Important: Your continued use of this forum indicates acceptance of the forum rules. Please make sure you have read and understand these rules.

Poll: Have you contacted your MEPs' about EU e-cig regulation?
I have contacted my MEPs'
Not yet, but I intend to contact them in the future
I am not going to contact my MEP
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Votes - 4 Average
How many people have contacted their MEPs' ?
marlowejames Offline

Likes Given: 2,169
Sex: Male
RE: How many people have contacted their MEPs' ?
(16/05/14 02:36 PM)Agenthoover Wrote:  Im probably going to get slapped and kicked about the head for this.... but you are all wasting your time ... when are people going to wake up... where money and government is concerned ....you are going to lose... you can protest, riot, petiton, shout and scream as much as you want there is no way any government is going to watch billions of pounds/dollars just walk out the door due to tax loss.... and thats exactly what this is all about, if just half of the UK alone were to quit smoking the amount of lost revenue would be obcene....No governmet on earth is going to accept that...Unless of course they can think of a way to scam the lost billions out of the ecig market, In which case you might have a little hope,,.... let the slapping comence.

Personally I believe that the "tobacco taxation" argument whilst important is actually a red herring as the £12 billion or so obtained from tobacco taxation is under 2% of Governments total expenditure and could if necessary easily be replaced from other tax. Crucial I believe to the financial argument is the simple fact that life long smokers die 10 years before non smokers. Imagine that smoking didn't exist and in the UK alone this would mean 20% of the population over time living up to 10 years longer and the long term financial repercussions of this equate to an additional annual cost of £70 billion of state pensions at today's prices - or 10% of today's Government expenditure. The demographics of an increased elderly population is well known as is the financial pressures of fewer tax payers having to pay for more pensioners and and smokers actually reduce this pressure, as they die younger. This additional Government expenditure would have to be found and the 80% of current non smokers would all see their tax bills increase. Add in the fact that both Pharma and Tobacco are important to UK's balance of trade payments notwithstanding the corporation tax that results from profitable Tobacco and Pharma companies who implicitly gain because of tobacco smoking and you have a complex financial justification which results in a strong political motivation to ensure that the less harmful ecig does not replace the tobacco cigarette. Financially and politically the ecig replacing tobacco smoking is bad news for every faction (Govts, Big T, Big P, Tobacco Control, etc etc) who all stand to be net losers financially should the humble ecig replace tobacco smoking. Sadly, the only financial winners are the tobacco smokers who if they are allowed the option of using ecigs will not only save themselves money, but will also benefit from using a product that will not reduce their life by up to 10 years, but financial and political considerations are deemed more important than actually reducing the harm from tobacco smoking and I've yet to see any political evidence that this isn't the case.

Basically the 20% of smokers living shorter lives is considered a lesser evil (or maybe a greater good if one's looking for justification) than having to increase future taxes for the 80% of non smokers to actually pay for the future increased lives of the "ecig induced" non smoking population.
27/07/14 10:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 5 users Like marlowejames's post:
FlamingKaty (28/07/14), Hugh Crummond (27/07/14), Markse (27/07/14), poldav (27/07/14), Stobart Driver (27/07/14)
Noddy Hodler Offline
Increasingly frustrated vaper

Likes Given: 27
Sex: Undisclosed
I've posted this a separate thread but, just to ensure greater exposure, here it is again.

https://twitter.com/tweetminster/lists/ukmps/members

A list of all MP's twitter accounts - can't hurt to tweet as well as email/write - plus there's greater visibility as everyone else that follows them will see what's been tweeted - including the media!
30/11/14 04:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
babyfarkmcgizax Offline

Likes Given: 0
Sex: Female
Got a reply from my MP for Neequay & St Austell, Steve Double

Dear Emma,

Thank you for contacting me about electronic or e-cigarettes.

I recognise that e-cigarettes have been the subject of much debate in recent years both domestically and at the EU level, particularly since the European Commission published its proposal for a revised Tobacco Products Directive.

I am assured that throughout negotiations on the revised Directive, the UK Government was clear that it did not want to force these increasingly popular products off the market. However, it was also very aware of the concern that e-cigarettes should not become attractive to young people. Additionally, in recognising how novel e-cigarettes are, it wants the emerging e-cigarette market to be monitored closely.

The Government's position on the regulation of e-cigarettes is that Ministers wish to see them widely available but with stronger consumer safeguards on quality and safety. I am glad that the Government also wants to retain the ability to monitor their wider impact, and specifically to ensure that they are not being marketed to young people or used as a tool for recruiting new smokers.

In March of 2014, European Union member states formally adopted the revised Directive, including the provisions for regulation of electronic cigarettes. Article 20 of the Directive will subject electronic cigarettes to consumer products legislation, with specific additional regulatory requirements unless they fall under the definition of a medicinal product.

I hope this information is useful and thank you again for taking the time to contact me.

Kind regards,

Steve

Steve Double MP
Member of Parliament for St Austell and Newquay
0207 219 4408
0755 506 9714
26/07/15 10:03 PM
trashcanman Offline

Likes Given: 1
Sex:
^^^ I can offer a translation of your MPs politician speak ^^^^

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Emma,

Thank you for contacting me about electronic or e-cigarettes.

I have heard of this stuff but I have no idea what it all means

I recognise that e-cigarettes have been the subject of much debate in recent years both domestically and at the EU level, particularly since the European Commission published its proposal for a revised Tobacco Products Directive.

I have heard of this stuff but I have no idea what it all means

I am assured that throughout negotiations on the revised Directive, the UK Government was clear that it did not want to force these increasingly popular products off the market. However, it was also very aware of the concern that e-cigarettes should not become attractive to young people. Additionally, in recognising how novel e-cigarettes are, it wants the emerging e-cigarette market to be monitored closely.[/color]

I have heard of this stuff but I have no idea what it all means but I have heard from some of my colleagues that it is best not to rock the boat. After all the tobacco and pharmaceutical companies are good for this country, employ many thousands of people and I now have a free holiday in Barbados to look forward to.

