Important: Your continued use of this forum indicates acceptance of the forum rules. Please make sure you have read and understand these rules.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
EU draft Tobacco Products Directive: who to write to and what to say
VaperChris Offline
Psychology Researcher

Likes Given: 77
Sex: Male
RE: EU draft Tobacco Products Directive: who to write to and what to say
(13/04/13 01:06 PM)Stobart Driver Wrote:  Thank you so much for your reply. It makes a change from the 'stock / non-committal / party line' communicae we have recieved from other MP/MEP offices.
At last it seems someone is willing to listen to the points of view of the users of e-cigarettes, or personal vapourisers (PV's), as they really should be called.

Hate to say it bud, but this is a stock email. He sent it to everyone who emailed him, there's a thread knocking around somewhere about it. Good reply though, when he does read them I think you're sure to have made your point clearly and concisely enough for him to take notice.

Hardware: ZMax v3, Mini Lavatube, eGo Twist, Multiple eGo-t 1100mAh, Vivi Nova v3, Smoktech DCT, Mini Nova, AGA-T+, Hoard of CE4's.

I'm not a vaper, but a recreational nicotine abuser Wink
13/04/13 07:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
Stobart Driver Away

Likes Given: 654
Thank you guys, lets hope it hits the spot.
Your turn now...Blush

I didn't quit nicotine... I just chose a safer way to use it.

Big Grin
13/04/13 09:20 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
Trellentor Offline

Likes Given: 372
I have gone down a slightly different route with my MP. ( frank field Labour) in asking him to investigate for himself by accessing forums such as this one and perhaps visiting one of the numerous shops opening up in our area. It is about 2am and I think I rambled a bit.

Anyway here it is. Lets see if we get a response.

Dear Sir

I would like to draw your attention to a subject that is likely to effect a large and fast growing number of people in the area both in monetary terms and more importantly, in health terms.

Smoking as we know is a killer and as a life long smoker I consider it the worst influence in my life to date.

I started smoking at the age of 12 and with the exception of a few short yet difficult interludes; I have smoked constantly throughout the last 35 years. I have been fortunate that I have not suffered a major health condition during this period but I have recently been made aware of how often I was coughing and the fact that I even coughed throughout the night in my sleep.

I have tried in the past to quit using all the normal methods such as patches, gum, pills (Champix), and of course will power. The longest time I managed to quit for was about 18 months and during that time it was a constant battle.

In January I decided to have another try and instead of the normal options, I opted to try Electronic cigarettes.
This has proved to be an absolutely incredible experience in that, not only have I managed to stop taking in the hundreds of poisonous chemicals on an hourly basis but I have also found my health improve greatly and my cough to completely vanish.
I was smoking a 50 Gram pouch of rolling tobacco every 5 days before switching which is roughly 30 'Rollies' a day.

Since switching I have not had a single cigarette nor do I want to even try them any more.

My family has commented on the fact that I no longer wheeze and colleagues at work have seen the difference in my health and have also switched to 'E Cigs' or ‘Vaping’ resulting in a similar health improvement.

My fear however is in the current moves within the EU and within parliament that may well strangle the very groups that have made this innovation; and therefore this improvement in my life; a possibility.

I am sure you will be aware of the moves to ‘regulate’ the sale of electronic cigarettes and the nicotine based liquid that fuels them.

Whilst I am not against regulation that ensure the safety of products, I am only too aware that the anti Electronic cigarette groups appear to be trying very hard to make them much less attractive to those of us who are addicted to normal tobacco products.

Many suspect that both the Cigarette companies and the Pharmaceuticals involved in selling NRT products such as patches are behind a lot of it.

There appears to be a move to reduce the levels allowed to 4mg nicotine which would effectively make me consider another option. Most medium to heavy smokers appear to use somewhere between 16mg to 24 mg liquids.

The whole point of E Cigs is the ability to replace a very harmful product with another one that does not severely impact on the enjoyment and addictive behaviour of a smoker whilst reducing the harm caused dramatically.

If these regulations or alterations to law go through, I know that I and many others will end up smoking tobacco again.

E Cigs are not a medicine. They are an alternative product that provides the same or better ‘hit’ using a similar type of application method with a huge reduction in the harmful and anti social effects.

At most they should be labelled as a harm reduction product.

Classifying them as a smoking cessation therapy will literally kill the industry and put what a product that could save millions of lives onto the scrap heap before its full effects on the nations could be measured.

I realise this is a subject which you may have never looked into but I would ask you to look at the online forums available to investigate how the ‘Vaping’ community is fearful of what is happening and how the impact of some of the proposed changes would effect hundreds of thousands of people in the UK alone.

Some of the forums are in their infancy but the E cig world is growing incredibly quickly and you will get a feel for how people who have tried them already, feel about the situation and how much it has changed lives already.

