Important: Your continued use of this forum indicates acceptance of the forum rules. Please make sure you have read and understand these rules.

Poll: Have you contacted your MEPs' about EU e-cig regulation?
I have contacted my MEPs'
Not yet, but I intend to contact them in the future
I am not going to contact my MEP
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 4 Average
How many people have contacted their MEPs' ?
Onceupon Offline
Defrosted lump of gristle

Likes Given: 137
Sex: Male
RE: How many people have contacted their MEPs' ?
(09/01/13 04:28 PM)JayLavEnts Wrote:  The silence from ECITA is palpable, and I imagine (hope) that at this, our greatest hour of need, they are indeed doing what we need.

Quote:Forgive the long silence – we’ve been locked in the cellar, working hard on researching the ins and outs, ups and downs, and twists and turns of the revisions to the Tobacco Products Directive. More to follow on this soon…

http://www.ecita.org.uk/blog/

Onceupon swapped cigarettes for e-cigarettes yonks back
In that time, over a million kids started smoking in the UK alone

UKV Chat: Not a medicine but a forum alternative.

http://grumpyoldvapers.webs.com
09/01/13 05:04 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
JayLavEnts Offline
Retailer- London
Vendors

Likes Given: 470
(09/01/13 04:37 PM)gillas Wrote:  9 have voted out of 65 that have viewed it (top of thread)

I think you misad my post Gill,

(09/01/13 04:28 PM)JayLavEnts Wrote:  Nobody has voted "not yet", yet...

I meant that only the "yes" people voted because everyone else is guilty lol.

(09/01/13 05:04 PM)Onceupon Wrote:  
(09/01/13 04:28 PM)JayLavEnts Wrote:  The silence from ECITA is palpable, and I imagine (hope) that at this, our greatest hour of need, they are indeed doing what we need.

Quote:Forgive the long silence – we’ve been locked in the cellar, working hard on researching the ins and outs, ups and downs, and twists and turns of the revisions to the Tobacco Products Directive. More to follow on this soon…

http://www.ecita.org.uk/blog/

Good spot, 1up, I figured they'd been in the broom cupboard with a pile of books or a pile of lawyers.

JayLav Enterprises
E-Cigarettes supplies, advice and Education
@Jaylavents
Coming soon! New Ecig Lounge Bar in London!
London's Independent Vaping Vendor
Vape free, Vape happy
(This post was last modified: 09/01/13 05:08 PM by JayLavEnts.)
09/01/13 05:06 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
Matt Gluggles Offline
Vendors

Likes Given: 1,011
Sex: Undisclosed

It is a private/secret poll - you cannot tell who has voted and what for - so people can feel free to vote honestly for any option.
09/01/13 05:08 PM
JayLavEnts Offline
Retailer- London
Vendors

Likes Given: 470
(09/01/13 05:08 PM)Gluggler Wrote:  It is a private/secret poll - you cannot tell who has voted and what for - so people can feel free to vote honestly for any option.

TOo guilty to vote, even.

JayLav Enterprises
E-Cigarettes supplies, advice and Education
@Jaylavents
Coming soon! New Ecig Lounge Bar in London!
London's Independent Vaping Vendor
Vape free, Vape happy
09/01/13 05:09 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes JayLavEnts's post:
Matt Gluggles (09/01/13)
gillas Offline

Likes Given: 18
Sex:
Had this reply today (he is the same MEP that represents HiFi Stud from VTTV)

Thank you for your email setting out your thoughts on a proposal issued by the European Commission to amend current European law concerning the manufacture, presentation and sale of tobacco and related products.

Among the products to be affected by the proposed changes are electronic inhalers, commonly known as personal vaporizers or e-cigarettes, which vaporize a liquid solution containing nicotine into an aerosol mist which is then inhaled to simulate the act of smoking tobacco. The Commission proposes to limit the amount of nicotine in solutions sold for use in electronic cigarettes to four milligrams of nicotine per millilitre, unless the products have been classified as for medicinal use. This would render the solution too weak to be a viable source of nicotine for smokers or ex-smokers, or would require manufacturers to apply for a costly licence to manufacture medicinal products.

You are not alone in contacting me on this issue - many constituents feel similarly strongly. I have examined the arguments and I see the potential e-cigarettes offer as harm-reduction devices to improve human health. I am particularly convinced by the fact that e-cigarettes offer concentrated nicotine to addicts without the 4000 toxins and carcinogens found in tobacco smoke, that use of e-cigarettes removes the risk posed to non-smokers (and especially to children of smokers) by second hand smoke, that e-cigarettes appeal to adult smokers seeking to quit but not generally to children or those not yet addicted to nicotine, that traditional nicotine replacement therapies proposed by the NHS and the pharmaceutical industry have had very limited success in helping smokers quit permanently, and that thousands of British e-cigarette users (and millions across the EU and the world) are likely return to smoking if the directive is amended as foreseen and nicotine concentrations are limited to 4mg/ml. I have no doubt that this will lead to a large percentage of such users dying of smoking-related diseases they might otherwise have avoided, with all the personal and societal consequences this would mean. Such arguments have led me to conclude that the proposed changes to limit permitted concentrations of nicotine solution sold in the EU are counter-productive and will do much more harm than good.

