Important: Your continued use of this forum indicates acceptance of the forum rules. Please make sure you have read and understand these rules.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
iStick Pico not staying in TC-SS mode
Havin_it Offline

Likes Given: 1
Sex:
iStick Pico not staying in TC-SS mode
Hi,

I got an eLeaf iStick Pico mod a few months ago, but until recently was just using it with my old tanks (Kanger Aerotank v1, Nautilus Mini). Now I've been trying out the Melo III Mini tank for some TC action, but it's proving temperamental.

I've been using the supplied 0.3Ohm coil in TC-SS mode (from eLeaf's product page this appears to be correct, though they could have been clearer on this in the boxed documentation...!).

After a few MTL puffs, it always reverts to VW mode at 20W. (I bump it up to 45W for a suitable equivalent experience, but this setting is never remembered when it reverts in this way.) I then have to give the mod some idle time before I'm able to change the mode back to TC-SS, otherwise the mode just won't change.

Am I wrong about the coil type, or is this a known issue? If so, is it fixed in newer firmware? (I would need to commandeer a Windows computer to do this as I'm all Linux here.) Or does it point to a knackered coil? I have the 0.5ohm coil that was also supplied, but the 0.3 doesn't look or taste burnt so I don't want to bin it out of hand.

Any haylp appreciated!
30/12/16 02:21 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
nisam Offline

Likes Given: 2,649
Sex:
RE: iStick Pico not staying in TC-SS mode
Did you lock the coil resistance?
30/12/16 07:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 1 user Likes nisam's post:
Kenneth (08/01/17)
wobbly Offline

Likes Given: 974
Sex: Male
I use a pico in ss tc mode no problems. I am using the latest firmware though.
You should be able to upgrade with linux, I did mine using MX15. Even loaded my own "Smoke Free Zone!" logo.

Cheers.

Sent using a Raspberry Pi 2 (Ubuntu-Mate) whilst puffing away on a Wraith squonker.
30/12/16 08:25 AM
MDC Offline

Likes Given: 214
(30/12/16 02:21 AM)Havin_it Wrote:  Hi,

I got an eLeaf iStick Pico mod a few months ago, but until recently was just using it with my old tanks (Kanger Aerotank v1, Nautilus Mini). Now I've been trying out the Melo III Mini tank for some TC action, but it's proving temperamental.

I've been using the supplied 0.3Ohm coil in TC-SS mode (from eLeaf's product page this appears to be correct, though they could have been clearer on this in the boxed documentation...!).

After a few MTL puffs, it always reverts to VW mode at 20W. (I bump it up to 45W for a suitable equivalent experience, but this setting is never remembered when it reverts in this way.) I then have to give the mod some idle time before I'm able to change the mode back to TC-SS, otherwise the mode just won't change.

Am I wrong about the coil type, or is this a known issue? If so, is it fixed in newer firmware? (I would need to commandeer a Windows computer to do this as I'm all Linux here.) Or does it point to a knackered coil? I have the 0.5ohm coil that was also supplied, but the 0.3 doesn't look or taste burnt so I don't want to bin it out of hand.

Any haylp appreciated!

No experience of TC on the Pico with Melo - I use the rebuildable Kanthal coils, but I'm wondering if there is a slightly dodgy connection that's confusing the mod and flipping it back to power mode?

The coils are connected to the coil shell and pin by compression from a rubber bung rather then by tightening screws in a post, so this may introduce a touch of variable resistance. Not normally an issue, but mods running SS in TC mode have to be sensitive to rather small resistance changes - SS has about 1/6 the temperature coefficient of Ni200, which is why the first TC mods only did Nickel.
30/12/16 09:04 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes MDC's post:
nisam (30/12/16)
Given-up Offline

Likes Given: 3
Sex:
The 0.3 coil supplied with the melo 3 is kanthal.

Both the 0.5 and 0.3 are dual vertical coils, both kanthal.

I've stuck with the 0.5 as I found they last longer and don't use as much battery life.
(This post was last modified: 30/12/16 09:33 AM by Given-up.)
30/12/16 09:31 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Given-up's post:
Izan (30/12/16)
gummy Offline

Likes Given: 8
Sex:
the vtc mini (which is essentially the same board ) was known for having some tc issues. Not everybody had them but it was more to do with the mod base resistance reading changing when it was inactive.
I'd say make sure that the resistance is locked first and that it isn't changing. Also clean both male and female 510 connectors. A little crud goes a long way to making a resistance change.
Very small changes 0.01/0.02 can make 30-40 degree differences so a poor connection can also contribute to random swings.
I would check the coil on a different mod in power mode if you have one, the resistance should rise, if it doesn't then the pico will drop out of tc.
(This post was last modified: 30/12/16 09:41 AM by gummy.)
30/12/16 09:40 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes gummy's post:
nisam (30/12/16)
MDC Offline

(30/12/16 09:31 AM)Given-up Wrote:  The 0.3 coil supplied with the melo 3 is kanthal.

I've stuck with the 0.5 as I found they last longer and don't use as much battery life.

I assumed from Havin-it's post that he had used a SS coil, but you're right - the supplied stock coil is Kanthal.

If the coil he used is Kanthal, the mod will probably drop back to power mode if it can't sense a change of resistance when power is applied. Kanthal has virtually no temperature coefficient of resistance, hence use with power only.
30/12/16 09:42 AM
Izan (30/12/16)
nisam Offline

Likes Given: 2,649
Sex:
Glad that's been cleared up so I can get back to my finger painting class.
30/12/16 10:17 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes nisam's post:
Kenneth (08/01/17)
MDC Offline

(30/12/16 10:17 AM)nisam Wrote:  Glad that's been cleared up so I can get back to my finger painting class.

Surprised you left it! bet your keyboard's a right messSmiling
30/12/16 10:42 AM
nisam (30/12/16)
Havin_it Offline

Likes Given: 1
Sex:

(30/12/16 09:31 AM)Given-up Wrote:  The 0.3 coil supplied with the melo 3 is kanthal.

Ah.

Seems like I've wasted everybody's time and braincells a bit here, for which many apologies all round.

Bit annoyed that there was nothing to tell me the coil-type of the supplied coils (as for the literature I found that mentioned SS, I'll chalk that up to my bad researching). You'd think that they'd supply TC-capable coils with a TC mod, really.

Oh well, off I go to look for TC coils...

Thanks all for your efforts, helpful to a fault as always Smiling
30/12/16 03:49 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Havin_it's post:
flearider (30/12/16), nisam (30/12/16)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)