Important: Your continued use of this forum indicates acceptance of the forum rules. Please make sure you have read and understand these rules.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Squonk Rabbit Burning my Lips
datastreem Offline

Likes Given: 86
Sex: Male
Squonk Rabbit Burning my Lips
Hey guys,

Just bought my first "Squonk" it's a Geek Vape GBOX with a Dead Rabbit RDA.

Built a coil for it and wicked it fine after watching a few youtube video's, it's been modded so you can top fill whcih I think is really neat, there's only one thing that I found yesterday and that's the "Rabbit" get's really hot, so hot that it's at the point that it started burning my lips last night, now I'm used to a SMOK MAG prince/King tank and that's what I've been vaping on all day when I'm out at work, So huffing on that thing yeah the glass get's super hot at times but nothing burning your lips off.....

I have been using an ohm's law calculator to give the exact wattage to use, so input the volts and the resistance, the first time it come back at about 70 - 80 watts which I then proceeded to take a massive hit but realised that the "RDA" got super hot instantly and that the wattage was way to high, lowered it and tried again but since it was really hot anyway it just started to burn.

So ordered some 22mm heat sinks that sit between the mod and the tank hoping they will help cool it down, also been reading that maybe I should give it a more of a bigger huff to get more air flow down and out of it.....

So what's the crack with these little puppies heating up instantly with burning results for your face? Confused is it a case of letting them cool down and having a few lovely tokes and then leaving it? or something I'm doing wrong with the mod/RBA.

As for the mod, 10/10 for filling it, 10/10 for looks and feel, 10/10 for the way you build and put your new coils in, 10/10 for flavour, but alas, 1/10 for it burning your lips off after say toke number 4 or 5.

p.s I've tried a few drip tips, plastic and also the one that came with it, but that's even smaller where your lips actually get contact with the RBA.

Thanks

20/04/18 06:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
Izan Offline
tactless fuck

Likes Given: 3,068
RE: Squonk Rabbit Burning my Lips
(20/04/18 06:56 AM)datastreem Wrote:  Hey guys,

Just bought my first "Squonk" it's a Geek Vape GBOX with a Dead Rabbit RDA.

Built a coil for it and wicked it fine after watching a few youtube video's, it's been modded so you can top fill whcih I think is really neat, there's only one thing that I found yesterday and that's the "Rabbit" get's really hot, so hot that it's at the point that it started burning my lips last night, now I'm used to a SMOK MAG prince/King tank and that's what I've been vaping on all day when I'm out at work, So huffing on that thing yeah the glass get's super hot at times but nothing burning your lips off.....

I have been using an ohm's law calculator to give the exact wattage to use, so input the volts and the resistance, the first time it come back at about 70 - 80 watts which I then proceeded to take a massive hit but realised that the "RDA" got super hot instantly and that the wattage was way to high, lowered it and tried again but since it was really hot anyway it just started to burn.

So ordered some 22mm heat sinks that sit between the mod and the tank hopeing they will help cool it down, also been reading that maybe I should give it a more of a bigger huff to get more air flow down and out of it.....

So what's the crack with these little puppies heating up instantly with burning results for your face? Confused is it a case of letting them cool down and having a few lovely tokes and then leaving it? or something I'm doing wrong with the mod/RBA.

As for the mod, 10/10 for filling it, 10/10 for looks and feel, 10/10 for the way you build and put your new coils in, 10/10 for flavour, but alas, 1/10 for it burning your lips off after say toke number 4 or 5.

p.s I've tried a few drip tips, so plastic and also the one that came with it, but that's even smaller where your lips actually get contact with the RBA.

Thanks

Hi,
Tell us about the coil you built.
Material? DIA? wraps? single or dual? how long are your coil legs?
What are you wicking with?
What is the PG/Vg and nicotine content of the juice you have?
How is the air flow adjusted on the DR?

IMO: start with SIMPLE single wire coils (SS316 26-24awg).
BTW: coils are dead easy...wicking is the bugbear.

