Important: Your continued use of this forum indicates acceptance of the forum rules. Please make sure you have read and understand these rules.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How often to change coil?
Alexoferith Offline

Likes Given: 1
Sex:
How often to change coil?
Hi, I wonder if anyone with experience can help me? I have been vaping for a month now. I have an IJoy Solomini Elf 80W. And I didn't know better as I bought two more tanks. So, I have three tanks. Each with two coils, one is 0.5 ohm and the other is 0.7 ohm. During this month, I have been trying so many different juices. I have over 30 bottles of different flavours. Yes, I know. I should have done a bit of research first about DIY juice. Anyway, that is another different matter. The question I want to ask is how often should I change the coil? I mean throw the old one, in the new one. From the forum, I learnt that I can wash the tank, the coils.etc., under the tap. But I noticed that this works well with juice that hasn't got a strong taste. For instance, any tobacco one will leave a strong taste behind. And some of the fruity ones, like Apple and lime. It can totally change the taste of the next juice I put in there. And for this matter, I am slightly confused or should I say, they all taste the same. Your suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
21/10/17 04:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
MDC Offline

Likes Given: 289
Sex: Male
RE: How often to change coil?
(21/10/17 04:01 PM)Alexoferith Wrote:  Hi, I wonder if anyone with experience can help me? I have been vaping for a month now. I have an IJoy Solomini Elf 80W. And I didn't know better as I bought two more tanks. So, I have three tanks. Each with two coils, one is 0.5 ohm and the other is 0.7 ohm. During this month, I have been trying so many different juices. I have over 30 bottles of different flavours. Yes, I know. I should have done a bit of research first about DIY juice. Anyway, that is another different matter. The question I want to ask is how often should I change the coil? I mean throw the old one, in the new one. From the forum, I learnt that I can wash the tank, the coils.etc., under the tap. But I noticed that this works well with juice that hasn't got a strong taste. For instance, any tobacco one will leave a strong taste behind. And some of the fruity ones, like Apple and lime. It can totally change the taste of the next juice I put in there. And for this matter, I am slightly confused or should I say, they all taste the same. Your suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
There are no hard and fast rules for this - depends on juice content, amount used and personal tolerance. Sling the coil when flavour is muted or there is a burning.

I use rebuildable coils and generally change the cotton wick and dry burn the coil if the flavours are different. Washing a wicked coil is not very effective, the gunk is frequently sticky.
21/10/17 04:09 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
Stevethesax Offline
Out, damn'd spot

Likes Given: 346
Your best bet might be to get hold of a couple a cheap single-coil drippers. You'll have to learn how to make and wick your own coils, but it's no more complicated than mixing your own juice.
They're pretty much essential if you're going to be doing a lot of flavour testing.
21/10/17 05:27 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stevethesax's post:
Barnweld (22/10/17)
PixelChef Offline
Insanity without the S

Likes Given: 305
Sex: Undisclosed
While I don't own a Ijoy Elf, the coil is (almost) identical to the popular Aspire Nautilus coils. (you can use the full range of Nautilus coils with the Elf, which is a bonus).

I used to get just over a week out of a nautilus coil using 60/40 VG/PG baccy flavours. I did try washing them with hot water, letting them dry and re-using them, and while this had an effect, it didn't work wonders. These coilheads are really designed to be disposable.

+1 on using a basic dripper to test new flavours (this would be the best option tbh). If you aren't up for fully rebuildables, there are 'rewickable' coilheads from the likes of Naturevape (and others Wink). When changing flavours, all you have to do is remove the old wick, dryburn, rinse and rewick with fresh cotton. It's a doddle and the coil itself can last for months.
21/10/17 07:59 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes PixelChef's post:
Barnweld (22/10/17)
incmo Offline

Likes Given: 3
a weak on nautilus coils and almost 2 weaks on triton/atlantis coils in TC
06/12/17 11:16 AM
Amazing Vape Offline

Likes Given: 1,074
A lot of time, I don't know. I just change the coil if I have to. I get to the point of it tasting different (namely with tobaccos) but never to the point in which you can tell it tastes like a coil that's been too used.
I get like 60 ml from each BVC but I guess I could get more. As others have said, there isn't a rule.

A site about the facts and history of vaping (but most probably never): http://www.amazingvape.weebly.com
06/12/17 10:54 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)