• 0 Votes - 0 Average
Wrapping a coil
gmann198 Offline
Keen Novice

Likes Given: 18
Sex: Male
Wrapping a coil
Hi All
Newbie, wrapping many coils and not really knowing what achieves what, or what I'm aiming to do...!
Tightness of wrap, will this affect the vap/taste?
Thickness of wick, which relates to the above?
Spacing between wraps?
Should I keep the 2 ends of wire apart. (Through the middle of the 2 connectors, or around each outer extremity)?

Going to Vape Fest in a few weeks, so hopefully someone will show an "idiot" me, the ropes....

Cheers Stef
01/08/13 09:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
Moz Offline

Likes Given: 196
RE: Wrapping a coil
What do you plan on using your coils in an RDA?

1. Yes, To tight you choke the wick and too loose and you will get a hot spot both will effect taste. Use a needle or paperclip, hold along side the wick and wrap round it. Pull the needle out when your done though Tongue

2. Thickness of wick mainly effects resistance. The thicker your wick the more kanthal is used to wrap. The more kanthal used, the higher your resistance will be. I normally fold 3mm silica or 2mm ekowool in half and wrap away. Having a doubled over wick allows more juice to touch the coils as well.

3. Yeah you need to leave gaps. As long as there is a gap between them you can wrap the coils close together.

4. Not sure what you mean here, are you using an RDA?. If you mean the excess wire that pokes out the other side once you have tightened the screws down. Then cut it off. Close to the posts. If they touch each other or anywhere inside (other than the posts) they will cause a short. Make sure none of the coils are the touching the posts also. Only the legs of your coil can touch the posts or it will short.

Watch some youtube videos. They will explain a lot while you are watching what they do Thumbs Up
(This post was last modified: 01/08/13 09:47 PM by Moz. )
01/08/13 09:41 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 2 users Like Moz's post:
gmann198 (01/08/13), Reptile (01/08/13)
Rascal333 Offline

Likes Given: 42
(01/08/13 09:27 PM)gmann198 Wrote:  Should I keep the 2 ends of wire apart. (Through the middle of the 2 connectors, or around each outer extremity)?

If I understand you correctly you're asking whether to wrap the wire ends around each connector starting from between the two terminals (shorter distance), or outwith the two terminals (further away). Personally I do whichever way will sit the best.

I'm pretty new to rebuilds myself but try not to get too hung up on the details to start with - just be happy when it vapes good lol, worst case scenario you need to spend another few minutes building another coil.
01/08/13 10:17 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rascal333's post:
Reptile (01/08/13)
Mozzie Offline

Likes Given: 226
Generally best to wrap the ends clockwise around the posts. That way they get pulled in tighter when you screw the screws down

01/08/13 10:30 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
gmann198 Offline
Keen Novice

Likes Given: 18

Cheers fella vapers, loads of good advise as always.
02/08/13 09:09 AM
George Elwyn Offline
Vendors

Likes Given: 0
Sex: Undisclosed
Tight wrap will give you the very smoothest and best of it.

17/08/13 03:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)