Cheers
I

20/04/18 07:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
[-] The following 2 users Like Izan's post:
datastreem (20/04/18), PixelChef (20/04/18)
decoy Offline

Likes Given: 9
Sex:
i know im not supposed to laff at others probs but i remember me and a lad from work doing the same thing a few years back
turn the power down man find the sweet spot were the vape isnt hot but warm and good flavour
smaller coils might help as you can only pull so much air across them
big silly builds dont always give the best vape
having said all that i do use a long tfv8 drip tip on top of most of my drippers
20/04/18 06:12 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes decoy's post:
datastreem (20/04/18)
PixelChef Offline
Smoked Cheese Pig

Likes Given: 337
Sex: Undisclosed
More info would be handy, post a pic of your build and airflow if possible. An ohms law calculator may not be the best guide to help determine your ideal wattage if you're using a regulated mod.

RDAs dont get super hot per se, but an RDA with a stonking great pair of kanthal fused claptons in it fired at 80w may get just a wee bit toasty. 24mm drippers with raised posts like the Rabbit provide a lot of room for massive coils, which typically need a fair whack of wattage to get going, and can transfer a good deal of heat to your atomiser and lips as a result.

You could reduce the power requirement and associated heat by using similar coils made from a material with lower thermal inertia like ni80, or by using MORE roundwire kanthal coils in the ample space available.

This comes in at 0.3ohm and vapes well around 50w without being too hot to handle.
20/04/18 07:41 PM
[-] The following 2 users Like PixelChef's post:
datastreem (20/04/18), Izan (20/04/18)
datastreem Offline

Thanks for the replies.....went to the vape shop today and bought some 26-24awg single wire so I can try it on TC mode.(thanks Izan for the tip) sooo......you'll have to give me some slack as total n00bin fresh when it comes to this, not long a go I was on 100 rollies a day and now I is squonking.......so it's not all bad....... as for the Qustions which were asked...

Quote:Tell us about the coil you built. 0.85ohm clapton coil
Material? DIA? wraps? single or dual? how long are your coil legs? I cut the legs off the coils so they were pretty short...
What are you wicking with? cotton bacon.....
What is the PG/VG and nicotine content of the juice you have? PG/VG 70/30..... nicotine 18mg....but only use 3 - 5 drops per 10mil as I don't like it too strong....
How is the air flow adjusted on the DR? got the air flow direct next to the coils as per youtube video....

so seems like tonight I've been able to have a few more enjoyable tokes of it, but nothing too intense before it heats up....maybe because it's been seeping all day? I have no idea....

any way here's a picture of it....I shall try TC mode over the next few days, you guys think maybe single coil?

Vape shop told me to use single coil wraps, maybe like 9 or 10 at a time, and looking at the pic you posted Pixelchef looks like the same amount of wraps....??

p.s @ Decoy.....yeah man, always start of at a lower vape/wattage, but for this build couldn't get a hit mate...so bumped the amps up and melted me lip....HelpPlease

also I got a few new drip tips as well, they seem to be working a lot better than the old plastic one I used....not as much heat.....i think Undecided

20/04/18 10:43 PM
Vapperist Offline

Likes Given: 11
Sex:
Things you could try.
Lower the coils as close to the posts as possible(so that it keeps the heat from the top cap).
Push the coils closer together(keeps the heat from the barrel of the RDA).
03/06/18 07:39 PM
[-] The following 1 user Likes Vapperist's post:
datastreem (03/06/18)
datastreem Offline

(03/06/18 07:39 PM)Vapperist Wrote:  Things you could try.
Lower the coils as close to the posts as possible(so that it keeps the heat from the top cap).
Push the coils closer together(keeps the heat from the barrel of the RDA).

yeah good advice man, and thanks, after trial and error and a few youtube video's came across this...so don't have your coils on the edge!...Facepalm

03/06/18 08:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)