Important: Your continued use of this forum indicates acceptance of the forum rules. Please make sure you have read and understand these rules.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Luxe Mods Product Reviews
luxe02 Offline
Mod Vendors

Likes Given: 70
Sex: Male
Have started this section for your reviews Folks Smiling
10/10/13 11:43 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
Kennychew7988 Offline

Likes Given: 3
Need review?...already one of the best mod. Superb....the only comment I gave
25/10/13 10:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kennychew7988's post:
luxe02 (26/10/13)
joeyramone Offline
Left Voluntarily

Likes Given: 3,034
RE: Luxe Mods Product Reviews
Ok, I'll start with the truth. I was on the first list for the Versa on the Pit...and am ashamed to admit that I pulled out because I had overspent at the time on other stuff and just couldn't justify another mod. After that, I kinda forgot about it...not completely, but it was just there in the background along with a host of other new stuff that was around a few months ago. Then, Bart's madness happened and while catching up that drama, I also did more reading up about the actual mod and liked what I read, especially certain reviews by some guys who have earned my respect over time. So, as I had gathered some funds from a couple of sales (thanks Yellowpiss) it was time to see if this thing was as good as others had said.

A mint condition Versa hybrid popped up on the classies here (cheers Paul), the gathered funds quickly left my Paypal account...and the joy of awaiting vapemail began. Like many others on here, I love the vapemail buzz, but in all honesty, in 9 times out of 10 the anticipation is far better than the actual receiving. There is so much top gear out there that looks stunning, but either just doesn't suit me when it's in my hand or exhibits some small niggly issue after a few days that puts me off it. I often feel that I'm being too fussy and perfectionist for moving stuff on again but, on the other hand, if we paid £100+ for an item in many other areas of our life, we'd want to be perfectly happy with it. Vaping kit, to me anyway, is no different, and unless it "feels" right for me (and I can tell that very quickly) then it's gone again because I can't afford to collect or horde. Anyway, I'm drifting. The point that I'm slowly getting to, is that when I opened the Versa package at work, it was one of those rare wow moments. The Versa is the opposite of all the disappointing buys of the past, in that it doesn't look "all that" in the photos (well it didn't with the V1, but some of those V2's look snazzy) but when it's in the hand it is stunning. Stunning in it's simplicity, stunning in the workmanship, stunning in its finishing and stunning in the way it just feels quality. Many of my previous disappointment niggles have been around the switches - I know that many modders struggle with this component - but so many are just poor, either in design or operation or, very often both. Not the Versa. The first thing I noticed was the threading in the switch, which is as smooth as any I've used and has a thread-length that I've only seen comparable on Zen's hybrids...but unlike the Zen's wobblefest of a switch, the Versa combines the security of the long thread with a perfectly designed recessed button that has no danger of firing when stood but fires with the lightest touch of flesh. This quality and attention to detail is replicated at the opposite end of the tube, and the threading on both the the inside of the topcap and within the 510 connection are satisfyingly secure yet silky. The mod is finished with a very well-made and well-fitted brass adjustable 510 pin, into which fits a brass screw that ensures the fitting of all batteries without the dreaded rattle. All this means that, although this was bought as a hybrid, as a standalone mod the Versa is as good as anything out there and is a match for any atty it's paired with.

The Versa atty follows the mod in that it is also cleverly designed and well-crafted but deceptively simple. That is what appeals to me most about this kit...it has no unnecessary bells and whistles, all the focus has been on what is needed for what we, the users, need it to do and do it well. For instance, some may think that having to fit your choice of two separate caps to offer a variation in draw and styles is basic when there already exists the option of combining all that within the one cap...but I've been there, tried that and been mighty disappointed. For me, personally, the ability to swap from 1mm to 1.2mm by physically changing to a cap that has been accurately machined for that purpose is a far better option than messing about with those irritating adjustable topcaps. If there is a slight negative it was the use of threading on the caps because, although not an issue at the moment as the airhole does line up with the coil, it may over time and with use become troublesome. However, credit to Andy for taking on board feedback on this minor issue and resolving it by changing to the preferable option of push on/ o-rings for all current and future production. The design, specs and placement of the components of the atty deck makes it easy to set up but with plenty room around the posts, which is important for my preference of coiling the wick before fitting it to the atty.

