Important: Your continued use of this forum indicates acceptance of the forum rules. Please make sure you have read and understand these rules.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Smoant Battlestar ticking?!
bongobreak Offline
Professional sitter and talker

Likes Given: 312
Sex: Male
Smoant Battlestar ticking?!
Just got one of these from GearBest on a flash sale (arrived yesterday)....really good price and a decent little budget mod - I'm really liking it so far....

...but it ticks - like a watch!

It only does it when it's turned on however, and it's a relatively quiet ticking.

I noticed it last night on my bedside table when I was dropping off to sleep.

Has anyone else got one of these, and noticed this?

It's not a big deal, I'm just curious, and it serves as a reminder to turn my mods off at night anyway....so I suppose it's a good thing really.

(Mine's the yellow one....not that the colour would make any difference....just thought I'd share....and this may also be the reason it was in a sale! Big Grin )

12/12/16 12:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
Sibod Offline

Likes Given: 16
RE: Smoant Battlestar ticking?!
Haven't got the battlestar but i get the same thing happen on my RX200....
12/12/16 12:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 1 user Likes Sibod's post:
bongobreak (12/12/16)
bongobreak Offline

Interesting.

I have an RX200S and that's silent....strange your RX200 should tick - apart from the screen, they're identical aren't they?

Wonder if the Battlestar and RX200 use similar chips?

I don't pretend to know about the manufacture of these things....maybe they're all made in the same factory....are Smoant and Wismec related somehow?

12/12/16 12:17 PM
anditweighsaton Offline

Likes Given: 1,483
My understanding is that the chip is constantly sending a signal every few milliseconds. Unless there's no power to the chip, it's always 'ticking over'. That's probably what you hear. I'm no expert though! I'll let the experts take over and correct me Thumbs Up
12/12/16 12:24 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like anditweighsaton's post:
bongobreak (12/12/16), nisam (12/12/16)
bongobreak Offline

Makes sense anditweighsaton.

It's a slower tempo however....I'd say it's about once a second.

Strange that it's the only one in my collection that does it - I have a number of 'budget' mods.

12/12/16 12:32 PM
MDC Offline

Likes Given: 240
Sounds like the heartbeat. Most mods when operated and not firing send a short pulse to the coil every second or so to monitor its resistance. The pulse is too short to heat the coil significantly, and stops when the display goes out.

Not sure why it's audible though.
12/12/16 12:54 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes MDC's post:
bongobreak (12/12/16)
bongobreak Offline

Heartbeat? That's a rather poetic way of looking at it....I like it! Smiling

It ticks even when the display is off however, it stops when I do the 5 clicks though.

It's logical that it would be some sort of electronic pulsing.

Curious.

12/12/16 01:04 PM
MDC Offline

(12/12/16 01:04 PM)bongobreak Wrote:  Heartbeat? That's a rather poetic way of looking at it....I like it! Smiling

It ticks even when the display is off however, it stops when I do the 5 clicks though.

It's logical that it would be some sort of electronic pulsing.

Curious.

Ticks when the display is off? That's not ideal, the mod should be taking minimum power when not lit up. The processor should be idling, just sensing the buttons.
12/12/16 01:14 PM
bongobreak (12/12/16)
bongobreak Offline

(12/12/16 01:14 PM)MDC Wrote:  Ticks when the display is off? That's not ideal, the mod should be taking minimum power when not lit up. The processor should be idling, just sensing the buttons.

Hmm, I'm a little worried now!
Although there hasn't been an appreciable drop in battery life so far....no more than I would expect, I've only had it a day or so though - I'll keep an eye on it.
It works fine, currently have an Augvape Boreas on it, with two 2.5mm claptons - 0.31 ohms and running it at 60 watts.

I'll monitor battery life to see if it's draining faster than it should be.

12/12/16 01:35 PM
MDC Offline

(12/12/16 01:35 PM)bongobreak Wrote:  
(12/12/16 01:14 PM)MDC Wrote:  Ticks when the display is off? That's not ideal, the mod should be taking minimum power when not lit up. The processor should be idling, just sensing the buttons.

Hmm, I'm a little worried now!
Although there hasn't been an appreciable drop in battery life so far....no more than I would expect, I've only had it a day or so though - I'll keep an eye on it.
It works fine, currently have an Augvape Boreas on it, with two 2.5mm claptons - 0.31 ohms and running it at 60 watts.

I'll monitor battery life to see if it's draining faster than it should be.
I would't worry about it really, but I always 5 click my mods before putting them to sleep at nightSmiling They're also 5 click off when in my pocket, just in case.

I guess you could test it by leaving the mod on but unused for a few days, see if there's any drop.
12/12/16 01:47 PM
bongobreak (12/12/16)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)