The Government's position on the regulation of e-cigarettes is that Ministers wish to see them widely available but with stronger consumer safeguards on quality and safety. I am glad that the Government also wants to retain the ability to monitor their wider impact, and specifically to ensure that they are not being marketed to young people or used as a tool for recruiting new smokers.

I have heard of this stuff but I have no idea what it all means but I now have it confirmed, we are flying 1st class and the hotel is 5 star and all inclusive.

In March of 2014, European Union member states formally adopted the revised Directive, including the provisions for regulation of electronic cigarettes. Article 20 of the Directive will subject electronic cigarettes to consumer products legislation, with specific additional regulatory requirements unless they fall under the definition of a medicinal product.

I have heard of this stuff but I have no idea what it all means but I have to get to Heathrow, our flight leaves in 3 hours!

I hope this information is useful and thank you again for taking the time to contact me.

I hope this stops you asking any more awkward questions ...

Kind regards,

Steve
21/10/15 10:57 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes trashcanman's post:
NorthStaR (22/10/15)
Captain_Vapor Offline

Likes Given: 15
Sex:
Not voted yet, I did do the whole vote last time when the e cig scare was about, but is this one really t he one that will change vaping ?, because if memory serves me correctly people said that last time
19/11/15 12:47 PM
vapegrl Offline

Likes Given: 18
Sex:
Ok, so I had a couple of replies from my local MEPs
No idea wtf they're going on about:

REPLY 1.
Quote:Dear *******

Jane Collins MEP has asked me to reply to your e-mail of 28 December 2015 about the Tobacco Products Directive and its implications on e-cigarettes.

As you know the revised EU Tobacco Products Directive (2014/40/EU) will replace existing legislation on regulating the sale and manufacture of tobacco products. The Directive also introduces the regulation of e-cigarettes and herbal products and will apply from 20 May 2016.

Although this is an EU Directive the UK government had flexibility in how it might choose to implement the new rules. The UK Government consulted on this subject throughout 2015
" to seek further information on the impact of the Directive and flexibilities to inform the government’s final decisions on implementation"
As a result the UK Government has chosen not to take up all the derogations available under the Directive and to introduce regulations that go further than that required to simply transpose the EU Directive into UK legislation.

It is clear from the documents the UK Government has made available that the Government was influenced by the "effect of the planned closures of the two remaining UK based tobacco manufacturers on production of tobacco products in the UK"

Jane is not unsympathetic to the points you raise but as an MEP she has limited influence over how the UK government chooses to interpret and implement EU Directives. Jane will be monitoring the situation as she believes e-cigarettes to be a useful alternative to traditional cigarettes for those wishing to give up smoking.

I will forward your concerns to Douglas Carswell the UKIP MP but you may like to raise the issues with your own MP too.

Yours sincerely

Catherine Mullen
Assistant to Jane Collins MEP

REPLY 2.
Quote:Dear ******,

Thank you for your email dated 28 December about new legislation on e-cigarettes.

First and foremost, I think it is important to clarify that there are no plans to ban e-cigarettes. Instead, the European Council and European Parliament approved a revision of the Tobacco Products Directive two years ago. The revised EU Tobacco Products Directive (2014/40/EU) was adopted by the EU on 29 April 2014 and will replace existing legislation on regulating the sale and manufacture of tobacco products and for the first time regulate e-cigarettes and herbal products – it must be transposed into UK law by 20 May 2016.

The revised EU Tobacco Products Directive (TPD) was agreed by MEPs and Ministers from 28 national governments; it represented a compromise between the positions of both sides during the debate. Many governments - including the UK government - wanted all e-cigarettes to be authorised in the same way as nicotine patches and chewing gum (using the medicines licence system), whereas the majority position in the European Parliament was to regulate them in a similar way to tobacco products.

The European Parliament's key demand was to reject the initial proposal in the revised TPD that all e-cigarettes need a medicines licence. Parliament won on this and on its three key demands to allow: a high strength threshold, flavourings, and refillable e-cigarettes. The agreement means that e-cigarette manufacturers have the option of having their products treated like tobacco products - i.e. they can be sold freely, as long as they meet certain safeguards. E-cigarette manufacturers who wish to do so can still apply for a licence (medicines route) and would be able to advertise, have their products available on the NHS in the UK and sell stronger strength products.

The main purpose of the revised TPD was to regulate e-cigarettes – there is nothing on banning e-cigarettes in either EU or UK legislation. Both I and other Labour MEPs were motivated by concerns for public health. However, we do recognise the health benefit of products that can help people quit smoking, but consumers rightly assume that if a product is freely available on the market, then it is safe; we wanted the regulation of e-cigarettes to ensure this is the case. We also wanted to ensure that these products were not being used as a gateway to nicotine addiction and smoking by young people.

Hereafter, because the EU Directive was approved in 2014, it is now up to individual Member States like the UK to decide upon the extent of its implementation. In view of this, I would therefore encourage you – if you have not already done so – to raise your concerns with your local MP who, according to the postcode you have provided, is Sarah Champion. Her email address is sarah.champion.mp@parliament.uk. For your reference, last year the UK government held a public consultation on the revised TPD which closed on 3 September.

Thank you for writing to me about this important issue and I hope this information is helpful.

Yours sincerely

Linda McAvan MEP
Yorkshire and the Humber

Constituency Office: 79 High Street, Wath-upon-Dearne, South Yorkshire S63 7QB
Tel: 01709 875665
http://www.lindamcavanmep.org.uk
08/01/16 02:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)