Important: Your continued use of this forum indicates acceptance of the forum rules. Please make sure you have read and understand these rules.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Intermediate Kit Purchase help
mellow yellow Offline

Likes Given: 12
Sex:

RE: Intermediate Kit Purchase help
(20/01/17 12:56 PM)MDC Wrote:  Where you build to metal posts with screws, the wire will be just Kanthal or SS or Ti etc.

Where you have longer legs from the coils which are trapped by a rubber bung as per ECR, CLR and mini protank coils, you can do the same, but there is benefit in using NR-R-NR wire.

Typically the wire is a length of nickel wire welded to a length of Kanthal, which is welded to another length of nickel. You wind the coil so the welds are as near to the ends of the coiled wire as possible, so the coiled part is kanthal and the legs are nickel.

Nickel, being much lower resistance than Kanthal, does not heat up much. This is efficient, as much less heat is wasted in the legs, and it protects the insulating bung from singeing.

You can make NR-R-NR wire with a spark welder, of buy it from Fasttech. 100 wire bundles for a few quid.

cheers, makes perfect sense now thanks, i guess it is possible to get different gauges? i have read the following online, so will use it as a guide.
26 gauge, 9.5 wraps, 2.5mm inside diam, = approx 0.4ohms. but that is with Ti, not sure if kanthal will require different numbers?.... either way i wont be rushing into anything and getting the proper stuff....
i'll need to get some more coils for the ego soon so might get a load of stuff from fasttech.

i'll have a practice with the stuff included with the ecr anyway to see how that goes, although its not clear what wire was in the pack on 1st look so not sure how i can calculate how to adjust it from the 1.0ohm set up to something around .4 to .5
20/01/17 01:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
MDC Offline

Likes Given: 251
Sex: Male
(20/01/17 01:12 PM)mellow yellow Wrote:  
(20/01/17 12:56 PM)MDC Wrote:  Where you build to metal posts with screws, the wire will be just Kanthal or SS or Ti etc.

Where you have longer legs from the coils which are trapped by a rubber bung as per ECR, CLR and mini protank coils, you can do the same, but there is benefit in using NR-R-NR wire.

Typically the wire is a length of nickel wire welded to a length of Kanthal, which is welded to another length of nickel. You wind the coil so the welds are as near to the ends of the coiled wire as possible, so the coiled part is kanthal and the legs are nickel.

Nickel, being much lower resistance than Kanthal, does not heat up much. This is efficient, as much less heat is wasted in the legs, and it protects the insulating bung from singeing.

You can make NR-R-NR wire with a spark welder, of buy it from Fasttech. 100 wire bundles for a few quid.

cheers, makes perfect sense now thanks, i guess it is possible to get different gauges? i have read the following online, so will use it as a guide.
26 gauge, 9.5 wraps, 2.5mm inside diam, = approx 0.4ohms. but that is with Ti, not sure if kanthal will require different numbers?.... either way i wont be rushing into anything and getting the proper stuff....
i'll need to get some more coils for the ego soon so might get a load of stuff from fasttech.

i'll have a practice with the stuff included with the ecr anyway to see how that goes, although its not clear what wire was in the pack on 1st look so not sure how i can calculate how to adjust it from the 1.0ohm set up to something around .4 to .5

With NR-R-NR wire you get what you are given - the resistance of the Kanthal wire plus a tiny bit for the nickel. FT sell lots of different values though.

With ordinary wire, resistance is proportional to the wire length, and inversely proportional to the square of the wire diameter.

So, half the length, half the resistance. Half the diameter, four times the resistance per unit length. You can obviously vary both either way, check out the steam engine web site coil calculator.

Not sure why you want to go to 0.5 ohms?
20/01/17 04:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
mellow yellow Offline

Sex:

(20/01/17 04:05 PM)MDC Wrote:  With NR-R-NR wire you get what you are given - the resistance of the Kanthal wire plus a tiny bit for the nickel. FT sell lots of different values though.

With ordinary wire, resistance is proportional to the wire length, and inversely proportional to the square of the wire diameter.

So, half the length, half the resistance. Half the diameter, four times the resistance per unit length. You can obviously vary both either way, check out the steam engine web site coil calculator.

Not sure why you want to go to 0.5 ohms?

just coz thats what the standard coils are roughly, no other reason. But i will try the ecr which is pre built to 1.0, perhaps that will change my mind.
20/01/17 04:51 PM
mellow yellow Offline

Sex:

Cracked my melo glass in the sink so back on with the cleito now lol. Added a pack of new ones to my fasttech order now.

The shopping list is getting very long now.
21/01/17 10:24 AM
mellow yellow Offline

Sex:

i tried the ECR last night, just at the standard build of 1.0ohms, its not a bad vape at 25w, but this morning its giving a burned taste already, only a couple of hours use last night.

i also took a cleito coil to pieces, i'll have a go at rebuilding one soon i think, it looks a bit tricky to get the vertical coil snug but i'll give it a shot.
31/01/17 10:54 AM
MDC Offline

Likes Given: 251
Sex: Male
(31/01/17 10:54 AM)mellow yellow Wrote:  i tried the ECR last night, just at the standard build of 1.0ohms, its not a bad vape at 25w, but this morning its giving a burned taste already, only a couple of hours use last night.

i also took a cleito coil to pieces, i'll have a go at rebuilding one soon i think, it looks a bit tricky to get the vertical coil snug but i'll give it a shot.

I've had no issues with the ECR after a few months, but I'm not a habitual DTL user, so I've not thrashed it. I also rebuilt the beast before use, so wicking is different to the stock coil.
31/01/17 12:59 PM
pfaber11 Offline

Likes Given: 0
Sex:
I would go for an Alien and a tfv8 cloud beast and miss out the middle man.
22/04/17 10:43 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)