Important: Your continued use of this forum indicates acceptance of the forum rules. Please make sure you have read and understand these rules.

Poll: Temp Control v Straight Watts ?
Mainly temperature control
Mainly standard wattage
Mixture of both
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Temp Control or Standard Wattage ?
MDC Offline

Likes Given: 283
Sex: Male
RE: Temp Control or Standard Wattage ?
(31/08/17 09:24 AM)stevelauder Wrote:  I've always maintained that the main benefit of TC is when running a build with a lot of wire. Set the joules/watts sky high for instant ramp-up, then the TC cuts in and maintains the perfect temperature.

As I rarely use massive coils, that isn't often an issue for me. For those who do and with Kanthal, many modern mods allow you to program a preheat boost, watts and seconds. Not as easy as TC, needs trial and error, working upwards, but it does work.

Arctic Fox firmware for recent Joyetech/Eleaf/Wismec mods allows for this too.
31/08/17 09:56 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
stevelauder Online
Vendors

Likes Given: 682
Sex: Undisclosed
(31/08/17 09:56 AM)MDC Wrote:  As I rarely use massive coils, that isn't often an issue for me. For those who do and with Kanthal, many modern mods allow you to program a preheat boost, watts and seconds. Not as easy as TC, needs trial and error, working upwards, but it does work.

I've dabbled! But I found that, although the pre-heat was useful on the first vape, on subsequent vapes the pre-heat made the coil instantly too hot for the proceeding toots.

Maybe you're right... needed more trial and error!? But that's the benefit of the TC approach. It just works, with no need for additional tinkering.
31/08/17 10:03 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top
MDC Offline

Likes Given: 283
Sex: Male
(31/08/17 10:03 AM)stevelauder Wrote:  
(31/08/17 09:56 AM)MDC Wrote:  As I rarely use massive coils, that isn't often an issue for me. For those who do and with Kanthal, many modern mods allow you to program a preheat boost, watts and seconds. Not as easy as TC, needs trial and error, working upwards, but it does work.

I've dabbled! But I found that, although the pre-heat was useful on the first vape, on subsequent vapes the pre-heat made the coil instantly too hot for the proceeding toots.

Maybe you're right... needed more trial and error!? But that's the benefit of the TC approach. It just works, with no need for additional tinkering.

That could be an issue on a quick second toot, but as I rarely use big coils, a massive toot lasts me long enough for the coil to cool down.

I have used TC when I filled a tank before realising the stock coil was nickel, and it worked fine. Just not better though, and so I stick with Kanthal - higher resistance, and not as fussy if resistance fluctuates a little. I can live with the very occasional dry burn, as my coils are DIY. I only ever get dry burns with small tanks with restricted juice flow, used mainly to sample juices..
31/08/17 10:16 AM
Find all posts by this user Like Post Quote this message in a reply Return to top

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)