Important: Your continued use of this forum indicates acceptance of the forum rules. Please make sure you have read and understand these rules.

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3.33 Average
Important update from ECITA: legal advice re prospective bans
bogeeman Offline

Likes Given: 32
Sex: Male
RE: Important update from ECITA: legal advice re prospective bans
+1

MODS - Caravela # 415 - GP paps Lux - Nemesis
ATTYS - Short Did - Kayfun Mini - Trident
15/02/13 08:37 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
evilscoop Offline

Likes Given: 20

15/02/13 09:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 2 users Like evilscoop's post:
Boadacia! (06/07/14), FlamingKaty (15/02/13)
Doodlebug Offline
Professional Interest
Professional Interest

Likes Given: 1,485
Sex: Undisclosed

(15/02/13 12:30 AM)NorthStaR Wrote:  
(14/02/13 10:28 PM)Doodlebug Wrote:  We discussed all the issues for both UK and EU level. The legal experts reckon we have a strong case, particularly with regard to proportionality, and we shall be getting an official Opinion from a QC in the next couple of weeks. They described the proposed Directive as possibly being 'legally flawed' in several respects, which means we have a good chance of mounting a successful legal challenge.

Did our Human Rights play any part in it?

The denial of something far less harmful (if harmful at all) in favour of either the failed NHS NRT or the death sentence of returning to tobacco. (Or should I say in favour of Contracts & Tax - specifically ineffective treatments, tobacco and death generated taxes. Money, the root of all evils.)

I did bring that up, yes. It may have some legs, but there are other, so much more obvious (and fatal!) flaws that it just makes sense to hit them hard with those first. Also, it would be very difficult to fight the Human Rights angle as businesses, and of course, this is ECITA taking this forward on the legal arguments side, at this stage.

I specifically asked about the possibility of doing some sort of 'class action' on the Human Rights angle, with a view to a few thousand of you guys (and I'd be more than happy to jump into that myself, as a vaper) but the legal expert felt that this might be difficult because of some rather mundane technicalities. (I could elaborate, but it's just not really a 'go-er'.) Fortunately, we won't need it in order to be able to stop the rot.

(14/02/13 10:28 PM)Doodlebug Wrote:  We shall continue to fire on all cylinders, and will be asking for your help in getting the right messages to the right people in each of your constituencies in the coming weeks. I hope we can count on your support as we all join together for this crucial fight.

100%. Is (or will) there be a template of sorts that I (we) could use to have a consistent/professional letter/email to use for this?
It would be useful if we could have a message to send containing the correct and clearly defined information to our local powers. Something as bullet proof as possible. (Apologies if there is one and I haven't discovered it)

I shall be drafting a handout (possibly today) and will then be asking everyone to get it to their MPs and MEPs in each of your constituencies. Obviously, if anyone doesn't agree with what it says, I wouldn't expect them to co-operate, but I believe it will be summarising the most important information we NEED them to understand - and most importantly, ACT on! Smiling

(14/02/13 10:28 PM)Doodlebug Wrote:  This is not an industry fighting for its survival in isolation; this is a fight for every single one of us who has discovered vaping - and it is a fight for our lives. We hope you will join us as we take the fight to them, rather than waiting for them to attack us even further.

100000% Big Grin

Thank you very much indeed for posting this thread and for all your hardwork Doodlebug. It is a very positive and encouraging message.

Thank you again so very much. Big Grin

PS: (Don't laugh too much!!) I actually had a nightmare the other night that all my ejuice was missing due to the proposed ban/regulation. The bottles were all dry and empty. Seriously, no lie, my wife actually woke me up it was that bad! I'd hate to have this right taken away, I've only just discovered it and it's already changed my life and those around me for the better. Quitting altogether just isn't feasible for me. I very rarely drink so this is my only little vice in that respect.

I can well believe it! For myself personally I'm not all that bothered. My card is marked after all, and no longer smoking but vaping can't save me now anyway. But I remain ever conscious of the fact that my kids lost their Dad when he was 31. I truly believe that vaping could prevent other needless and traumatic family losses in the future - possibly for many thousands if not millions of families. This idiocy and deceit MUST not be allowed to continue.

If I have anything to do with it, you'll have eliquid for as long as you want it - you and everybody else, now and for evermore. Amen! Tongue

Cheers,

Katherine[/color]

15/02/13 09:40 AM
[-] The following 12 users Like Doodlebug's post:
Boadacia! (06/07/14), Dragonmum (15/02/13), FlamingKaty (15/02/13), Grinder (15/02/13), HappyVaping (15/02/13), johnhep (15/02/13), kenbo (09/01/16), Lydia (18/02/13), malister (15/02/13), mike_e_j (15/02/13), Rojeans (15/02/13), russ2116 (25/06/13)
NorthStaR Offline
Gone walkabout...

Likes Given: 8,697
Thank you so very much for addressing my queries and for all you are doing Katherine.
15/02/13 10:30 AM
JayLavEnts Offline
Retailer- London
Vendors

Likes Given: 470
As always Katherine, I strongly support your efforts and the work of the founder members.

This thread has sent a shiver down my spine- one of relief, perhaps, an adrenaline rush of hope in the uncertainty.

I hope I get to meet you someday and thank you in person.

Best,

Jonny

JayLav Enterprises
E-Cigarettes supplies, advice and Education
@Jaylavents
Coming soon! New Ecig Lounge Bar in London!
London's Independent Vaping Vendor
Vape free, Vape happy
15/02/13 11:20 AM
[-] The following 2 users Like JayLavEnts's post:
Doodlebug (15/02/13), Stobart Driver (23/02/13)
trog100 Offline
Vendors

Likes Given: 11
Quote:.. and finally gives credence to the ciggielike companies that (obviously) want freedom of vaping and e-smoking to prevail...
.. no matter what other snobbery of users of better devices are out there...

ironic but very true toby..

trog

15/02/13 11:50 AM
Doodlebug Offline
Professional Interest
Professional Interest

Likes Given: 1,485

Thanks, Jonny.

15/02/13 11:51 AM
nosscar Offline

Likes Given: 3
lets hope this all works out for the good of the people like me who having smoked 2 packs a day for over 40 yrs and has never been able to give up before. I have now not touched tobacco since starting vaping in june last year and feel healthier and less smelly for it too. And my wife loves it as i dont have to keep leaving her to go for a smoke outside when we are on a night out. The people should be allowed to choose what we put or do not put in our bodies without big brother watching over and dictacting to us. As Citizen Smith would say "Power to the people".

Vaping is better than sex (you have not seen my wife)
15/02/13 11:55 AM
[-] The following 5 users Like nosscar's post:
Doodlebug (15/02/13), FlamingKaty (15/02/13), Grinder (15/02/13), Perseas (15/02/13), russ2116 (25/06/13)
NorthStaR Offline
Gone walkabout...

Likes Given: 8,697
We should never have given up our Rights to Bear Arms much like the pressure on the US population (it was English Law before the USA took it with them).
The entire point of it is to stop things like this happening, true power to the people.
15/02/13 03:20 PM
kenny Offline
Vaping nic addict

Likes Given: 7,722
You are doing a grand job Katherine and its reassuring to know that ECITA is on side. Cool

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. - Ben Franklin (1706-1790)

15/02/13 04:06 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes kenny's post:
Doodlebug (15/02/13)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)