Important: Your continued use of this forum indicates acceptance of the forum rules. Please make sure you have read and understand these rules.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
So... this is how it goes with doctors.
Amazing Vape Offline

Likes Given: 1,119
Sex: Male
So... this is how it goes with doctors.
Or physicians if you like the word better.

Somebody I know, a friend of the family, somebody that's really, really addicted to cigarettes, went to see the doctor.

"Don't use those ecigs. They'll be even worse for you than smoking", I think the good doctor told him.

Sure, he may end up having a heart attack or a stroke, definitely COPD, whatever. But electronic cigarettes are pure poison, so it seems.

During the weekend, there was like some kind of tea party at one of my sister in law's house and I started vaping and she said: "I don't want smoke here!" First time ever.
Guess where that came from?

What I think is doctors have a huge responsibility but they can be just too humanly stupid. How much does he know about ecigs? Nothing, I assume. But the doctor said. And me, well, I'm just an addict, you know...

A site about the facts and history of vaping (but most probably never): http://www.amazingvape.weebly.com
(This post was last modified: 17/04/18 10:47 AM by Amazing Vape.)
17/04/18 08:49 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
MDC Offline

Likes Given: 327
RE: So... this is how it goes with doctors.
(17/04/18 08:49 AM)Amazing Vape Wrote:  Or physicians if you like the word better.

Somebody I know, a friend of the family, somebody that's really, really addicted to cigarettes, went to see the doctor.

"Don't use those ecigs. They'll be even worse for you that smoking", I think the good doctor told him.

Sure, he may end up having a heart attack or a stroke, definitely COPD, whatever. But electronic cigarettes are pure poison, so it seems.

During the weekend, there was like some kind of tea party at one of my sister in law's house and I started vaping and she said: "I don't want smoke here!" First time ever.
Guess where that came from?

What I think is doctors have a huge responsibility but they can be just too humanly stupid. How much does he know about ecigs? Nothing, I assume. But the doctor said. And me, well, I'm just an addict, you know...

Are we talking Portugal or UK here? A few years ago, I was cautioned about vaping by a nurse, and when I challenged her to explain, she mumbled "emphysema". Since then, I've had no discouragement from medical staff. The PHE 95% safer statement may finally be sinking in.

I do know of one chap who went back to tobacco when he says the doctor mentioned popcorn lung, but that was a couple of years ago.
17/04/18 09:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
Amazing Vape Offline

Likes Given: 1,119

We're talking Portugal, sure. And we may be talking lots of other places too, probably most.

A site about the facts and history of vaping (but most probably never): http://www.amazingvape.weebly.com
17/04/18 09:38 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
MDC Offline

Likes Given: 327
(17/04/18 09:38 AM)Amazing Vape Wrote:  We're talking Portugal, sure. And we may be talking lots of other places too, probably most.

I get the impression that Portugal is less vape friendly than the UK. Tax on nic fluid and no vaping in public places? While we have TPD inflicted upon us by the EU, the general mood and education seems to be improving.
17/04/18 09:50 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
nisam Offline

Likes Given: 3,392
Sex:
There's no accounting for arseholes.

You might expect that a physician would seek to educate themselves, but many prefer to receive updates on medical advancements from pharmaceutical companies.
17/04/18 10:06 AM
[-] The following 4 users Like nisam's post:
Amazing Vape (17/04/18), Izan (17/04/18), Loganberry (17/04/18), Milla101 (17/04/18)
Milla101 Offline

Likes Given: 44
Sex:
Find a younger doctor. One who is more up to date with modern medical science.
In the UK it appears to me (I maybe wrong) that once qualified our GP's don't learn or update there training / methods as medical science progresses apart from pushing the drugs they are told to.

For example I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. My doctor who should have retired 20 years ago was insisting that I had to follow the seriously out of date food triangle bullshit where the majority of our food should be carbs (sugar) and FAT is bad. This is bullshit that was pushed by the food industry in Europe and the UK for years and has been proven to be the major factor seriously bad for health and in the increase of obesity and type 2 diabetes since the end of rationing after WW2.
17/04/18 11:53 AM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Milla101's post:
Loganberry (17/04/18)
Loganberry Offline

Likes Given: 6,580
Sex: Undisclosed
All doctors are deluged by big Pharma and most doctors have their wages supplemented by big P.

Universities and medical schools also recieve funding from big P.
17/04/18 08:46 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Loganberry's post:
rubin (21/04/18)
QuinnDexter Offline
Uberfool

Likes Given: 1,762
I was in a local hospital yesterday (not for myself for once) and out of curiosity I picked up one of the NHS "smoke free" brochures. It was disappointing to observe that it had no information on ecigarettes in it whatsoever. When I looked at their website however, the picture was rather more encouraging. Presumably the site is more up to date with contemporary advice and opinions than the printed literature. Well worth a gander Smiling

https://www.nhs.uk/smokefree/help-and-ad...cigarettes

(This post was last modified: 18/04/18 10:15 AM by QuinnDexter.)
18/04/18 09:56 AM
ShagDoubt Offline
MV Pilot

Likes Given: 463
There’s doctors and then there’s doctors.

Mine was absolutely fine when I gave smoking up a few years ago and even told me nicotine was no more harmful than caffeine.

Sadly not all are so well educated.

18/04/18 12:28 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes ShagDoubt's post:
nisam (18/04/18)
Toby | iVapour Offline
eGoer
Vendors

Likes Given: 1,889
I remember going to the docs with my partner (dunno what about) back in 2008, and showing him a 901, and he was like - WTF!

And then after showing him a quick demo, he marveled at the device and gave his most wholehearted congratulations for giving up smoking. Smiling

18/04/18 12:50 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like Toby | iVapour's post:
Loganberry (19/04/18), nisam (18/04/18)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)