I've found that it wicks and vapes perfectly well with any set-up I've tried, but my preference is for a SS rope with with a topping of 400 mesh and 3/4 wraps of .25 kanthal. There is an occasional drop of condensation or two when using the shielded cap, but if anyone finds a quick wipe with a tissue is too much hassle then maybe vaping's not for them Wink Finally, a much under-estimated component of kit is the drip tip. I came to the conclusion a long time ago that the quality, shape and size of the tip can make massive differences to my enjoyment of the vape...both positively and negatively. The Versa tip that came with the hybrid is a little gem - wonderfully made and finished with an opening that is wide enough to allow a generous mouthful of vapour and flavour.

In conclusion, if you're looking for bling, copious engravings, adjustable caps or caps with multiple airholes, a mod that some atties wont fully screw onto or an atty that wont fully screw onto another mod, recessed negative screws that allow you to while away an hour or two attempting to coil then remove hotspots, lockrings or sticking buttons...then don't buy a Versa cos it's not for you. It's for folk who like to get what they pay for, which is a simple, well-made, solid piece of engineering that does what it's supposed to, and does it well. So well, in fact, that I've since contacted Andy and purchased a hybrid dripper which I'm glad to report is of a similarly high standard in both build and performance.

(This post was last modified: 30/10/13 09:41 PM by joeyramone.)
30/10/13 08:27 PM
[-] The following 7 users Like joeyramone's post:
luxe02 (01/11/13), Mandro (30/10/13), rickr55 (30/10/13), RobT (11/06/14), Ruin2 (30/10/13), Shaboo (01/11/13), VapinStevens (04/01/14)
rickr55 Offline

Likes Given: 45
Enjoyed reading that Frank.
Have one myself and wholeheartedly agree with you fantastic hybrid,like yourself not too keen on the threaded top cap and would prefer push on,but as you say Andy has taken this on board and changed it on the V2,making it even better

30/10/13 08:55 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like rickr55's post:
joeyramone (30/10/13), luxe02 (01/11/13)
Vapid Offline

Likes Given: 939
I can only echo what Joeyramone says here, the Versa is certainly right up there with the best devices I've had - simple, elegant, understated and functions superbly in all it's configurations.

Fine#02#22:Juggernaut#34:MISTerV3 x2:ProVariV2:Don:PapsLUX:Piccolo:Versa Hybrid/Dripper
GenesisLV:HFMiniMega:LineSS:NahualV2:Nahualon:Spheroid
30/10/13 11:49 PM
[-] The following 3 users Like Vapid's post:
itsmeitis (09/11/13), joeyramone (31/10/13), luxe02 (01/11/13)
Ruin2 Offline

Likes Given: 250
Thanks Frank, great write up. I've had the hybrid dripper for a couple of weeks now and its easily the most satisfying mod I've owned. Took me a while to get used to the recessed switch, and the weight of it, but now I'm loving both. Like you say, its simplicity is the standout factor. Opening the package took me back to the joy of getting my very first mod - an SD mk1 Wink - just a plain hunk of metal that fits perfectly in the hand and does exactly what you expect it to.
30/10/13 11:57 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Ruin2's post:
joeyramone (31/10/13), luxe02 (01/11/13)
Kennychew7988 Offline

Likes Given: 3
This mod too well made...best among all mods I got....
31/10/13 09:36 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kennychew7988's post:
luxe02 (01/11/13)
Shaboo Offline

Likes Given: 56
Great review and sums the device up in a nutshell Clapping

I'm fortunate in that I have a V1 (purchased at Vapefest) and the new V2. Both are exceptional quality and build and as you've pointed out, with the V2, Andy has gone for the double O-Ring top cap fitting which is much better. The addition of a second negative terminal also allows for all sorts of wicking options of the Atty. Personally, I get plenty of vapour from the single wick but Hey! I'm no cloud blower HeHe!

Can't wait to add a Dripper to the family and have a go at that Thumbs Up

"Live in the spirit that takes away the occasion of all war!"

01/11/13 01:31 PM
vape king Offline
no friends in this game.

Likes Given: 536
my little review..love it got the hybrid dripper and hybrid...all i can say his love it ..switch his amazing.cant say alot apart from its brill ..well worth ever ypenny.not used anything else .should off bought this these combos a long time a gWinnerWinnerWinnerWinnero

STRATUM+NEXTINY/RATBLACK REV4B/HF EXOCET
08/02/14 08:39 PM
Sunvapes Offline

Likes Given: 4

\m/ Let There Be Vape \m/
12/04/14 10:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)