Important: Your continued use of this forum indicates acceptance of the forum rules. Please make sure you have read and understand these rules.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
EU draft Tobacco Products Directive: who to write to and what to say
AlpineNewt Offline
Paul Kendrick

Likes Given: 2,296
Sex: Male
RE: EU draft Tobacco Products Directive: who to write to and what to say
I've had three replies so far.

MP (con) has written to Jeremy Hunt and Vince Cable on my behalf, seems to have read my e-mail properly and replied personally.

MEP (UKIP) Is going to vote against any EU directive regardless.

MEP (Lib-Dem) is of the view that the Commission proposal is unbalanced, and is particularly unsatisfied with it on the point of the nicotine concentration that would be permitted under the proposals.

Haven't heard back from Labour or Conservative MEPs yet.

30/01/13 09:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
b3ast1e Offline

Likes Given: 251
Sex: Undisclosed
Mine went to our local MP today. It was a biggie too. I won't post it here but this is the parting shot:

"One final point Mr Hoban.... (I nearly accidentally called him Mr Holborn)

.... For the EU to consider carrying out these measures to
severely limit a harm reducing alternative while allowing tobacco
products to continue to be on general sale is not only gross hypocrisy,
it is undeniably favouring one highly dangerous method of nicotine
delivery over one that is already widely acknowledged to be vastly less
so. And that amounts to telling us that we should either quit, or die."

I have now also sent it to every tom dick and harry MEP too. Hopefully, between 8 course dinners and champers with their lobbyists, they might find time to read some of our concerns.

03/02/13 07:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 6 users Like b3ast1e's post:
Doodlebug (03/02/13), FlamingKaty (03/02/13), johnhep (08/02/13), poldav (16/02/13), Stobart Driver (23/02/13), Wanderer (14/02/13)
bogeeman Offline

Likes Given: 32
Just an update from me. I have received replies to all 7 of the M E P's and the one M P I wrote to.
From the MEP's 6 of them replied with the standard boilerplate letter that most people are receiving!
One MEP has invited me to his office for a chat and I am still awaiting a date for that meeting.
Now to the bit that has left me furious and pondering my next move.
You can see further up in this thread the content of the email that I sent to all of these people. You will understand my excitement when on Saturday morning I received an envelope through the door from my local MP. Yes a hard copy! I thought this was a nice touch as I had emailed her office so was thinking that there was going to be an offer of an appointment to her office to discuss further.
WOW
From Julie HIlling MP for Bolton West
I won't list the whole letter but a short summary below
Dear .......
I am writing to you regarding the email you sent me about plain cigarette packaging. I have now received a response from Anna Sourby MP, who is the minister responsible for tobacco policy.
It goes on to explain more about plain packaging etc!!!

WTF
I feel insulted and have no confidence whatsoever in this MP, as it sounds like she has not even read my email, or whoever her assistant is hasn't. This is a disgrace and an insult if this is the way she represents us.
What should my next move be?
Thanks for reading

MODS - Caravela # 415 - GP paps Lux - Nemesis
ATTYS - Short Did - Kayfun Mini - Trident
18/02/13 10:25 AM
dodderer Offline

Likes Given: 306
(18/02/13 10:25 AM)bogeeman Wrote:  Just an update from me. I have received replies to all 7 of the M E P's and the one M P I wrote to.
From the MEP's 6 of them replied with the standard boilerplate letter that most people are receiving!
One MEP has invited me to his office for a chat and I am still awaiting a date for that meeting.
Now to the bit that has left me furious and pondering my next move.
You can see further up in this thread the content of the email that I sent to all of these people. You will understand my excitement when on Saturday morning I received an envelope through the door from my local MP. Yes a hard copy! I thought this was a nice touch as I had emailed her office so was thinking that there was going to be an offer of an appointment to her office to discuss further.
WOW
From Julie HIlling MP for Bolton West
I won't list the whole letter but a short summary below
Dear .......
I am writing to you regarding the email you sent me about plain cigarette packaging. I have now received a response from Anna Sourby MP, who is the minister responsible for tobacco policy.
It goes on to explain more about plain packaging etc!!!

WTF
I feel insulted and have no confidence whatsoever in this MP, as it sounds like she has not even read my email, or whoever her assistant is hasn't. This is a disgrace and an insult if this is the way she represents us.
What should my next move be?
Thanks for reading

I would email back and just say this bit

"I feel insulted and have no confidence whatsoever in this MP, as it sounds like she has not even read my email, or whoever her assistant is hasn't. This is a disgrace and an insult if this is the way she represents us."

and with a copy of your original email.

I bet that gets a proper responseBig Grin
18/02/13 02:26 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like dodderer's post:
FlamingKaty (18/02/13), Stobart Driver (23/02/13)
Kate Offline
teh wholey syster

Likes Given: 168
Sex: Female

Clive Bates' Briefing to MEPs for European Parliament public hearing can be found here, well worth a read - http://www.clivebates.com/?p=890
24/02/13 09:16 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Kate's post:
dodderer (25/02/13), FlamingKaty (25/02/13), mike_e_j (24/02/13)
Rojeans Offline
Vendors

Likes Given: 2,461
Thanks for the link. Shared!... Fingers crossed. Very informative to the un-knowing, perhaps. (The very people who make the decissions)
Thank you Clive Bates for all the effort and input.

One of Liverpool's first and oldest 'independent' electronic cigarette shop
Now IBVTA member.
24/02/13 09:50 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
Kagesar Offline

Likes Given: 63
Lets hope Clive gets a more meaningful response than Christofer Fjellner got from our friend John Dalli.

Subject: Tobacco Products Directive and smokeless oral tobacco

"The principle of equal treatment or non-discrimination is recognised as a general principle of EC law. It requires that comparable situations must not be treated differently"

25/02/13 12:18 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kagesar's post:
FlamingKaty (25/02/13)
fatmagic Offline

Likes Given: 18
What do I do here? I am keen to see if I can have these things safely and legally allowed for use on submarines. I would like some help on who to write to and what to say. Don't really contact my MP often if I'm honest. I've got a lot to say and no idea how to say it... help anyone?

roses are red, violets are blue, I like bacon, make me a buttie...Big Grin
05/03/13 02:39 AM
Rojeans Offline
Vendors

Likes Given: 2,461
(05/03/13 02:39 AM)fatmagic Wrote:  What do I do here? I am keen to see if I can have these things safely and legally allowed for use on submarines. I would like some help on who to write to and what to say. Don't really contact my MP often if I'm honest. I've got a lot to say and no idea how to say it... help anyone?
There's a PDF here http://www.facebook.com/groups/casaamemb...381710281/

One of Liverpool's first and oldest 'independent' electronic cigarette shop
Now IBVTA member.
05/03/13 12:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
fatmagic Offline

Likes Given: 18
(05/03/13 12:04 PM)Rojeans Wrote:  
(05/03/13 02:39 AM)fatmagic Wrote:  What do I do here? I am keen to see if I can have these things safely and legally allowed for use on submarines. I would like some help on who to write to and what to say. Don't really contact my MP often if I'm honest. I've got a lot to say and no idea how to say it... help anyone?
There's a PDF here http://www.facebook.com/groups/casaamemb...381710281/

that's really helpful, thanks. How about a letter to my MP? should i do that too?

roses are red, violets are blue, I like bacon, make me a buttie...Big Grin
05/03/13 02:17 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)