Important: Your continued use of this forum indicates acceptance of the forum rules. Please make sure you have read and understand these rules.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hobbed Goblin
MDC Offline

Likes Given: 275
Sex: Male
RE: Hobbed Goblin
(19/06/17 02:07 PM)Stevethesax Wrote:  I guess I could always take a chance - and if the worst comes to the worst I can always knock up a stainless steel tank.
You can buy spare tank shells, I have a five pack just in case the threads wear out. No problems after a couple of months though - I'm always careful doing them up though, plastic thread on steel.

As for making a steel tank,you must have some pretty impressive kit! Be even better with a juice window.
19/06/17 02:27 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
Stevethesax Offline
Out, damn'd spot

Likes Given: 345

(19/06/17 02:27 PM)MDC Wrote:  You can buy spare tank shells, I have a five pack just in case the threads wear out. No problems after a couple of months though - I'm always careful doing them up though, plastic thread on steel.

As for making a steel tank,you must have some pretty impressive kit! Be even better with a juice window.

Yup, I always get spare tanks. Things roll off tables, get sat on or simply just break when you're a bit heavy handed.

I've made a few steel tanks. It's not generally very difficult when you have a lathe. Most of them will be plain tubes, some might have (metric) threads. Putting a juice window in is a whole 'nother kettle of fish, though - but I usually find the juice takes on a bit of a different flavour as the tank nears empty anyway.
19/06/17 03:25 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
MDC Offline

(19/06/17 03:25 PM)Stevethesax Wrote:  
(19/06/17 02:27 PM)MDC Wrote:  You can buy spare tank shells, I have a five pack just in case the threads wear out. No problems after a couple of months though - I'm always careful doing them up though, plastic thread on steel.

Yup, I always get spare tanks. Things roll off tables, get sat on or simply just break when you're a bit heavy handed.

I've made a few steel tanks. It's not generally very difficult when you have a lathe. Most of them will be plain tubes, some might have (metric) threads. Putting a juice window in is a whole 'nother kettle of fish, though - but I usually find the juice takes on a bit of a different flavour as the tank nears empty anyway.

This would be a bit more of a challenge than a tapped tube! there is no separate top plate. The tank shell requires a top with a hole to take a threaded insert which attaches to the tank chamber.
19/06/17 04:15 PM
Stevethesax Offline
Out, damn'd spot

Likes Given: 345

(19/06/17 04:15 PM)MDC Wrote:  This would be a bit more of a challenge than a tapped tube! there is no separate top plate. The tank shell requires a top with a hole to take a threaded insert which attaches to the tank chamber.

I see what you mean. It's fiddly, but still doable. You'd either cut the tank out of a solid rod (bit of a waste of time/material) or you'd make the top plate separately and fix it to the tank.
Probably the easiest way would be to thread the top cap on - though it looks like a friction fit would work too.
It's a lot of work though...and you'd have to really, really like the atty to make it worthwhile.
19/06/17 04:42 PM
MDC Offline

(19/06/17 04:42 PM)Stevethesax Wrote:  
(19/06/17 04:15 PM)MDC Wrote:  This would be a bit more of a challenge than a tapped tube! there is no separate top plate. The tank shell requires a top with a hole to take a threaded insert which attaches to the tank chamber.

I see what you mean. It's fiddly, but still doable. You'd either cut the tank out of a solid rod (bit of a waste of time/material) or you'd make the top plate separately and fix it to the tank.
Probably the easiest way would be to thread the top cap on - though it looks like a friction fit would work too.
It's a lot of work though...and you'd have to really, really like the atty to make it worthwhile.
I do like the thing that much! It's one of the two best MTL tanks I've ever used, but fortunately for me, polycarbonate isn't a problem.
19/06/17 05:38 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes MDC's post:
Stevethesax (19/06/17)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)