Important: Your continued use of this forum indicates acceptance of the forum rules. Please make sure you have read and understand these rules.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
iStick Pico not staying in TC-SS mode
Havin_it Offline

Likes Given: 1
Sex:

RE: iStick Pico not staying in TC-SS mode
OK, I do have one follow-up query: I'm looking at these Ti coils, are they OK for this combo?

They seem to be the ones listed as accessories on the eLeaf site, but I'm not 100% confident because (a) the Amazon listing says max 60W and the Pico seems pegged at 75W when in TC mode (or can this be changed? Not got the manual handy) and (b) the Melo 3 isn't mentioned as a supported tank in the listing.
30/12/16 04:16 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
MDC Offline

Likes Given: 214
Sex: Male
(30/12/16 03:49 PM)Havin_it Wrote:  
(30/12/16 09:31 AM)Given-up Wrote:  The 0.3 coil supplied with the melo 3 is kanthal.

Both the 0.5 and 0.3 are dual vertical coils, both kanthal.

I've stuck with the 0.5 as I found they last longer and don't use as much battery life.

Ah.

Seems like I've wasted everybody's time and braincells a bit here, for which many apologies all round.

Bit annoyed that there was nothing to tell me the coil-type of the supplied coils (as for the literature I found that mentioned SS, I'll chalk that up to my bad researching). You'd think that they'd supply TC-capable coils with a TC mod, really.

Oh well, off I go to look for TC coils...

Thanks all for your efforts, helpful to a fault as always Smiling

Something like this?
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/1001...re-control
Apparently the Ijust 2 coils fit the Melo, and blue is normally the code for Ni200, though the advert doesn't say so. No guarantee!
30/12/16 04:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
Havin_it Offline

Sex:

(30/12/16 04:50 PM)MDC Wrote:  
(30/12/16 09:31 AM)Given-up Wrote:  The 0.3 coil supplied with the melo 3 is kanthal.

I've stuck with the 0.5 as I found they last longer and don't use as much battery life.

Ah.

Seems like I've wasted everybody's time and braincells a bit here, for which many apologies all round.

Bit annoyed that there was nothing to tell me the coil-type of the supplied coils (as for the literature I found that mentioned SS, I'll chalk that up to my bad researching). You'd think that they'd supply TC-capable coils with a TC mod, really.

Something like this?
Apparently the Ijust 2 coils fit the Melo, and blue is normally the code for Ni200, though the advert doesn't say so. No guarantee!

Seems like the thing, although I'm now curious as to Ni200 vs Ti (the same seller on Amazon has both at the same price). Any gen to help choose between them?
30/12/16 05:46 PM
Richard46 Offline
Talking Backwards

Likes Given: 1,316
Sex: Undisclosed
(30/12/16 05:46 PM)Havin_it Wrote:  Seems like the thing, although I'm now curious as to Ni200 vs Ti (the same seller on Amazon has both at the same price). Any gen to help choose between them?

If you want quality clearly labelled wire then have a look at

http://www.stealthvape.co.uk/wire

Comments about the safe usage of Ti on there as well.

30/12/16 05:57 PM
MDC Offline

(30/12/16 05:46 PM)Havin_it Wrote:  
(30/12/16 04:50 PM)MDC Wrote:  

Ah.

Something like this?

Seems like the thing, although I'm now curious as to Ni200 vs Ti (the same seller on Amazon has both at the same price). Any gen to help choose between them?

Take a look here?
https://spinfuel.com/temperature-coeffic...oil-wires/
30/12/16 06:32 PM
Havin_it Offline

Sex:

(30/12/16 06:32 PM)MDC Wrote:  Take a look here?

Thanks, enlightening read, made things somewhat clearer. The summary (between the two available options) seems to be:

Ni200:
- Higher coefficient (better sensitivity)
- Oldest tech (best-supported by chipsets)
- Less effect on taste than Ti

Ti:
- Durable (longer life?)
- More inert (possibly safer?)
- Better for building own coils with

If all that's about correct, then Ni200 seems the better choice for someone who'd rather buy coils as consumables than make their own. Is that about right?
31/12/16 01:05 AM
MDC Offline

(31/12/16 01:05 AM)Havin_it Wrote:  
(30/12/16 06:32 PM)MDC Wrote:  Take a look here?

Thanks, enlightening read, made things somewhat clearer. The summary (between the two available options) seems to be:

Ni200:
- Higher coefficient (better sensitivity)
- Oldest tech (best-supported by chipsets)
- Less effect on taste than Ti

Ti:
- Durable (longer life?)
- More inert (possibly safer?)
- Better for building own coils with

If all that's about correct, then Ni200 seems the better choice for someone who'd rather buy coils as consumables than make their own. Is that about right?

As someone who doesn't use TC (don't see the need for it for me), it's quite difficult to decide between the two. The points you have listed are valid, but add to it that titanium is higher resistance than Nickel. Means the mod output circuits get less thrash, and stray resistance due to less than perfect contacts matters less.

I'd either not bother or try both, if availableSmiling
31/12/16 01:45 AM
Havin_it Offline

Sex:

I've reviewed the manual / searched for info online / had a twiddle about with the device, but it looks like there's no way of setting the wattage to 60W in TC mode(s) on the Pico - it always shows 75W in these modes.

If the EC TC(-Ti, -Ni) coils say max 60W (see e.g. my Amazon link posted above), does this mean they aren't usable? Or is there a trick I'm missing to alter the wattage? Or does it not matter?

Would seem a bit shoddy if using TC requires not just different coils but a different tank to the one supplied with the mod...?
03/01/17 11:36 AM
MDC Offline

(03/01/17 11:36 AM)Havin_it Wrote:  I've reviewed the manual / searched for info online / had a twiddle about with the device, but it looks like there's no way of setting the wattage to 60W in TC mode(s) on the Pico - it always shows 75W in these modes.

If the EC TC(-Ti, -Ni) coils say max 60W (see e.g. my Amazon link posted above), does this mean they aren't usable? Or is there a trick I'm missing to alter the wattage? Or does it not matter?

Would seem a bit shoddy if using TC requires not just different coils but a different tank to the one supplied with the mod...?

Where mods allow you to set watts in temp mode, it's a power cap - a limit on what the mod can put out. If the mod is set to 75w it means it can put out 75w when heating the coil from cold, so the ramp up will be fast. When the coil is up to the set temperature, the mod will drop to whatever power is required to maintain the set temperature.
03/01/17 11:54 AM
Izan Online
tactless fuck

Likes Given: 2,577
(30/12/16 04:16 PM)Havin_it Wrote:  OK, I do have one follow-up query: I'm looking at these Ti coils, are they OK for this combo?

They seem to be the ones listed as accessories on the eLeaf site, but I'm not 100% confident because (a) the Amazon listing says max 60W and the Pico seems pegged at 75W when in TC mode (or can this be changed? Not got the manual handy) and (b) the Melo 3 isn't mentioned as a supported tank in the listing.

(This post was last modified: 03/01/17 12:30 PM by Izan.)
03/01/17 12:27 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Izan's post:
wobbly (03/01/17)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)