Changes to EU tobacco legislation have been expected for some time but were delayed by the recent resignation of the previous European Commissioner for Health and Consumer Affairs, John Dalli. His replacement, Tonio Borg, has expressed a desire to change the law before his mandate expires in June 2014. To prevent the proposed changes concerning e-cigarettes and all the negative consequences that would arise, we must work hard in the year ahead to build solid majorities in both the Parliament and the Council.

As a member of the Parliament's Committee on the Environment, Public Health and Food Safety I will do everything in my power to make the arguments and convince other MEPs of the foolishness of diluting nicotine solution to the point of uselessness. I would also encourage you to raise awareness among others in the vapourizing community. The internet offers considerable opportunities to draw the attention of a wide audience to the issue and to contact your elected representatives quickly and easily. If you have not already done so I would encourage you to write to your MP and request him to raise the matter in Westminster , and persuade other e-cigarette users to do the same. If we bring to the attention of the public, the political world and the media the strong arguments in favour of e-cigarettes as a harm reduction device and the number of lives which can be saved through their use, we have a very strong chance of winning the argument.

I would also be happy to receive your comments and suggestions as we move through the legislative process. I have offices in the UK and in Brussels and if there is anything else you would like to bring to my attention, please do not hesitate to get in touch. I am here to work on your behalf and represent your interests and would be delighted to hear from you.

With very best wishes for a happy and prosperous 2013,

Martin Callanan

Conservative Member of the European Parliament for the North East

Leader, European Conservatives and Reformists Group

Sent: 07 January 2013 08:46
To: CALLANAN Martin
Subject: Draft EU Directive
09/01/13 06:08 PM
[-] The following 8 users Like gillas's post:
Boadacia! (07/02/13), Cliffy (08/02/13), DaveK (09/01/13), FlamingKaty (09/01/13), garfield2002 (08/02/13), JayLavEnts (09/01/13), Johanino (08/02/13), Matt Gluggles (09/01/13)
lazydog Offline

Likes Given: 665
In the past when I have contacted mp's they have wrote back via snail mail usually 2 letters the first just an acknowledgement.
This time I have had only 2 out of 3 acknowledgement emails nothing from the MEP
I will be phoning up to book a meeting tomorrow as in the instance we have not got time to waste.

e-Cigcoupons
Midlands Vaping
Vaping Cloud Radio

Handle life as a dog does. If ya can't eat it or Hump it. Piss on it & walk away.
09/01/13 06:30 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes lazydog's post:
Matt Gluggles (09/01/13)
tommy2bad Offline

Likes Given: 445
Sex:
Haven't sent any emails, I'll send them with snail mail and follow up with calls. Called my local TD (thats our version of MP) and got an answering machine, presumed holiday closure.
Written letters going out this week, email at the same time, will follow up with phone call if all I get back is a standard 'we got your letter and are looking into it' reply.
09/01/13 06:43 PM
DaveK Offline
Global Moderator
Global Moderators

Likes Given: 807
Interesting that one person doesn't intend to contact their MEP - I wonder why that is!

09/01/13 08:10 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
BlackwaterVaper Offline

Likes Given: 534
Sex: Female
I've contacted all of my MEPs and my MP.
I've had one reply, from Catherine Bearder, the same words I think, saying that I'll be able to get eliquid on prescription when it is licensed and agreeing that vaping just might be less harmful than cigarettes, but mentioning that there is evidence it damages the lungs (discredited Athens non-study).
The one I've telephoned so far who sees nobody, I had an email saying he;'ll reply in 4 weeks time. So I'll phone again tomorrow and say that's too late.
Had one other acknowledgement, before Christmas, that it would take a long time before I had a reply. Two others I had read receipts from emails but no more.
Sometime in several weeks time I'll probably get a reply from my MP's secretary, had an acknowledgement. I'll phone there again and try and arrange a visit but the Education Secretary probably has better things to do.
Tomorrow I'll settle down to a phone session.
I also learnt that MEPs ask for email specifically.

09/01/13 11:26 PM
lazydog Offline

Likes Given: 665
be interesting to see a poll in a few week of which mp/meps did reply and what time frame
They do know they work for us dont they I think we should cut their holidays next year if they cant get the work done Wink

e-Cigcoupons
Midlands Vaping
Vaping Cloud Radio

Handle life as a dog does. If ya can't eat it or Hump it. Piss on it & walk away.
09/01/13 11:52 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)