 ohm carto for these purposes (as it's made up of two 3 ohm coils in parallel). I think that's the simplest answer.

A 1.5 ohm triple coil carto is made up of 3 x 4.5 ohm coils, so it needs to be considered a 4.5 ohm carto. So clearly it will need higher voltages to perform adequately.

That's certainly true, but given retailers will normally only give the combined resistance, a newbie using the chart as reference is up to a nasty surprise, particularly if the amperage on the mod is not up to the task and/or some limiters kicks in.
I think the whole point of the objection was that. If you are going multi coil, the actual resistance is the declared one times the number of coils, and not only the voltage but the amperage must be up sufficient.
And your mod must not try to protect you from yourself, and limit voltage based on the combined resistance.
(This post was last modified: 19/07/12 11:34 PM by McAldo. )
19/07/12 11:30 PM
sej016 Offline
Mainly E-Pipe Mods
Mod Makers and Sellers

Likes Given: 832
Sex: Undisclosed

I'll try and put a form of words with the chart about how to treat multi-coil devices. I think PapaLazarou sums it up nicely?

Steve J
Vaporatum ergo sum

http://www.pipevapes.co.uk/
20/07/12 02:35 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 1 user Likes sej016's post:
PapaLazarou (20/07/12)
PapaLazarou Offline

(20/07/12 02:35 PM)sej016 Wrote:  I'll try and put a form of words with the chart about how to treat multi-coil devices. I think PapaLazarou sums it up nicely?

I think if the chart is just looking at what is going to burn out the coil and what isn't that's right. Electrically a dual coil carto/atty is exactly the same as having two atties running in parallel (like in the double barrelled Silver Bullet) - it's just combining them in a single body. Two 3 ohm atomizers on the double barrelled SB is going to present a 1.5 ohm load to the battery.

As McAldo mentions there could be issues with the device or it's batteries safely providing enough current for some of these multi coil combo's. But that's beyond the scope of the chart. For example running a 1.5 ohm triple coil (3 x 4.5 ohm) carto at 6v while in theory a "safe" level to avoid coil burnout, is going to be beyond the electronics abilities of most VV mods, as it's going to need 4 amps (would also likely need high drain batteries).
20/07/12 03:17 PM
Pikeybarsteward Offline
Manimal !

Likes Given: 469
PapaL uploaded another good chart last year . Have you still got it PapaL?

As a punter , I look at DCs as a different animal . I dont see em as LR ,they are more sluggish and forgiving . I ve got half a dozen dual coil dripping attys in my vape box that just wont die . It was Tobys posts that got me to try em in the first place. I m a bit of a vape Luddite sometimes .

One thing I did notice from using DC cartos was my mods kept getting bigger . A twin 18650 VV box lights a fire in their bellies at low voltage that a normal single battery mod cant duplicate .
21/07/12 05:36 AM
PapaLazarou Offline

Yes still got it Smiling It was done by a user on ECF (whose name I can't remember now) a few years ago.

It's also in spreadsheet form which I've attached.

Attached File(s)
.xls  Wattage.xls (Size: 36.5 KB / Downloads: 38)
21/07/12 01:25 PM
Pikeybarsteward Offline
Manimal !

Likes Given: 469
Yeah , I ve got it too ....had it as a background on my desktop for ages ....but kept losing icons in the grid lol .
21/07/12 06:56 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Pikeybarsteward's post:
PapaLazarou (22/07/12)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)