Important: Your continued use of this forum indicates acceptance of the forum rules. Please make sure you have read and understand these rules.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hobbed Goblin
Stevethesax Offline
Out, damn'd spot

Likes Given: 345
Sex: Male
Hobbed Goblin
With a stack of work to be getting on with, and the temperature in the shed at 90 degrees f - it seemed like the perfect day to sort out that damned Goblin mini that's been sat in my To-Do tray for months.

I really like the design and form-factor of this dinky little atty, but it's completely useless if you want a MTL vape. It's just way too airy.
The problem is the size of the air tube beneath the coil. It's vast.

The solution is obvious, reduce the size of the air tube. But how?
I could fill it up with silver solder (not soft solder) and then drill a new hole, but that would mean bringing the deck up to red hot...and it leaves a lot of cleaning up to do.
I could fill the hole with some kind of epoxy, but what kind...and what might the toxicological implications be?

So I decided to go old-school and simply bash a piece of stainless steel into the hole.

Clearly I wouldn't get very far just bashing any old lump of steel in...so I had to shape a rod of steel until it more or less fit. The dimensions of the existing hole aren't critical, and the base loooked like it could take up a very small amount of deformation...which should ensure a press fit and a very good seal.
Only one way to find out....hit it wi' a hammer...

Well, that went well - and having cut off the excess I just have to grind down the top and make it all nice and neat.

Time to cut the Goblin a new hole.
I went for 2mm, given that this size has worked well on other atties I've used/modded - and with a bit of careful setting up in the lathe (left a bit, right a bit...as you were...) a new hole was drilled through the plug.

And here's the hobbed Goblin.
I reckon I got the size of the hole just about right. With the airflow control all the way closed the draw is a spot-on MTL (matches my Kayfuns) - and with it fully open it's what I'd call a restricted lung vape. Being picky I'd say that I maybe could have gone for 1.5 or 1.75mm, which would have given me a bit of leeway down the closed end of the airflow control...but meh, it's more than good enough as is.

It now vapes like a champ, and I'll see later how it compares on flavour with the Kayfuns (using my Rich Pipe test liquid). At the very least it's one less thing in the To-Do tray.
Now...where did I put that naughty 2ml extension tube...
19/06/17 10:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 2 users Like Stevethesax's post:
colonelcolt (19/06/17), Izan (19/06/17)
SarahF Offline

Likes Given: 621
Sex: Female
RE: Hobbed Goblin
nice work.
19/06/17 11:05 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
marlowejames Offline

Likes Given: 2,171
Impressive Thumbs Up I agree, loved the form factor of the Goblin, but that air hole together with the leaking if your wicking wasn't up to standard were frustrating. If you're into MTL I can wholeheartedly recommend the SKX Doggy if you aren't aware found here:

https://www.fasttech.com/p/6353800

Great MTL tank and a very similar form factor to the goblin.

19/06/17 11:25 AM
MDC Online

Likes Given: 275
(19/06/17 11:25 AM)marlowejames Wrote:  Impressive Thumbs Up I agree, loved the form factor of the Goblin, but that air hole together with the leaking if your wicking wasn't up to standard were frustrating. If you're into MTL I can wholeheartedly recommend the SKX Doggy if you aren't aware found here:

Saved me saying it!Smiling Got 4, 2 more on the slow boat. Great tank, totally leak free, doddle to coil and wick.
(This post was last modified: 19/06/17 11:53 AM by MDC.)
19/06/17 11:52 AM
Stevethesax Offline
Out, damn'd spot

(19/06/17 11:25 AM)marlowejames Wrote:  Impressive Thumbs Up I agree, loved the form factor of the Goblin, but that air hole together with the leaking if your wicking wasn't up to standard were frustrating. If you're into MTL I can wholeheartedly recommend the SKX Doggy if you aren't aware found here:

Gawd, not another atty to buy!

I'm slightly dubious given that I got the Goblin 'cos folks said it was good for MTL, and I bought one of those Fasttech tanks that uses the GS coil....but it's a pain to re-coil and it whistles like a happy pig.

But I know how it goes...I'll find some money in my paypal account and then knock a few beers back before browsing the Chinese sites - and before I know it I'll have three of the buggers in my basket.
19/06/17 12:12 PM
marlowejames Offline

Likes Given: 2,171
(19/06/17 12:12 PM)Stevethesax Wrote:  

I'm slightly dubious given that I got the Goblin 'cos folks said it was good for MTL, and I bought one of those Fasttech tanks that uses the GS coil....but it's a pain to re-coil and it whistles like a happy pig.

But I know how it goes...I'll find some money in my paypal account and then knock a few beers back before browsing the Chinese sites - and before I know it I'll have three of the buggers in my basket.

I agree fairly often opinions are purely subjective, however my KFL+'s haven't been used since these arrived from China and I've now got 4 of them on the go with different flavours. Will almost certainly order another couple and for me personally it's not just the MTL single coil vape, but the practicalities regarding filling and re-wicking, not to mention that these so far have been 100% leak free. At under $11 each with their MAP code they are also one of the cheapest tanks I've ever bought. Crazy prize for a great MTL tank.

19/06/17 12:27 PM
MDC Online

(19/06/17 12:12 PM)Stevethesax Wrote:  

Yeah, been there myselfSmiling Got the Goblin 1 (Mine has two fat air holes?) and found myself clouding at 50w! Then mopping up leaks.Sad No longer used.

The mini tank (GS Air coils) is a nice little thing, and works quite well, without leaking. GS Air coils aren't the easiest thing to rebuild though, and juice capacity is tiny. As I have some things more usable, it's rarely used now.

The Doggy style is a different animal thoughSmiling Absolutely MTL, brilliant at 15-25w, wicking is just a matter of pushing cotton through the coil, wetting and easing down the channels, to touch the deck.

I suspect the total absence of leaks is down to the air flow being narrow enough for MTL. You may find the choking of the air hole improves the Goblin?

Only mixed blessing is that it's polycarb. Less prone to breakage, but some corrosive fluids might be unsuitable. Never had a problem myself though.

These, and Tron-S are my go-to tanks. Got a pair of Triton minis during the TPD sales, and though not bad, the Doggy is better, and I don't have to buy new coils for it (or work at rebuilding a coil not really meant for the job).
19/06/17 12:37 PM
Stevethesax Offline
Out, damn'd spot

Just noticed it has a poly tank. Bit of a bummer as often use a couple of 'tank crackers' (menthol, anissed etc).
19/06/17 12:59 PM
MDC Online

(19/06/17 12:59 PM)Stevethesax Wrote:  Just noticed it has a poly tank. Bit of a bummer as often use a couple of 'tank crackers' (menthol, anissed etc).

I've run Hangsen Menthol Sensation in a cheap thin plastic clearomiser, no problems. Don't know about Aniseed though. Never had a clouded tank yet. I like fruit flavours and tobacco mostly. I have wondered if the increased regulation of e fluids has reduced the number of tank crackers. Some big name products use Polycarb nowadays, particularly where the tank is threaded. I'd still get one or two though, and keep them for safe juices.

Got two in front of me now, on a pair of Pico mods, really compact setup. One running some drip-drop black currant, the other home brewed custard. Intense flavour at 20w, both of themSmiling
19/06/17 01:31 PM
Stevethesax Offline
Out, damn'd spot

I guess I could always take a chance - and if the worst comes to the worst I can always knock up a stainless steel tank.
19/06/17 02:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)