A selection of forums is below and I would hope you would look at how important this could be. I would also suggest visiting one of the shops recently opened on the Wirral who are selling these products responsibly. Perhaps speaking to other people who have switched to ‘vaping’ to get their take on how it has changed their prospects.

These include

http://www.ukvapers.org/

http://www.planetofthevapes.co.uk/forums/forum.php

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/uk-forum/

Yours sincerely

Michael

31/05/13 01:55 AM
[-] The following 3 users Like Trellentor's post:
AlpineNewt (01/06/13), blaze (31/05/13), Jonathan Bagley (31/05/13)
blaze Offline

Likes Given: 5,526
Not bad for 2am...

31/05/13 02:36 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
blaze Offline

Likes Given: 5,526
That's better than I did ...

Here's my letter, sent, I dunno 1am ish:

Dear so-and -so (my MP and MEPs)

I hope you can find the time to read this, could be a vote winner!

I stopped smoking recently, didn't mean to, it just happened. I'm still taking nicotine though.

I'm now a "vaper" (these terms are new to me). Basically you put a liquid containing Propylene Glycol (used in inhalers), Vegetable Glycol (used as a sore throat cure), nicotine (non-carcinogenic) and food-safe flavouring (I like apple) into a device that turns it into a vapour which you then inhale.

I feel no need for a cigarette, yet prior to trying "vaping", would get through 12.5g of rolling tobacco a day and had done so for too many years to admit to. I have also as a consequence spent hundreds of pounds on UK SME businesses' products. Although I haven't used one of the supermarket's e-cigs, its basically that kind of thing (although mine is much cooler, and far more satisfying).

Now I hear that the EU, and possibly, via the MHRA, the UK separately may ban these devices which, may have literally saved my life. Or at least make them untenable. The powers-that-be seem to be saying that they're "medicinal" and so need medical legislation. They aren't a medicine, they're a nicotine delivery system, much like an expresso is a caffeine delivery system. They aren't a tobacco product either.

I would like your support in supporting, even promoting these devices. The savings to the NHS could be massive.

I appreciate that a lot of revenue from tobacco taxes may be lost if PVs (Personal Vapourisers, apparently) are allowed to continue to flourish but that's kinda blood money anyhow.

I would be happy to meet up to show you an example of the thing that has replaced my daily cigarettes, and to answer any questions you may have.

yours sincerely, me

p.s. my protank just stopped working, I'm a complete noob - I'll sort it out or post it elsewhere!

31/05/13 02:46 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 1 user Likes blaze's post:
Jonathan Bagley (31/05/13)
Linda Offline

Likes Given: 731
Sex: Undisclosed
I wrote to the labour party on the 11th of this month. I received a stock reply saying this would be forwarded to the approriate person, and I would receive a response. 20 days later nothing.
31/05/13 02:38 PM
FlamingKaty Offline
Bemused

Likes Given: 28,915
Sex: Female
(31/05/13 02:38 PM)Linda Wrote:  I wrote to the labour party on the 11th of this month. I received a stock reply saying this would be forwarded to the approriate person, and I would receive a response. 20 days later nothing.

I can't believe what a colossal balls-up they've made of this Facepalm.

31/05/13 06:54 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like FlamingKaty's post:
aix123 (13/07/13), szaxe (13/07/13)
Wonko Offline

Likes Given: 2,774
Who says they have? Seems like they are doing exactly what the money says they should do, which is probably the plan. They's following the plan flawlessly, regardless of any inconvient facts or the opinions of experts. Business as normal.
31/05/13 10:40 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Wonko's post:
FlamingKaty (31/05/13)
FlamingKaty Offline
Bemused

Likes Given: 28,915
Sex: Female
(31/05/13 10:40 PM)Wonko Wrote:  Who says they have? Seems like they are doing exactly what the money says they should do, which is probably the plan. They's following the plan flawlessly, regardless of any inconvient facts or the opinions of experts. Business as normal.

I actually meant in terms of their failure to respond to constituents, either at all or on a personal/individual basis. A piss poor attitude towards the electorate.

Otherwise, yes I agree with your analysis of the situation Wink.

31/05/13 11:30 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes FlamingKaty's post:
szaxe (13/07/13)
aix123 Offline

Likes Given: 121
Hi all,
I'm going to write to various MEPs. I know what to say, but could someone be so kind as to let me know:
- The precise name of the legislation/vote and which parliament in the EU will be voting on it.
- When the vote will take place.
- Whether I am asking the MEP to vote for or against (sounds a bit silly, I know, but sometimes votes are for ammendments and I want to get it right; I think I'm urging them to vote against, aren't I?)

Thanks
13/07/13 01:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)