Important: Your continued use of this forum indicates acceptance of the forum rules. Please make sure you have read and understand these rules.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
EU draft Tobacco Products Directive: who to write to and what to say
Kate Offline
teh wholey syster

Likes Given: 168
Sex: Female
EU draft Tobacco Products Directive: who to write to and what to say
Call to action from Clive Bates. Well worth a read.

Quote:On 19th December 2012, the EU produced a a proposal for new laws controlling tobacco and nicotine products like e-cigarettes. The proposal includes a justification for the measures with draft legal text and comes with supporting documentation. It covers a wide range of issues, including: labelling and warnings on cigarette packs; branding restrictions; control of flavours and additives; tracking and tracing to prevent smuggling and counterfeiting; and measures that apply to smokeless tobacco products and nicotine-containing products like e-cigarettes. The proposed directive contains measures that make it harder or impossible for smokers to switch from cigarettes to much less dangerous nicotine products – an approach that will cause much more death and disease than it prevents. If you smoke, use e-cigarettes, or if have friends or relatives that smoke, or if you are concerned about the health damage from smoking, then this directive matters to you.

If you want to write to your MP or MEPs, the main information you need and my advice is set out below...
http://www.clivebates.com/?p=739
07/01/13 03:22 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 2 users Like Kate's post:
decanon (18/09/15), FlamingKaty (08/01/13)
garrydibley Offline
Mod Makers and Sellers

Likes Given: 305
Sex: Male
RE: EU draft Tobacco Products Directive: who to write to and what to say
Clive bates was recently talking to Dave on VTTV well worth a watch.

http://www.vapourtrails.tv/?p=4940

11/01/13 12:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 1 user Likes garrydibley's post:
Kate (11/01/13)
bogeeman Offline

Likes Given: 32
I am about to contact my MP, thought i would post my email here for any input, whether it is correct, too long winded, does it cover everything etc
Any feedback please

Dear Julie Hilling,

I am writing to you to express my deep concerns over the recent EU Proposals (Dec 19 2012) for new laws controlling tobacco and nicotine products like e-cigarettes.
There are products now included in the proposal to the EU tobacco directive that were not in before. Apperently the EU wants to determine that nicotine-containing products with a maximum concentration of 4 milligrams per millilitre will be freely available on the market. All higher concentrations have to be approved as medicinal product.
This would effectively render "Vaping" (more commonly known as using e-cigarettes) as useless to the vast majority of vapers as the level of nicotine suggested by the EU would be non effective IN KEEPING MOST VAPERS OFF CIGARETTES.
There would be no option for me and most others to return to smoking cigarettes.
I do NOT want to put my health at risk now that i have found an alternative way of using my nicotine.

I am a 56 year old male and ex smoker of 43 years starting when i was 11 years old and using 2 packets a day all of my adult life, yes 40 cigarettes a day!
In 2002 i suffered 3 heart attacks and underwent heart surgery with the insertion of 5 stents. I was very poorly for a long time and foolishly continued to smoke. Over those 10 years living with heart disease i tried many times to stop smoking. I attended smoking cessation classes at my GP's,tried patches and gum many times also, all of those efforts are documented at my GP Surgery and none of them worked over the 10 year period i was trying to stop. Every time i tried i was given a prescription costing the NHS huge amounts of money!
In January of 2012 i discovered vaping and have not had a single cigarette since, yes it worked!
I have saved a huge amount of money but more importantly my health has improved massively. I am able to breathe better, i feel better, i even smell better.
I also introduced my brother to vaping succesfully and he also has been smoke free for around 12 months.
I have joined an online community for fellow vapers which is very active and growing daily.
There are some 7 million vapers in Europe and almost a million in the UK.
How is it that cigarettes can be allowed in this country yet "e-cigarettes" which are a safer alternative can be effectively banned by the said proposal?
I am seriously worried that my life is going to be put at risk if because of these actions i have to return to smoking.
Please see http://www.ukvapers.org to see how many people this has benefited, and this is only one forum among many
I would ask what are your views on this proposal and could i come to your surgery to discuss this matter more fully.

Yours sincerely,

MODS - Caravela # 415 - GP paps Lux - Nemesis
ATTYS - Short Did - Kayfun Mini - Trident
(This post was last modified: 11/01/13 01:27 PM by bogeeman.)
11/01/13 12:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 8 users Like bogeeman's post:
Doodlebug (18/02/13), Dragonmum (24/01/13), FlamingKaty (11/01/13), garnier81 (13/07/15), googled (13/02/13), Ice-Man (02/08/15), Kate (11/01/13), Toby | iVapour (21/01/13)
AlpineNewt Offline
Paul Kendrick

Likes Given: 2,292
Judging from the responses from MEPs that have been posted in other threads the parties that vague and non-committal in their replies seem to be Labour and the Liberal Democrats. It might be better to focus more on them rather than politicians who are already on side. Not that we shouldn't write/e-mail all our regional MEPs/MPs, just that we should direct energies accordingly.

21/01/13 01:12 AM
Dragonmum Offline

Likes Given: 9,702
You can post nothing now on contact your M.Ps etc. It just comes up "subject too long"
26/01/13 07:52 PM
Dragonmum Offline

Likes Given: 9,702
Try again. Today is the 26th - where have all the posts gone between 21st and 26th? As a conspiracy theorist I find this most unnerving!
26/01/13 08:07 PM
Phil A Offline
Global Moderator
Global Moderators

Likes Given: 1,354
Nothing has been deleted from this thread - there haven't been any replies since then

I'm once again taking part in Outrun May to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Support. My update thread is here and my JustGiving Page is here
26/01/13 08:27 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Phil A's post:
Dragonmum (26/01/13)
Stobart Driver Away

Likes Given: 654
Other similar threads have been getting posts.... a case of too many threads for the topic maybe?

I didn't quit nicotine... I just chose a safer way to use it.

Big Grin
28/01/13 07:55 AM
Chronos Offline
#!/bin/vape

Likes Given: 132
@Dragonmum: Writetothem.com still works nicely. As promised, my views have been sent to the relevant "ewected wepwesentatives" and any replies received I'll post here. No statistics or dull figures which they can find out for themselves if motivated to do so, just what it will do to me if e-cigs and e-liquids are regulated to death or priced beyond the stinkies.

Still smoke-free.

What do you mean, wean myself from this dependency? I enjoy this dependency!
30/01/13 05:42 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chronos's post:
Dragonmum (30/01/13)
BlackwaterVaper Offline

Likes Given: 534
I used writetothem on 21st December and received one reply a couple of weeks later saying whoever (forgotten who) had a lot of letters and read and replied to each one personally so I'd have a long wait.
I then went to http://www.europarl.eu, found the MEPs for my area, and sent the same email to each, seperately, but each addressed to that one so it lookes as if I was only writing to them.
I've had two replies, one from a Conservartive who I think must have been quoting HiFiStud, and one from a Lib-Dem who sent identical ignorant emails to everybody. I replied to her first email with another giving her nine favourable independant studies, she thanked me and informed me that a colleague was asking a written question about the dangers of PG.
I haven't even had acknowledgements from the rest, so my third letter to the Lib-Dem will go to the rest, only they'll get the first one at the begiining of it along with the statement that this is the third time I'd written and I hoped they wouldn't continue ignoring somebody who voted for them.

That's it. Of course I have a few new studies to add for the lot.

30/01/13 06:02 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like BlackwaterVaper's post:
Dragonmum (30/01/13), FlamingKaty (30/01/13), Hoolio (30/01/13)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)