Important: Your continued use of this forum indicates acceptance of the forum rules. Please make sure you have read and understand these rules.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Am I over tightening?
Danny55 Offline

Likes Given: 357
Sex: Male
Am I over tightening?
On my OBS Engine 1, it seems I've worn the holes on the hex screws that the screwdriver slots into, they're a bit wider now and although I can still tighten them, I can't tighten them quite as much as I used to. So I'm going to use the spare hex screws that were supplied. Is this normal or am I over tightening and they shouldn't be wearing? Takes me a while to get each coil the way I want so I'm always having to re-tighten them.

Another question. I need to buy some more wire. What is the popular choice these days? I have SS 317L in 24, 26 and 28, I mostly use 26. Should I buy 317L again or something else like 316?

08/12/18 05:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
fridgemagnett Offline

Likes Given: 1,529
RE: Am I over tightening?
Those screws are probably more like cheese than decent stainless steel. It's hard to find good machine screws - best if you can find a good engineer's supplies, though they are an endangered species. Are torx head more graunch proof than hex? Hex heads are usually pretty good ... Or have you got Pozi drive, or Phillips, screw heads?
08/12/18 05:53 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 1 user Likes fridgemagnett's post:
Danny55 (12/12/18)
Ray_of_Light Offline

Likes Given: 55
I use just an handful of RTAs, and one of the things I do on commissioning, is to replace any rogue screws since the very start.
A tap-and-die set is a very wise investment, so you can replace those screws which are neither imperial or metric, or made of soft alloys of zinc.
I do not understand the savings of few fractions of a penny, by employing a rogue screw made of tin, zinc or other soft metal or alloys, instead of required stainless steel material. Those RTAs never go for less than 25 pounds, rogue screws are unjustified.
It is extremely important that the heating / sensing wire is tightened fully, especially for TC setups.
I use RTAs almost exclusively for TC, because I use dropins for power vaping.
Even a small variation of few hundredths of an Ohm, caused by a loose or defective locking screw, will disable proper TC operation of your setup.
Imagine a 0.25 Ohm SS coil: it has 0.25 Ohm resistance at room temperature, which will raise to 0.29 Ohm at 200 C. The TC mod is designed to sense such small variation; but if your wire is loose because the screw can't be tightened because it is a rogue one, then the mod will send random power to the coil, or stop TC mode, depending on the type and design of device.

DNA mods have a special feature where, when used in conjuction with a computer running the eScribe software, can analyse a tank/coil for their suitability for TC use.
There, I have noted many TC drop in coils (which uses a rubber grommet to lock the wire) and SS Clapton / Alien wires aren't suited for TC.

As per a generic conclusion, I would say, TC is just a different and better way of vaping, but it is very demanding while, quite often, I vape like when I smoked, to focus on a specific situation, therefore I need vape to be mindless.
08/12/18 08:00 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ray_of_Light's post:
Danny55 (12/12/18)
Danny55 Offline

Likes Given: 357

Sorry for the late reply and thanks for your comments guys. Lol yeah, it does seem these hex screws are made of cheese. I don't have any pozi or phillips to replace them with, just the spare hex screws that came in the box which I'll use. Thanks for the comment regarding TC and proper wire tightening, I've had some problems and maybe that is something to do with it.

12/12/18 02:07 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Danny55's post:
fridgemagnett (13/12/18)
MDC Offline

Likes Given: 387
(12/12/18 02:07 AM)Danny55 Wrote:  Sorry for the late reply and thanks for your comments guys. Lol yeah, it does seem these hex screws are made of cheese. I don't have any pozi or phillips to replace them with, just the spare hex screws that came in the box which I'll use. Thanks for the comment regarding TC and proper wire tightening, I've had some problems and maybe that is something to do with it.

TC is something I've never felt the need to do; having tried it I use kanthal in power mode.

It's something of a compromise with the materials available. Nickel has the highest temperature coefficient, but has low resistance. SS has a more usable resistance, but temperature coefficient is much lower. This means the mod has to sense a much lower resistance change as the wire heats up, so anything less than a perfect connection will confuse the mod - some will give wrong heat, some drop back to Power mode.

Kanthal has high resistance, which is mostly good for coil winding, and virtually no temperature coefficient, which makes it well suited for power mode. SS's low coefficient makes it suitable for power mode too.
12/12/18 09:56 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes MDC's post:
watsy (12/12/18)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)