Important: Your continued use of this forum indicates acceptance of the forum rules. Please make sure you have read and understand these rules.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Efest battery/Trustfire charger just 'exploded'
ilsenator Offline
Steaming.

Likes Given: 78
Sex: Male
Just had some batts on charge... an Efest IMR 18650 and a Torchyboy 18650, both in a 2 bay Trustfire charger.

Heard a fizzing and a popping... the Efest was venting all over the place. Fortunately I was in the room at the time and able to unplug everything before anything bad happened. Indeed, the Torchyboy still seems fine!

But I was NOT expecting that from an Efest IMR, esp one that had only had 7-8 charge cycles and had never even left the room. And indeed, I'd thought the Trustfire charger I'd got was well trusted (bought it off the back of a specific recommendation).

Anyhoo... I won't be going with either of those brands ever again; whether they're culpable or not.

And I'm not risking that charger again. I've got a baby in the house... so what the best, safest charger on the market? Cost not an issue at this stage.
26/05/13 08:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
Anistruk Offline

Likes Given: 6
Sex:
RE: Efest battery/Trustfire charger just 'exploded'
Nitecore Intellicharge i think.

Regards
26/05/13 08:47 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 1 user Likes Anistruk's post:
ilsenator (26/05/13)
MOKE Offline

Likes Given: 1
Hi when I moved over to mods I was a little worried about the battery's and chargers myself after doing a little research I found Nitecore Intellicharge i4 hope this helps
26/05/13 08:56 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes MOKE's post:
ilsenator (26/05/13)
Hampton Offline

Likes Given: 37
(26/05/13 08:42 PM)ilsenator Wrote:  Just had some batts on charge... an Efest IMR 18650 and a Torchyboy 18650, both in a 2 bay Trustfire charger.

Heard a fizzing and a popping... the Efest was venting all over the place. Fortunately I was in the room at the time and able to unplug everything before anything bad happened. Indeed, the Torchyboy still seems fine!

But I was NOT expecting that from an Efest IMR, esp one that had only had 7-8 charge cycles and had never even left the room. And indeed, I'd thought the Trustfire charger I'd got was well trusted (bought it off the back of a specific recommendation).

Anyhoo... I won't be going with either of those brands ever again; whether they're culpable or not.

And I'm not risking that charger again. I've got a baby in the house... so what the best, safest charger on the market? Cost not an issue at this stage.

You may have gotten a rogue battery but even so the charger should have detected it. I have a TR-001 as a back up but there seem to be a few variants using the same model number ( some have a 12v input some don't).
My personal choice is a Triton 2 but I have made custom carriers for my batts.

Proud dad of a 1RA DMR
26/05/13 09:14 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hampton's post:
ilsenator (26/05/13)
ilsenator Offline
Steaming.

To be fair, the charger did shut itself off as soon as the venting started... but I'm not taking any risks!

The Triton looks like a serious bit of kit, though having just checked a few further reviews, I think the Nitecore might suffice. Might also invest in some 'safe charger bags' though, ironically, I've only found Efest branded ones thus far...
26/05/13 09:21 PM
Micky____ Offline

Likes Given: 1,077
(26/05/13 08:42 PM)ilsenator Wrote:  Just had some batts on charge... an Efest IMR 18650 and a Torchyboy 18650, both in a 2 bay Trustfire charger.

WOW lol, 72+ views and Yet 2 Replies Confused

I guess it goes to show!!! don't assume the gadget is good simply by it's namesakes, "Trust" As if !!!
I wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw it....

I doubt the battery was at fault even though it vented, but the charger should have coped with overcharge/discharge or even a fault in the battery prior to the event, recognized an Issue about to occur and switched Off..... Regardless why or whatever was at fault.
Also it shows the quality of Torchy batteries as it was the Efest that vented being one or the other had to, Efest is safe chemistry, There is Nothing wrong with the brand but as with all batteries they still have the potential of going Thermal and in this case it did..

I'm Glad you and family are ok and it got contained..

Get a decent charger and let this be a warning to any who have Trustfire crap.. or similar..
http://www.nitecore.co.uk/chargers/intel...ge-i4.html 22 quid delivered Thumbs Up
26/05/13 09:25 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Micky____'s post:
ilsenator (26/05/13)
Tmax Offline
Dr Stanley Clark's Snake Oil
Vendors

Likes Given: 186
Thanks for posting about your experience - I use Trustfire chargers......

Or until my new nitecore one arrives

Charging too much of the time to take chances - Thanks guys

26/05/13 10:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
ilsenator Offline
Steaming.

(26/05/13 09:25 PM)Micky____ Wrote:  Also it shows the quality of Torchy batteries as it was the Efest that vented being one or the other had to, Efest is safe chemistry, There is Nothing wrong with the brand but as with all batteries they still have the potential of going Thermal and in this case it did..

Aye... and the Torchy batt was an unprotected one!

Though it was Torchy's website where I read that the Trustfire TR001 had been proven as better than others on the market... not sure what it was up against though (Probablefire and Definitelyexplode?)

Regardless, have checked all the features and specs of the Nitecore, and believe I'm in safer hands there (already ordered). As for future battery purchases, sticking with Torchy for unprotected and back to AW for protected. Plus I'm giving up the pulse method for oxidising wicks (seems to be the only potential user-error that may have damaged the batts).

Not gonna have enough power to get through the bank hol though Sad back to my trusty Vision Spinner in the meantime Clapping
26/05/13 10:30 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes ilsenator's post:
JustPoo (26/05/13)
Hampton Offline

Likes Given: 37
(26/05/13 09:21 PM)ilsenator Wrote:  To be fair, the charger did shut itself off as soon as the venting started... but I'm not taking any risks!

The Triton looks like a serious bit of kit, though having just checked a few further reviews, I think the Nitecore might suffice. Might also invest in some 'safe charger bags' though, ironically, I've only found Efest branded ones thus far...

You can pick up the Triton 2s for about £20 off FleaBay, they are an investment, with a little tinkering for our use. At the end of the day... (it gets dark)... what price do you put on your house or family? Flame bags are all well and good but the primary link is the charger.

Proud dad of a 1RA DMR
26/05/13 10:36 PM
Drudeboy Offline
Tw*t

Likes Given: 29
(26/05/13 09:25 PM)Micky____ Wrote:  

WOW lol, 72+ views and Yet 2 Replies Confused

I guess it goes to show!!! don't assume the gadget is good simply by it's namesakes, "Trust" As if !!!
I wouldn't trust it as far as I could throw it....

I doubt the battery was at fault even though it vented, but the charger should have coped with overcharge/discharge or even a fault in the battery prior to the event, recognized an Issue about to occur and switched Off..... Regardless why or whatever was at fault.
Also it shows the quality of Torchy batteries as it was the Efest that vented being one or the other had to, Efest is safe chemistry, There is Nothing wrong with the brand but as with all batteries they still have the potential of going Thermal and in this case it did..

I'm Glad you and family are ok and it got contained..

Get a decent charger and let this be a warning to any who have Trustfire crap.. or similar..
http://www.nitecore.co.uk/chargers/intel...ge-i4.html 22 quid delivered Thumbs Up

On the contrary, it is more likely to be the battery than the charger.
26/05/13 10:48 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)