Important: Your continued use of this forum indicates acceptance of the forum rules. Please make sure you have read and understand these rules.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Are There Proper Vaping Classes I Can Attend?
Bugsy Offline

Likes Given: 7
Sex:
Are There Proper Vaping Classes I Can Attend?
Hi,

I'm somewhat beleaguered at the moment with my coil building Facepalm and I wondered if there were any classes or courses I can attend in or near Nottingham? I bought a whole heap of coil building equipment but whatever I do I get 'burnt taste' results. I put the same e-liquid in a tank with the same mod and settings and an Arctic atty and it tastes/vapes good enough. My builds look okay and fire up okay but they vape quite badly. I think I must be doing several things wrong but even after watching loads of tutorials I still can't get things right, hence my query about if there are any courses to attend. I hope this isn't a silly query BlushBlush but it's worth a shot as, even though I'm happy enough on my prebuilt Arctics, I'd really like to get better at building.

Cheers for any views/advice/help.

Bugsy
11/01/17 09:35 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
Richard46 Offline
Talking Backwards

Likes Given: 1,384
Sex: Undisclosed
RE: Are There Proper Vaping Classes I Can Attend?
You best bet might be to attend a local vape meet; if there are any in Nottingham area. There are quite a few monthly meetings over the country.

11/01/17 09:38 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
Bugsy Offline

Sex:

Thanks, yes I'll look into this!
11/01/17 09:41 PM
MDC Offline

Likes Given: 275
Sex: Male
(11/01/17 09:35 PM)Bugsy Wrote:   Hi,

I'm somewhat beleaguered at the moment with my coil building Facepalm and I wondered if there were any classes or courses I can attend in or near Nottingham? I bought a whole heap of coil building equipment but whatever I do I get 'burnt taste' results. I put the same e-liquid in a tank with the same mod and settings and an Arctic atty and it tastes/vapes good enough. My builds look okay and fire up okay but they vape quite badly. I think I must be doing several things wrong but even after watching loads of tutorials I still can't get things right, hence my query about if there are any courses to attend. I hope this isn't a silly query BlushBlush but it's worth a shot as, even though I'm happy enough on my prebuilt Arctics, I'd really like to get better at building.

Bugsy

I'm a nottingham bloke too, and I don't know of any, but there are loads of youtube tutorials about - I look those up when I'm dealing with an unfamiliar device.

As for wicking, tried the Scottish Roll? Take a pad, split into 2 skinny pads, and stretch one to 3x normal length in the easy direction, keeping the thickness as even as possible. Tear off enough for the coil along the fibre, spike one end, and drag through. If too stiff a fit, tear a bit off, if too slack, add more, so it drags through with a bit of resistance.

This technique makes wicking better - sometimes too good, but it's good for smallish coils. Lets me run mini protanks at 20w or more.

EDIT: sorry, see you have watched tutorials. Practice does make perfect though. Another thought, tried Rayon? It's more forgiving of over-packing the coil.
(This post was last modified: 11/01/17 09:50 PM by MDC.)
11/01/17 09:45 PM
@rattspitt Offline
Push the tempo

Likes Given: 1,518
http://ukvapers.org/Thread-NOTTINGHAM-VA...-MINI-EXPO

This one's in Hucknall but not until February

11/01/17 09:47 PM
Bugsy Offline

Sex:

Thanks MDC. I tried the Scottish Roll but it came out a bit highland fling when I did What? . Maybe I'm just panicking and I just need to keep on at it, which I intend to do. It took me about one and a half hours to get two wicked coils on a Sapor deck today and it vaped a bit yuk and then I gave up and went back to my Arctics. Hopefully I'll give things a go a bit each day. Thanks for the encouragement!

(11/01/17 09:47 PM)@rattspitt Wrote:  http://ukvapers.org/Thread-NOTTINGHAM-VA...-MINI-EXPO

This one's in Hucknall but not until February

Thanks for the link/info and I hope to attend! Maybe I could get someone to show me on the fly a build if I bring some some bits?!
(This post was last modified: 11/01/17 10:00 PM by Bugsy.)
11/01/17 09:55 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bugsy's post:
nisam (12/01/17)
MDC Offline

(11/01/17 09:55 PM)Bugsy Wrote:  Thanks MDC. I tried the Scottish Roll but it came out a bit highland fling when I did What? . Maybe I'm just panicking and I just need to keep on at it, which I intend to do. It took me about one and a half hours to get two wicked coils on a Sapor deck today and it vaped a bit yuk and then I gave up and went back to my Arctics. Hopefully I'll give things a go a bit each day. Thanks for the encouragement!

No problems! I have had loads of practice, though mostly with mini protanks, Trons and similar, though I've built a half a dozen different decks satisfactorily. Speed will improve too! A mate brings me 4 mini protank coils to rewick and recoil if needed, every few weeks, and that takes about 15 minutes.

I've found for my taste (warm vape, nice flavour, big clouds not essential) that I don't need high end kit, which probably makes things easierSmiling
11/01/17 10:05 PM
Bugsy Offline

Sex:

(11/01/17 09:45 PM)MDC Wrote:  

Bugsy

I'm a nottingham bloke too, and I don't know of any, but there are loads of youtube tutorials about - I look those up when I'm dealing with an unfamiliar device.

As for wicking, tried the Scottish Roll? Take a pad, split into 2 skinny pads, and stretch one to 3x normal length in the easy direction, keeping the thickness as even as possible. Tear off enough for the coil along the fibre, spike one end, and drag through. If too stiff a fit, tear a bit off, if too slack, add more, so it drags through with a bit of resistance.

This technique makes wicking better - sometimes too good, but it's good for smallish coils. Lets me run mini protanks at 20w or more.

EDIT: sorry, see you have watched tutorials. Practice does make perfect though. Another thought, tried Rayon? It's more forgiving of over-packing the coil.

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, a 'prebuilt' wick could help and I'll give it a go!
11/01/17 10:14 PM
MDC Offline

(11/01/17 10:14 PM)Bugsy Wrote:  
(11/01/17 09:45 PM)MDC Wrote:  

Bugsy

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, a 'prebuilt' wick could help and I'll give it a go!

Rayon is used much like cotton, but comes in a loose "rope" you can split, tear and use. Main thing is it doesn't swell when wet, so you can pack more in without it strangling in use.
11/01/17 10:18 PM
keepitgoin Offline

Likes Given: 52
Sex: Undisclosed
I'm in West Yorks, I'd give you a hand if you're up this way (I'm no genius, but I get a decent Vape and still cock up loads!) but surely there must be a decent Vape Shop in Nottingham who'll give you a hand. There is a quality Vape Shop, near the Bus Station, in Huddersfield (big up guys!) who will spend ages helping if you need it, surely Nottingham, as a much bigger place, must have a decent B&M??
11/01/17 11:44 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)